Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #1
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
MSD intake manifold install...

O.K. just to help me sleep at night, when I did this install a few months ago I had run across one post mentioning the black foam pad under the stock IM. It said that needed to be removed in order for the MSD to seal appropriately.

No one else, including MSD instruct's, mentioned the pad and the MSD IM did seem to seat much better without it.

So I left it out figuring it was more for sound deadening, etc.. And the engine could benefit fit from a bit more air flow/cooling thru that valley anyway and it would make even more noise. I did worry about a possible high pressure point that could erode due to vibration or whatever thru the composite manifold.

Now in JDP's recent video's showing a quick "how-to" for their different 550 and 650 N/A upgrades, they show their mechanic casually tossing the MSD on top of the same black pad.

Did I screw up? Up to this point I've had no adverse effect from leaving the pad out, but still have it. Should I put it back in? Am I just a few miles from catastrophic failure? I've had the IM inplace for at least 4K miles, and like I said there has been no problems- car is running great.

Any input/opinion is appreciated.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
If you take the intake off just to reuse the port gaskets then don’t touch it, not worth a vacuum leak.

I have the black pad on mine with no issues over the last 9 months but I used brand new gaskets
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
SanDMaN2091

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS A8 NPP
Heatsheilded

Heatsheild Products🙌🏻(No Black Pad) and what was said before if it's there already just leave it..its not worth getting into a vac leak over
Attached Images

LPE Ported/Polished 95mm LT5Throttle Body,
PRAY Ported MSD Intake Manifold,
SP Coated TSP 1 7/8" Catlless Longtubes
Hooker BlackHeart Cat-Back,
Mishimoto Catch Can (Which always has some nasty in it)
Instagram@Weapon_6
SanDMaN2091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Thank you gentlemen, I'll leave as is. I did use new gaskets for the install, just left out the pad. Do wish I'd known about the heat shield product- looks useful. Maybe next time around... there's always some other mod around the corner.
Thanks again!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
MP3BOOSTED

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE (F1A-94 FBO H/C)
haven't had my black pad on my car for a while now with running the MSD intake. i'm sure you'll be fine.
Performance Mods: F1A-94, DSX Flex Fuel Kit, MSD Spark Plug Wires, KOOK 2" off road headers, MBRP Race catback exhaust, Pray Performance Custom Boost Cam, Rocker Arm Trunion Upgrade Kit, 7.850" Hardened Chromemoly Length Pushrods and Johnson Racing 2110R Lifters, TSP CNC'd Heads, Ported MSD intake manifold, 103mm Katech Throttle body, Forged Pistons/Rods, RPM Meth kit, DSX Aux Fuel system, AEM Failsafe and banks gauge, LT4 HPFP, LT4 injectors, BMR motor mounts, Hurst Short Throw, Manley SS exhaust valves

Videos of my car? Check here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNi...Qy1OL4NVGlPogw
MP3BOOSTED is offline   Reply With Quote