Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
Vhp04

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1
Nitrous question

I got a 2018 Camaro ZL1, with heads, cam, flex fuel, upper and lower pulleys, ice tank. But my question that I’m debating to adding Nitrous 150 shot, but wanted to know if someone in here has done that and what are the pros and cons.

Thanks
Vhp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
Hello.

I do have one vehicle on spray. It's not my ZL1, it's my SRT10. I have also installed it on a number of vehicles. I have enough spare parts to almost have a full kit for my ZL1. I won't do it though. Atleast Not yet. With the mods you have listed, Fuel will be my main concern. Specifically a 150 shot with everything you have listed will likely push your fuel pump beyond it's capacity. A secondary fuel tank for just the nitrous system is ideal, as well as a progressive controller. I use the JMS controller on my SRT 10 and it's a pretty clean install overall. Another thing to consider is mounting the bottle, and bottle size. I always advise a larger bottle. I have a 10lb and a 15lb. The 10LB is the backup to the 15.

Nitrous has the wonderful ability to cool the intake charge on a supercharged vehicle and give more HP and TQ than would normally be attained from a non supercharged vehicle. Hope it works out for you.

I don't use it as often as I thought I would. It works great, but it was hard to get the power to the ground as it is. Nitrous is only useful on the street in my car in 3rd gear. that puts me at about 85 when it goes active. 345 Corsa Pzeros spin easy in first and second. Shifting into third at 85/90 kinda makes it hard to use. On a super hot day I can use it in 2nd but the progressive controller limits how much I get for the short time in second.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
Vhp04

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1
Thank you, I’m looking for all the different options , and combinations there are out there, and yes I think it’s going to be hard to put it I to the ground all that power, I just did the 15” conversion hopefully that helps. Thanks
Vhp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 PM   #4
Rapidfire

Drives: 2018 A8 ZO6 black rose metallic
150 is the question.. may want to pull a couple degrees of timing
100 shot is no problem at all.. the good thing about the lt4 is the forged pistons and heavy rods.. lt1 will not take as much due to weaker pistons and rods..but 150 is not a big shot.. I see no problem.
Rapidfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #5
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
OP, are you dyno'd? What are you at if you know?

Progressive controllers are a must. The controller can also activate a timing retard if needed. There are timing control boxes that will connect inline with the Intake temp sensor and artificially turn up the temp and the computer will pull timing ( depending on how it's tuned ) Lots of ways to do this. In the Viper community we had to pull tricks like that because tuning is a PITA for Gen 4&5 cars. Fortunately for us in the Camaro world... we have things like this:

https://nitrousoutlet.com/i-30561026...1-l86-l83.html

I have used Nitrous outlet for a lot of parts. Good prices and they were willing to make parts. (I am the very first Gen 4 viper with a throttle body plate nitrous system.) They had to make the plates for me. Then they made them a regular item on their site.

Edited to add...

Is your car a Manual or a A10?

Thinking about how fast this car shifts, I would like to know if the throttle blade closes at all as it shifts. If you have an A10... Nitrous could be a bit tricky. Don't spray unless at wide open throttle... Nitrous controllers don't allow the system to work outside of WOT. Now... you can program what WOT is. Generally it's 5V measured at the TPMS on a fuel injected car. The progressive controller resets when I shift in the SRT10 because I do let off the throttle as not to bounce off the rev limiter. The controller does turn the nitrous off past 6200 RPM. Not a big deal for speed runs in the half mile or 1 mile runs, but an A10 and the low gearing we have, I wouldn't really want nitrous till maybe 5th gear, and even then... just for speed runs.

Just thinking out loud here. I looked in the forum here at the power adders area. Nitrous doesn't seem to be a common thing for our cars even though it would work great in theory.

Last edited by Getnlwr; 09-20-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
U may want to run a small dedicated fuel tank and pump for the nitrous. I used to run a small 3 gal tank under the hood. I know others that did the same.

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote