Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-02-2021, 09:54 PM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Toyo Proxes R888R

Looking into a set of these tires for the rear while running a summer performance tire up front like a Continental ECS or Michelin PS4S.

How do you guys like these Toyo R888R tires? What kind of mileage can I expect out of them on average with mainly normal drives and some fun runs here and there? How do they handle rain if you happen to get caught in it?

Heard they are noisy but is it honestly that bad and unbearable? Maybe only having a set in the rear will be less noisy versus having it on all four corners.

How is the grip when heavy on the throttle from a standstill and slow rolling speeds anywhere from 0-40 mph?

Anyone with experiences with these tires please share. Thanks in advance for answering all questions.
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:59 PM   #2
Getnlwr

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 '08 SRT10
Personally I am not a fan of running miss-matched rubber on any of my cars. Why not do all 4?
Getnlwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:27 AM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Running R888R rear and PS4S front seems to have some benefits for street driving and straight line performance with a ZL1 or similar cars, the R888R has the maximum dry grip for launching hard and the PS4S will help if you hit some water unexpectedly like the sprinkler runoff from houses in canyons near my house in LA hills. R888R are not good in water.

For combo street, canyon carving and some circuit track use, definitely go PS4S, GY SC3 or R888R on all 4.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
I can tell you that I have been extremely disappointed with the 888Rs on my ZL1 1LE. They have better cold grip that the 3Rs but they were like ice skates at operating temp. I tried a wide array of hot tire temps from 32-39 psi and the car was always a handful. I went back to the 3Rs and letting them warm up first before going hard I was able to shave 6 seconds off my lap times at Sebring on the same weekend. Lap times went from 2:26-2:28s to 2:20-2:22s. The car was much more stable and I wasn't fighting the car at all during the laps. The 3Rs also gave me good grip through 2 days where the 888Rs would be ok for most of the first day and then really fall off the second day. Maybe they are better for straight line launches but I wouldn't recommend them for road course or track use.

And yes, they are VERY noisy.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #5
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Simple - Michelin PS4S for the Street / GY3R for the Track.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
What is the goal here? Straight line acceleration or road course?
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getnlwr View Post
Personally I am not a fan of running miss-matched rubber on any of my cars. Why not do all 4?
I would do this setup to help disperse some of the wet out of the way with the summer performance tires up front and to cut down on some possible noise. Also I never had Toyos before so I'd want to see how they do in the rear first and if I truly like them then get all four next time if not than a different R compound in the rear. I'm mostly doing straight line stuff and not so much road course as well.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:19 AM   #8
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
What is the goal here? Straight line acceleration or road course?
Mainly straight line. I know the R888Rs are more suited for road course and other R compound tires are for straight line but heard a lot of good things with the Toyos and seen folks use them in the rear as they put the power down better than some of the other R tires like Nitto from what I've seen.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #9
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
Mainly straight line. I know the R888Rs are more suited for road course and other R compound tires are for straight line but heard a lot of good things with the Toyos and seen folks use them in the rear as they put the power down better than some of the other R tires like Nitto from what I've seen.
Straight line acceleration, the Nitto 555R2 is superior to any other street driven tire. The Toyo's look cool and that seems to be the reason most people choose them. Then they realize how noisy they are and they're absolutely awful in the rain.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
Z OH 6

Quote:
I would do this setup to help disperse some of the wet out of the way with the summer performance tires up front and to cut down on some possible noise. Also I never had Toyos before so I'd want to see how they do in the rear first and if I truly like them then get all four next time if not than a different R compound in the rear. I'm mostly doing straight line stuff and not so much road course as well.
You can run mismatched tires this way without any issue. If you were concerned though about the looks, go with the Nitto G2 on the front and the 555R2 on the rear. The tread pattern matches.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #11
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakskeet View Post
I can tell you that I have been extremely disappointed with the 888Rs on my ZL1 1LE. They have better cold grip that the 3Rs but they were like ice skates at operating temp. I tried a wide array of hot tire temps from 32-39 psi and the car was always a handful. I went back to the 3Rs and letting them warm up first before going hard I was able to shave 6 seconds off my lap times at Sebring on the same weekend. Lap times went from 2:26-2:28s to 2:20-2:22s. The car was much more stable and I wasn't fighting the car at all during the laps. The 3Rs also gave me good grip through 2 days where the 888Rs would be ok for most of the first day and then really fall off the second day. Maybe they are better for straight line launches but I wouldn't recommend them for road course or track use.

And yes, they are VERY noisy.

Interesting I rarely hear of the Toyos letting anyone down. But everyone has there preferences for which tire seemed to personally hook better for them. Bob down the street could have luck hooking better with the R888Rs while Tommy next door seems to hook better with a MT or a Nitto. It's almost like supplements in a sense that everyone's body chemistry is different and what supplement works for one person may not work for the other person. Maybe not the best analogy but you get what I'm saying. I think it's a matter of seeing how the Toyos work for my car and if not then try something else. But if the Toyos really hook good well then I guess don't fix it if it's not broken.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #12
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
You can run mismatched tires this way without any issue. If you were concerned though about the looks, go with the Nitto G2 on the front and the 555R2 on the rear. The tread pattern matches.
I definitely heard good things about the 555r2 I'd have to try them too. I'm looking for a tire that will help put that power down better especially from a dig and low rolling speeds. I'm sure these tires hook great from 50 mph and above but I'd really like to hook much lower.

As cool looking as the 555g2s are paired with the 555r2 I'd have to use the Contis instead because according to discount tires website the G2s are a heavier tire. 5 pounds heavier per tire than the conti ECS. So I'd rather go with the lighter tire. The ECS tires are good and I'm sure they are better than the G2s.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:52 AM   #13
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Interesting I rarely hear of the Toyos letting anyone down. But everyone has there preferences for which tire seemed to personally hook better for them. Bob down the street could have luck hooking better with the R888Rs while Tommy next door seems to hook better with a MT or a Nitto. It's almost like supplements in a sense that everyone's body chemistry is different and what supplement works for one person may not work for the other person. Maybe not the best analogy but you get what I'm saying. I think it's a matter of seeing how the Toyos work for my car and if not then try something else. But if the Toyos really hook good well then I guess don't fix it if it's not broken.
Maybe so, but I have had two professional race car drivers drive my car. One drove for team Corvette at Daytona and Le Mans and the other is a current Xfinity series NASCAR driver. Both have commented on how lousy the grip from the 888Rs was. One of them basically sat me down and insisted that I go back to the 3Rs. Glad I listened to him.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #14
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Straight line acceleration, the Nitto 555R2 is superior to any other street driven tire. The Toyo's look cool and that seems to be the reason most people choose them. Then they realize how noisy they are and they're absolutely awful in the rain.
The tread pattern doesn't seem to be welcoming for the wet I can see that. Have you tried these tires in the wet before? Are these tires the white knuckleling the steering wheel and praying you make it home type?