Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-06-2019, 02:16 PM   #1
AcmeCamaro
Acme

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Tuning help

I'm guessing theres a ton of threads for this already. So apologies in advance. I am trying to figure out a way to either get smart on some very basic tuning or a way to find some generic tunes for the next 6 months while I piece a build together.

Long story short. Right now I have LT headers cat delete stock NPP a cold air intake and a flex fuel sensor. I've decided to buy a few more.supporting mods for my cam. And some other odds and ends. But I'd like to get a tune for.the car as it sits so I can drive it running better and without the CEL.

What are my best options.
Cold Inductions intake
Flex Fuel converstion
MSD Ignition System
HPtuner
American Flag Half wrap
AcmeCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #2
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
Best option if you are stage building is to work with a dealer that tunes as you go.

Some dealers out there (I think Jannetty Racing) will do tunes for mods you buy thru them as long as you buy the initial tunes thru them. Call to inquire with them to check first.

There are a ton of resources on the HPTuners forums, and you have the option of doing training thru the Tuning School.

With so many variations of things like fuel type (E85 varies greatly state to state) I would be cautious of any canned tune with the direct injection.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcmeCamaro View Post
I'm guessing theres a ton of threads for this already. So apologies in advance. I am trying to figure out a way to either get smart on some very basic tuning or a way to find some generic tunes for the next 6 months while I piece a build together.

Long story short. Right now I have LT headers cat delete stock NPP a cold air intake and a flex fuel sensor. I've decided to buy a few more.supporting mods for my cam. And some other odds and ends. But I'd like to get a tune for.the car as it sits so I can drive it running better and without the CEL.

What are my best options.
Hello,

Your post sounds like you’re a DIY kind of person that wants to learn and also be hands on with your build. If that’s the case here are my thoughts.

Add to your lists of parts a pass-through wideband O2 gage. This will come with OBDII interface and bung needed for the wideband. The AEM gage works with HPTuners as described in their video.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...and-uego-obdii

Here’s a video on the AEM gage and HPT.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QI33c_...ature=youtu.be

Once you have all of this installed you’ll be able log files that you can share for a remote tune or tune yourself if you’re confident.

Ask questions as often from reliable source(s). Also, read, read and read some more. There are a lot of people on this forum that have helped me indirectly because of their posting and experience. (End users, dealers and Tuners)

This channel is great for people starting out with tuning and goes from easy to more advanced with explanations.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCP_LcnBKwJqJOiGoCRT5SCw

I agree with DorkMissle, working with a dealer that sells equipment and supports tuning is highly recommended.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 AM   #4
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
you're not driving it with a cam and no tune are you? if you are stop and get a tune. go with HP Tuners only and find a GM dyno tuner with a eddy brake. Tuning on the LT1 is not a DIY thing. you have to go to school to learn it. Its not like the LS motors. theres alot more to it. Go to a performance shop that basically only works on GM.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
It should have been tuned wayyyyyyyy back when.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
AcmeCamaro
Acme

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Hello,

Your post sounds like you’re a DIY kind of person that wants to learn and also be hands on with your build. If that’s the case here are my thoughts.

Add to your lists of parts a pass-through wideband O2 gage. This will come with OBDII interface and bung needed for the wideband. The AEM gage works with HPTuners as described in their video.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...and-uego-obdii

Here’s a video on the AEM gage and HPT.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QI33c_...ature=youtu.be

Once you have all of this installed you’ll be able log files that you can share for a remote tune or tune yourself if you’re confident.

Ask questions as often from reliable source(s). Also, read, read and read some more. There are a lot of people on this forum that have helped me indirectly because of their posting and experience. (End users, dealers and Tuners)

This channel is great for people starting out with tuning and goes from easy to more advanced with explanations.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCP_LcnBKwJqJOiGoCRT5SCw

I agree with DorkMissle, working with a dealer that sells equipment and supports tuning is highly recommended.

Solid read on saying I'm a DIY kinda guy. A wideband is already on the build list and one of the things already in the mail.

No the car does have the cam installed currently. Little a cat delete pipe and a CAI are all that separate the car from stock.

The headers, borla atak dual mode,ignition system, cam, and install kit, flex fuel sensor, are all sitting in the garage waiting. But I decided to wait because I want to get a better fuel system, ported TB and IMB, stage 2 heads, and a couple other supporting mods I'm sure will come with recommendations from people on here smarter than me lol. But a lot of the same labor goes into those mods so waiting is better. I just did the cat delete because I wanted to hear the car more while I wait.
Cold Inductions intake
Flex Fuel converstion
MSD Ignition System
HPtuner
American Flag Half wrap
AcmeCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
yep your doing it right. all at the same time is the best way to go.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote