Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Dirty Brake Fluid

Anyone else's brake fluid looking really dirty? I flushed it and put in Motul RBF 600 in October. Had one track day, then took a look at it a couple weeks ago and was shocked to see it looking dark brown.

I bought another couple bottles of RBF 600 and attempted flushing it through with my power bleeder, but it is still pretty brown. Not sure how to get all the grime out there without a professional setup.

Funny thing is there were no bubbles or anything when I flushed it. Seemed like it was just dirty.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I flushed mine yesterday with 900 miles. The calipers came out a bit cloudy at first. Also having the clutch linked into the brakes also makes it get dirty quicker.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Heat will often change the color a bit in my experience. Perhaps when you were on track you hit the ABS a few times which pushed some of the old fluid out of the solenoid back into the system and that may have changed the color a tad as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
brake fluid doesnt stay clean as soon as its in the system it gets dirty but as long as it doesnt look like turkey gravy its fine lol i mean i usually do a full flush and refill once a year or so
Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #5
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I flushed mine yesterday with 900 miles. The calipers came out a bit cloudy at first. Also having the clutch linked into the brakes also makes it get dirty quicker.
If the clutch and brake fluid are together, that's where the dirt is coming from. Every time the clutch slave cylinder cycles it picks up a little clutch dust. Every LS powered vehicle I've ever owned I flush the clutch fluid every oil change. I would try to do the same with the Camaro, even if you are just sucking out the MC and refilling.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
IrishCoffee

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Intersting. I've performed brake fluid flushes on several of my past vehicles and have never seen it look so brown. The fluid on my 14 1LE was a bit darker after track usage, but this is ridiculous. It was like the color of coke.
IrishCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
booyaa56

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
I got the same thing going on as well, Boost Creep how do I go about flushing the clutch fluid?
booyaa56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #8
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyaa56 View Post
I got the same thing going on as well, Boost Creep how do I go about flushing the clutch fluid?
If the clutch and brake fluid are in the same reservoir then sucking out the master cylinder and refilling with fresh fluid, followed by a good bleeding should clean out the fluid pretty good.

At work I have a vacuum bleeder, by you might be able to get away with a turkey baster type thing. Just be careful as brake fluid is great at removing paint.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #9
booyaa56

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LE
I do use a Motive power bleeder, so I guess I’ll give it a good flush to get it cleaned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
If the clutch and brake fluid are in the same reservoir then sucking out the master cylinder and refilling with fresh fluid, followed by a good bleeding should clean out the fluid pretty good.

At work I have a vacuum bleeder, by you might be able to get away with a turkey baster type thing. Just be careful as brake fluid is great at removing paint.
booyaa56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #10
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
my fluid is turning dark after a few laps at the track. I flushed a couple weeks ago in preperation using rbf 600. Guess it's a good idea to flush after each track day.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #11
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
my fluid is turning dark after a few laps at the track. I flushed a couple weeks ago in preperation using rbf 600. Guess it's a good idea to flush after each track day.
That should not be necessary at all. I flush once a year and bleed after 6 or 7 track days (SRF). I have never seen any brake fluid go Coke color after a few laps. Maybe it is something to do with RBF 600? Seems both of you see similar results with it?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #12
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
That should not be necessary at all. I flush once a year and bleed after 6 or 7 track days (SRF). I have never seen any brake fluid go Coke color after a few laps. Maybe it is something to do with RBF 600? Seems both of you see similar results with it?
hmmm...I mean i'm just looking at the resevoir, i'm sure that's obvious, but that said, the brake fliud doesn't circulate right? So how does res fluid get dirty or whatever is causing the color change. Could it be fluid from clutch?
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #13
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
hmmm...I mean i'm just looking at the resevoir, i'm sure that's obvious, but that said, the brake fliud doesn't circulate right? So how does res fluid get dirty or whatever is causing the color change. Could it be fluid from clutch?
Likely it is the clutch causing it vs the brakes id say.
my reservoir always stays super clean even when fluid comes out dark when bleeding brakes. Not sure what may be causing it for ya. Will check with my mechanic and report back.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #14
Boost Creep

Quote:
It will circulate a little bit, but not a whole lot.
Clutch would be the biggest culprit as the travel is greater than the brakes so the fluid flow back and forth will be the most.