Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Texas

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
egypt123

Drives: none
Shudder Problems - Houston - Novice and Need Advice

Anyone here in the HOU/Galveston area do anything about the A8 shudder problem? I'm curious if:

1. You just did the HP Tuner method and how did you tune it or what shop did the tune (and possibly the cost)?

or

2. If you did the full Circle D TC swap and who did the TC replacement work (and possibly the cost)

or

3. If you did both and who did the TC swap and Tune?

I'm going to try the dealership flush route one more freaking time, but I just want this resolved once and for all!! Half tempted to trade this thing in for a used ZL1, manual SS, or a 2019 SS I don't track the car nor drive it terribly hard so I'd prefer to keep the current shift pattern/drive-ability of a daily driver if I do the Circle D TC swap so any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
If you're not gonna track it, wtf would you put circle D TC in it?
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:33 PM   #3
egypt123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
If you're not gonna track it, wtf would you put circle D TC in it?
To once and for all get rid of the shudder and not have to put my car in the shop every so often hoping GM will fix the thing. What does tracking it have to do with it anyway? I want a driveable car that doesn't bounce like hell every time I hit the road. Reading posts on this forum, others have suggested that was what they finally did to fix it. If anyone can actually provide an answer to my questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
X-Factor on here went through the process and had the TC changed out and no further issues. I'll ping her to pop in.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
X-Factor
Chick Racer

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
The triple flush was supposed to have helped and it did for a while, but on my car it didnt last, and I went through another round of triple flushes. (6 flushes total) Finally, after barely making it home from Camaro Fest 2018 because my car would shudder so bad in V8 mode, they finally listened and changed out the torque converter. I haven't had any problems. Work was done at Classic in Sugar Land... they kept on saying they had to "follow protocol".
Old 08-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
egypt123

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Factor View Post
The triple flush was supposed to have helped and it did for a while, but on my car it didnt last, and I went through another round of triple flushes. (6 flushes total) Finally, after barely making it home from Camaro Fest 2018 because my car would shudder so bad in V8 mode, they finally listened and changed out the torque converter. I haven't had any problems. Work was done at Classic in Sugar Land... they kept on saying they had to "follow protocol".
Thanks for the update. I had mine flushed again a couple weeks ago and drove it ~300+ miles and it is still doing it. I took it back to the dealership and this time they said they drove it and hooked up a "pico-meter" and couldn't find a problem and refused service. I drive this thing daily and it is certainly doing from time to time. This is the 4th time it's been in the shop for the tranny (changed the TC a year ago). Needless to say, I'm beyond frustrated. I have a Service Ticket in with GM hoping a GM manager will tell the dealership to do the work and change the TC.

I called Circle D and they said they can rebuild my current TC and replace the paper elements with a fiber material and that should fix it for ~$600. I don't plan on tracking the car and don't really want to spend $1300+labor+tune on a new Circle D TC, so I might have to try the rebuild route if GM won't get off their @$$ and fix this thing.

Last edited by egypt123; 08-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.
egypt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Whose your dealership? I would try Norman Frede off of Bay Area Blvd.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Bwright4

Drives: 2016 2SS Mosaic black,NPP,MRC
I am frustrated as well. I have '16 2ss with 20000 miles. My shudder is just now starting. I am now thinking that any 8 speed auto on the original GM list will eventually have the issue. Just matter of time. I was told gm does not really have a permanent fix yet other than new tranny. I love my car but just not wanting to go thru the frustrating fight to begin the attempts to fix. Camaro vaules in my area have plummeted. Is anyone joining the class action suit? I really Do not want to go down that road unless no choice. Would trade on 2020 a10 but so mad at gm handling of this issue and hate to lose so much on trade in. If anyone has any other updates on issue please post . As i mentioned my car has just started to have a problem.
Bwright4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #9
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwright4 View Post
I am frustrated as well. I have '16 2ss with 20000 miles. My shudder is just now starting. I am now thinking that any 8 speed auto on the original GM list will eventually have the issue. Just matter of time. I was told gm does not really have a permanent fix yet other than new tranny. I love my car but just not wanting to go thru the frustrating fight to begin the attempts to fix. Camaro vaules in my area have plummeted. Is anyone joining the class action suit? I really Do not want to go down that road unless no choice. Would trade on 2020 a10 but so mad at gm handling of this issue and hate to lose so much on trade in. If anyone has any other updates on issue please post . As i mentioned my car has just started to have a problem.
My 2016 just hit 69k miles and I think I'm experiencing shudder now, I've only had it since 61k miles but nothing like this has shown up now.
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote