Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Southeast

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #15
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecchi667 View Post
Sounds great, sorry I missed it! I'd have been bummed if my heat was in the rain, though - I've no problem driving in rain, but it takes the fun out of a timed event I'm sure. Certainly takes the fun away on a track day in my experience, anyway! Then again, it would give me an excuse to just run the whole event sideways...

I'm going to go for some light-weight wheels and grippy tyres at some point. Will *probably* get the fender replaced first. I almost went for the 1LE front and rear sway bars, but am holding off so far - would that be worth doing without any other suspension upgrades do you think? They're only about $160 for a set right now I think.

I may have a co-driver next race. She's the NC champion for figure 8 racing, 2014 and 2015. So...that should be interesting!
It's actually fun and a totally different challenge driving fast in the rain while maintaining control of the vehicle. That being said I do prefer the dry.

Wheels and tires are the best first upgrade for autocross. If you intend to run the car in F-Street you must maintain the stock wheel width, but you can change the diameter by +/1 1 inch, and the offsets can vary by +/- 7mm, tires must be 200 treadwear or higher, but you can put whatever size tire will fit the stock wheel width. You can remove or replace 1 swaybar in FS, not both. Other suspension modifications are limited to changing shocks or struts. Allowed mods for street classes are very limited, but its still super competitive and a lot of fun. I suggest you start there and then if you decide you have to do more to the car you can move to something like CAM class where mods are pretty much unlimited, but things get really expensive really fast there.

Co-Drivers are always welcome. Has she autocrossed before? If not even though she has other motorsports experience she should still sign up as a novice, and if the instructor signs off on them knowing up from down and she doesn't want/need any coaching she wont have to after the first run.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:52 AM   #16
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
It's actually fun and a totally different challenge driving fast in the rain while maintaining control of the vehicle. That being said I do prefer the dry.

Wheels and tires are the best first upgrade for autocross. If you intend to run the car in F-Street you must maintain the stock wheel width, but you can change the diameter by +/1 1 inch, and the offsets can vary by +/- 7mm, tires must be 200 treadwear or higher, but you can put whatever size tire will fit the stock wheel width. You can remove or replace 1 swaybar in FS, not both. Other suspension modifications are limited to changing shocks or struts. Allowed mods for street classes are very limited, but its still super competitive and a lot of fun. I suggest you start there and then if you decide you have to do more to the car you can move to something like CAM class where mods are pretty much unlimited, but things get really expensive really fast there.

Co-Drivers are always welcome. Has she autocrossed before? If not even though she has other motorsports experience she should still sign up as a novice, and if the instructor signs off on them knowing up from down and she doesn't want/need any coaching she wont have to after the first run.
Oh, I can see how the rain *can* be fun, but I'm from the UK, remember - I've spent most of my life driving in the rain!

Good to know about the wheel limits. I want to match the 1LE tyre widths. I wonder if the stock wheel width will take those...probably not! It'll be a while yet anyway, so plenty of time to research. Also, I'd assumed CAM meant the car had an uprated cam - which did seem an odd class to me. "Pretty much unlimited" makes much more sense. "Covering All Mods", "Crazy Amount Modified", "Cool Ass Motor". I dunno...seeing as it seems to be a lot of Corvettes, I'll go with "Corvettes And Miscellaneous".

I'm not sure if she has autocrossed before, but I'd put her in Novice anyway as I feel that's the place to start regardless. Does everybody in Novice run with an instructor for their first run, regardless of how many times they've been before? In other words, do I need an instructor for my first run next time, or am I signed off as mostly competent? I'm not really bothered either way as the first run is more about learning the track than getting a good time, but just curious.

Cheers!
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #17
Egon

Quote:
Oh, I can see how the rain *can* be fun, but I'm from the UK, remember - I've spent most of my life driving in the rain!

Good to know about the wheel limits. I want to match the 1LE tyre widths. I wonder if the stock wheel width will take those...probably not! It'll be a while yet anyway, so plenty of time to research. Also, I'd assumed CAM meant the car had an uprated cam - which did seem an odd class to me. "Pretty much unlimited" makes much more sense. "Covering All Mods", "Crazy Amount Modified", "Cool Ass Motor". I dunno...seeing as it seems to be a lot of Corvettes, I'll go with "Corvettes And Miscellaneous".

I'm not sure if she has autocrossed before, but I'd put her in Novice anyway as I feel that's the place to start regardless. Does everybody in Novice run with an instructor for their first run, regardless of how many times they've been before? In other words, do I need an instructor for my first run next time, or am I signed off as mostly competent? I'm not really bothered either way as the first run is more about learning the track than getting a good time, but just curious.

Cheers!
LOL true enough.

CAM stands for Classic American Muscle. The category was created to compete with the Goodguys Ultimate Street Car series, and allow people that have built cars for that series to compete in SCCA. Its for Domestic automobiles with front engine RWD configurations. There is CAM-T (Traditional) for 1989 and earlier cars, and CAM-C (Contemporary) anything 1990 and newer, and CAM-S (Sports) which allows for some shorter wheelbase cars. Its pretty popular, but its EXPENSIVE to keep up with the Joneses since there really is no practical limit to modifications. I have also never met anyone with a CAM car that ever thought it was "finished" they always have more plans on things to modify.

We like to have an instructor in for at least one lap with every novice. If you have done it before and we have seen you at our events before and you are known not to be an idiot you can probably talk to the novice chief and they can sign off on you not having an instructor. The benefits of an instructor are overwhelmingly positive though so I recommend that you have one ride with you as much as possible. Most instructors will have you drive by yourself on your last 2 laps anyways. Novice class is not a competition, and although I say that, I know full well people want to get the fastest time and I would include myself in that statement as well. Just think of it as an opportunity to learn from some really experienced drivers, some of them are National Champions, and I recommend that you take advantage of it while its available to you. If you would rather not have one though we can talk to Robby next event you are there.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #18
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
IS IT 4/22 YET?!! I can't wait to get back out there. John what's the difference in this 2 day event in comparison to the event I was at on 3/4?
Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 AM   #19
Ecchi667

Quote:
LOL true enough.

CAM stands for Classic American Muscle. The category was created to compete with the Goodguys Ultimate Street Car series, and allow people that have built cars for that series to compete in SCCA. Its for Domestic automobiles with front engine RWD configurations. There is CAM-T (Traditional) for 1989 and earlier cars, and CAM-C (Contemporary) anything 1990 and newer, and CAM-S (Sports) which allows for some shorter wheelbase cars. Its pretty popular, but its EXPENSIVE to keep up with the Joneses since there really is no practical limit to modifications. I have also never met anyone with a CAM car that ever thought it was "finished" they always have more plans on things to modify.

We like to have an instructor in for at least one lap with every novice. If you have done it before and we have seen you at our events before and you are known not to be an idiot you can probably talk to the novice chief and they can sign off on you not having an instructor. The benefits of an instructor are overwhelmingly positive though so I recommend that you have one ride with you as much as possible. Most instructors will have you drive by yourself on your last 2 laps anyways. Novice class is not a competition, and although I say that, I know full well people want to get the fastest time and I would include myself in that statement as well. Just think of it as an opportunity to learn from some really experienced drivers, some of them are National Champions, and I recommend that you take advantage of it while its available to you. If you would rather not have one though we can talk to Robby next event you are there.
Nah that's cool, I'm happy having somebody ride with me on the first lap to remind me it's not a drift event anyway.

I'm also wondering about the two day format. Is it Saturday AND Sunday, or one or the other? Or is it a misprint and it's actually just Sunday? Or is one day of it schooling?
Old 03-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #20
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
IS IT 4/22 YET?!! I can't wait to get back out there. John what's the difference in this 2 day event in comparison to the event I was at on 3/4?
Quote:
Nah that's cool, I'm happy having somebody ride with me on the first lap to remind me it's not a drift event anyway.

I'm also wondering about the two day format. Is it Saturday AND Sunday, or one or the other? Or is it a misprint and it's actually just Sunday? Or is one day of it schooling?
The two day event is just that two days, Saturday and Sunday, and combines your times from each day just like a SCCA Championship tour or Nationals would. There will be a different course each day as well. Novices still get 5 runs each day. They are a lot of fun, but exhausting. Make sure you wear sunscreen. I will be posting event information here in a few days.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #21
Ecchi667

Quote:
The two day event is just that two days, Saturday and Sunday, and combines your times from each day just like a SCCA Championship tour or Nationals would. There will be a different course each day as well. Novices still get 5 runs each day. They are a lot of fun, but exhausting. Make sure you wear sunscreen. I will be posting event information here in a few days.
Sweet, thanks man! I'll most likely try to find somewhere to stay nearby Saturday night, then. A cheap motel would probably be about the same as the gas to drive home and back anyway!

Looking forward to it!