Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-06-2017, 02:21 PM   #29
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
What's the word so far?
Getting the ball rolling. I'll report back when I have something for the members.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #30
GTgamo

Drives: Millennium Buzzard
Could this problem potentially cause a complete loss of control? I have read through the many issues in other threads however I can not isolate what is the source of the problem in a unmodified vehicle.. Is there a remedy to prevent this from happening?

Last edited by GTgamo; 03-06-2017 at 08:03 PM.
GTgamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #31
meyouand987.2

Drives: 2011 Cayman R 2017 1LE
I "heard" there is a software issue that has not been addressed, but that was an (well multiple) ss. Just curious did you lift over turn 1? getting off the throttle there unloads the car.
meyouand987.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:38 AM   #32
OminouSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyouand987.2 View Post
I "heard" there is a software issue that has not been addressed, but that was an (well multiple) ss. Just curious did you lift over turn 1? getting off the throttle there unloads the car.
The onset of the problem was just feet before turn 1. I immediately knew there was a problem with steering and motored through apex before lifting about 25% on the downward side. My fear was a full lift would spin me at the crest with compromised steering input. Glad I don't have to question whether I did the right thing.

We will try to find out what is up this week. Trying to see what GM is going to do as far as support. I'll do some more research on the software update you mention. Thanks for that.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:42 AM   #33
OminouSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTgamo View Post
Could this problem potentially cause a complete loss of control? I have read through the many issues in other threads however I can not isolate what is the source of the problem in a unmodified vehicle.. Is there a remedy to prevent this from happening?
You know, this got me thinking...GM Customer Service asked what size and brand tires I was running. I wonder if people who are running modified tire sizes are affected. I would not be in that group however as I am running stock sizes at all four corners, albeit with MRR's. We'll see...
Old 03-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #34
GTgamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
You know, this got me thinking...GM Customer Service asked what size and brand tires I was running. I wonder if people who are running modified tire sizes are affected. I would not be in that group however as I am running stock sizes at all four corners, albeit with MRR's. We'll see...

Maybe a NHTA Vehicle Safety Complaint should be filed....

www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint
Old 03-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #35
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
Electric Steering, Smart Phones, Drive by wire.........They call it progress. ARRRGGGGhhh
Yup, what happens when some sun spots shut off all electricity on the planet? Armegeddon.

It can happen. Keep plenty of canned goods around.

http://freebeacon.com/national-secur...jor-sun-storm/
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #36
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Yup, what happens when some sun spots shut off all electricity on the planet? Armegeddon.

It can happen. Keep plenty of canned goods around.

http://freebeacon.com/national-secur...jor-sun-storm/
Or good hunting skills.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #37
OminouSS

And beer. mmmmm. Beer.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #38
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
The onset of the problem was just feet before turn 1. I immediately knew there was a problem with steering and motored through apex before lifting about 25% on the downward side. My fear was a full lift would spin me at the crest with compromised steering input. Glad I don't have to question whether I did the right thing.

We will try to find out what is up this week. Trying to see what GM is going to do as far as support. I'll do some more research on the software update you mention. Thanks for that.
You did the EXACT right thing in not fully lifting. Not trying to diagnose or anything, but it sounded/looked like your car was essentially trying to steer itself. If you would have lifted completely, it would have loaded the front tires more, and you could easily have spun out.

As an instructor, that's what we like to see. Quick recognition of a problem, and then a smooth recovery without drama.

I used to joke with my students that, if they had a problem on track, I expected to see a smooth pull off the driving line, with a fist out the window to indicate trouble (as soon as practical). When they get to the pits, they can show me the brown spot in their seat. But, I don't want to know how serious it was by their reaction on the track.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #39
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Also . . . I just realized something.

I believe that this is the first time that I may have seen evidence of the "GM will cover track events with the warranty".
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #40
OminouSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
You did the EXACT right thing in not fully lifting. Not trying to diagnose or anything, but it sounded/looked like your car was essentially trying to steer itself. If you would have lifted completely, it would have loaded the front tires more, and you could easily have spun out.

As an instructor, that's what we like to see. Quick recognition of a problem, and then a smooth recovery without drama.

I used to joke with my students that, if they had a problem on track, I expected to see a smooth pull off the driving line, with a fist out the window to indicate trouble (as soon as practical). When they get to the pits, they can show me the brown spot in their seat. But, I don't want to know how serious it was by their reaction on the track.
That's quality advice right there. Smelly, but useful. I don't even remember what I did after that point since there were so many thoughts running through my mind but I do remember putting the fist up right at turn 3 so the corner worker could see my problem. They were quick to throw a course caution and I am grateful. Good crew at MLS. Thanks for the pointers!

Oh, and yeah...it does seem like they're going to come through. I still have to go back to my original thought by saying without this post indicating so, I can't see that anybody could tell if it was on the track or not. Personally, I am all for the truth even if they may not cover it. I would rather have an honest diagnosis so I know what actually caused it in the first place. Plus I believe in karma and race tracks aren't the place I want to test that theory.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #41
GTgamo

Any updates, or news regarding this issue?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:02 PM   #42
LibertyHill

Drives: 16 2SS 6MT NPP MRC / 15 K1300S
I would be interested in seeing if the paint is removed from the ground attachment point on the chassis.

Rohana RFX-5 10/11, M/T 275/305, Eibachs, Hellwigs, Hurst SS, DMS LT4 SC 596HP/589TQ, DMS Low-side, Kooks 2LTs, MBRP Race, Rotofab, MMS CC
LibertyHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, rack & pinion, steering