Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-07-2021, 06:09 AM   #29
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHD ZL1 View Post
If that is the case, the only way the oil is going to make its way into the intake ports is by going threw the intercooler bricks fins. The pic posted (as well as the OP pics) doesn’t seem to indicate any oil staining on the intercooler bricks fins unless they have done a really good job of cleaning all the oil out of the fins however there would still be some form of discolouration in the fins (unless the pics don’t show the discolouration, sometimes things look different in the flesh vs in pics).

The oil is obviously being drawn up via the port in the valley plate, either going threw the rotor pack and coming out the discharge port or bypassing the rotor pack and coming up out of the bypass valve. That said, the oil still needs to make its way threw the bricks fins to get into the intake ports, surely there would be witness trace of oil residue in the fins if this is the case....no? For the amount of oil that’s in the ports, there would have to be a fair amount running threw the fins.
Every supercharger photo I’ve seen with the lid off no mater how many miles, the fins, rotors and bypass valve all look pretty clean.

Even the best designed catch can isn’t going to trap all the blowby. Caking on the back of the valves is going to happen at some point. A can might delay the buildup to 70,000 miles versus 40,000 without one. But it’s eventually going to happen.

Look, I’m not anti-catch can. On a high HP build it makes perfect sense to add one. I’m just not convinced it’s worth all the trouble to install on a stock LT4 engine, especially if warranty coverage is important to you.

I’m sure the Elite folks will argue that I’m full of shit and show hundreds of photos of superchargers with dryed up oil caked all over them to get you to buy one of their cans. That’s their business and I wouldn’t expect them to do anything less.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #30
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
On a high HP build it makes perfect sense to add one.
I owned a 2000 LS1 but this is my first LT4. I've purchased a MM mild, not because my experience dictates it, but rather because those here with a lot of LT4 experience have said my engine needs one. I probably would not do a MM if mine was stock.
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.

Last edited by JSH; 03-07-2021 at 01:49 PM.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #31
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I owned a 2000 LS1 but this is my first LT4. I've purchased a MM not because my experience dictates it but because those with a lot of LT4 experience have said my engine needs one. I probably would not do a MM if mine was stock.
If you’re powertrain warranty is gone because of engine mods, a catch can is a reasonable addition.

Where I scratch my head is when I hear owners say they’ll just remove the can when their ZL1 needs servicing so there aren’t any warranty issues. A catch can isn’t a simple pass through on the LT4 like it is on the LT1 and LS engines.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #32
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If that's how oil blow-by looked after 67k miles, we don't have a big problem here.
Here is mine after just under 4000 miles. But the supercharger is not where the real evidence is. It's the intake ports; they are totally brown with oil stain. If I knew 3 months ago what I know now, I would have never even driven the car off the lot without putting in the CC. Now I have the MM Wild CC that has a blow off valve. It is virtually impossible for oil to blast it's way into the intake now. I'll know shortly what's possible in vacuum after I finish routing all the vacuum lines. However, the path from where all the oil was coming from is totally blocked. And positive oil laden pressure can leave the system out into the atmosphere. I want the least amount possible of an unburnable gas in my cylinders upon ignition. Honestly, I'm just shocked GM designed the PCV this way. Anyways, it is what it is. Just another project. If I get my Fedex tomorrow that has my American made torque wrench, I'll have it all back together tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bangkok_ZL1; 03-07-2021 at 10:01 AM.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #33
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Every supercharger photo I’ve seen with the lid off no mater how many miles, the fins, rotors and bypass valve all look pretty clean.

Even the best designed catch can isn’t going to trap all the blowby. Caking on the back of the valves is going to happen at some point. A can might delay the buildup to 70,000 miles versus 40,000 without one. But it’s eventually going to happen.

Look, I’m not anti-catch can. On a high HP build it makes perfect sense to add one. I’m just not convinced it’s worth all the trouble to install on a stock LT4 engine, especially if warranty coverage is important to you.

I’m sure the Elite folks will argue that I’m full of shit and show hundreds of photos of superchargers with dryed up oil caked all over them to get you to buy one of their cans. That’s their business and I wouldn’t expect them to do anything less.
As I just said, If I knew what i know now, I'd have installed the can before the car rolled off the lot. 4000 miles and its everywhere including inside head intake ports. My car is bone stock (for about 1 more month). The fact is the MM Wild CC has a blow off so (how I understand it) positive pressure blow by does not really have a chance to get into the intake. that's why I liked the MM Wild. I want a blow off valve rather than a closed system where positive pressure is still inside the system pushing the oil laden gases somewhere
Old 03-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #34
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
So im currently installing my Elite catch can and I'm replacing all the supercharger to head bolts. I find it weird that the majority of guys here have said that they couldn't remove or replace the rear bolts. Mean while my bolts came straight out with no problem. My Zl1 is 2020 can that make a difference
Only number 7 doesn't come straight out, or at least on my 2019 it doesn't. If you want to pull the SC. You tape it about 2 inches up and then you can easily yank the SC
Old 03-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #35
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
If that is the case, the only way the oil is going to make its way into the intake ports is by going threw the intercooler bricks fins. The pic posted (as well as the OP pics) doesn’t seem to indicate any oil staining on the intercooler bricks fins unless they have done a really good job of cleaning all the oil out of the fins however there would still be some form of discolouration in the fins (unless the pics don’t show the discolouration, sometimes things look different in the flesh vs in pics).

The oil is obviously being drawn up via the port in the valley plate, either going threw the rotor pack and coming out the discharge port or bypassing the rotor pack and coming up out of the bypass valve. That said, the oil still needs to make its way threw the bricks fins to get into the intake ports, surely there would be witness trace of oil residue in the fins if this is the case....no? For the amount of oil that’s in the ports, there would have to be a fair amount running threw the fins.
My RHD brother, it's bad. If you don't have a MM Wild, Get one immediately. My intake ports were totally stained oil brown. So oil is definitely getting through the brick fins. The first pics I posted, oil is dripping from my fingers and I hadn't started the car in 2-3 weeks!! Go wild because of the blow off. You just don't want to be sucking in those unburnable fumes, let them vent out. it's not good for combustion.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #36
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkok_ZL1 View Post
The fact is the MM Wild CC has a blow off so (how I understand it) positive pressure blow by does not really have a chance to get into the intake. that's why I liked the MM Wild.
You need to read this again https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=67

Excessive velocity and big lines are actually detrimental to separator performance (given the same separator volume).
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #37
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:

Even the best designed catch can isn’t going to trap all the blowby. Caking on the back of the valves is going to happen at some point.
I see it just the opposite. If you can reduce blowby carryover by 90+%, detergent in the gas should keep the valves relatively clean.

Again, Elite are the only guys actually doing the research and providing proof, everyone else just talks.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #38
RHD ZL1

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Here is mine after just under 4000 miles. But the supercharger is not where the real evidence is. It's the intake ports; they are totally brown with oil stain. If I knew 3 months ago what I know now, I would have never even driven the car off the lot without putting in the CC. Now I have the MM Wild CC that has a blow off valve. It is virtually impossible for oil to blast it's way into the intake now. I'll know shortly what's possible in vacuum after I finish routing all the vacuum lines. However, the path from where all the oil was coming from is totally blocked. And positive oil laden pressure can leave the system out into the atmosphere. I want the least amount possible of an unburnable gas in my cylinders upon ignition. Honestly, I'm just shocked GM designed the PCV this way. Anyways, it is what it is. Just another project. If I get my Fedex tomorrow that has my American made torque wrench, I'll have it all back together tomorrow.
Are those grey areas in the recent pics posted oil contamination or shadows due to the way the pics were taken? Those pics look totally different to the ones you initially posted. I know its an inconvenience, but is there any chance you can please turn your supercharger upside down and takes pics of the underside of the intercooler fins to see if there is oil actually traveling threw the fins for it to make its way into the intake ports? Thanks.

The oil contamination in the intake ports may not be coming from where people assume its coming from. I'm first trying to confirm that oil is actually passing threw the fins to be able to saturate the intake ports as there is no other path for the oil to get from the valleys breather port to the intake ports without passing threw the intercooler fins.
RHD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:04 PM   #39
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
And these engines are going to run forever without out a catch can too...jeez.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:21 AM   #40
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Quote:
Are those grey areas in the recent pics posted oil contamination or shadows due to the way the pics were taken? Those pics look totally different to the ones you initially posted. I know its an inconvenience, but is there any chance you can please turn your supercharger upside down and takes pics of the underside of the intercooler fins to see if there is oil actually traveling threw the fins for it to make its way into the intake ports? Thanks.

The oil contamination in the intake ports may not be coming from where people assume its coming from. I'm first trying to confirm that oil is actually passing threw the fins to be able to saturate the intake ports as there is no other path for the oil to get from the valleys breather port to the intake ports without passing threw the intercooler fins.
Brother, did you see the initial photos? The intake ports were soaked in oil. I have some pics with oil on my finger. That came from the intake ports. This is a brand new car. I do have to lift my supercharger a bit to exchange the number 7 bolt, but I dont have to pull it totally off again. Sorry man but I don't have new seals, I'm trying to be really delicate with it and move it around as little as possible. These second set of pics are screenshots from my initial clip, but because I was so pissed at GM, I used extreme Marine Corps language, which is what I always fall back to when some entity is unsat. And unsatisfactory was not the words I used in the clip to describe all the oil everywhere. So I took some screen shots of the clip from my Iphone. These pics are legit partner. Get the Freak'in can man or pay the price, LOL. Check it out, Just pull the lid and look for yourself. Pulling the lid is simple. Just pull the, I don't know, 16 bolts, It will take you 5 minutes literally. And then look for yourself. Then take some pics, then put the lid back on...
Old 03-08-2021, 06:11 AM   #41
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Only number 7 doesn't come straight out, or at least on my 2019 it doesn't. If you want to pull the SC. You tape it about 2 inches up and then you can easily yank the SC
Yea that is what I find crazy that in my situation all the bolts came straight up with no problem I wonder if anyone else has this also.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:01 AM   #42
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Quote:

What the OP has revealed with his LT4 is common. Oil saturation due to blow by through the PCV system is normal. The LT4 is actually the most offensive in this regard of all LT engines. I believe some of the issue is due to the placement of the PCV valve which resides in the throat area of the supercharger on the bottom side. When the engine goes from seeing vacuum to positive manifold pressure, the check valve in the PCV gets pushed open and then oil passes through. I guess GM thought that it wasn't enough of a issue to address. However as you turn the boost up and make more power, the more oil will push through. This is why you see many setups running catch cans. It likely won't stop every drop of oil, but it will reduce it substantially.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote