Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #57
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
The OP isn't tracking his car. This isn't about you.
You are absolutely correct!
His question was is the 1LE worth the extra money, I answered yes (check my original post).
I also agreed if not tracking it may not be worth it.
I also stated (as others on here) why I chose and why it was the right choice for me.
I further stated, only the OP can decide what is best, all of the opinions in here are just that, and the OP actual experience may vary. Including if there is much difference, some say not really, I disagree, I think there is a big difference. OPINION, see how that works?

So, you just generally like to disagree with other's opinions because, well you disagree? Generalizing statements as to who buys a car and why is insulting, nobody has to choose what you like. I get to make my own choices. So does the OP. Or why I spent money the way I did.

What does OP question have to do with "wanting pretty seats"????

Is SS a great value? Absolutely! Great performer? Absolutely! Is the 1LE worth the extra money? Absolutely!

I'll go away now, you seem to like projecting. How is stating why all of us with 1LE made a bad choice helping or answering the OP? Who is that about? You telling us we chose badly.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #58
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
You are absolutely correct!
His question was is the 1LE worth the extra money, I answered yes (check my original post).
I also agreed if not tracking it may not be worth it.
I also stated (as others on here) why I chose and why it was the right choice for me.
I further stated, only the OP can decide what is best, all of the opinions in here are just that, and the OP actual experience may vary. Including if there is much difference, some say not really, I disagree, I think there is a big difference. OPINION, see how that works?

So, you just generally like to disagree with other's opinions because, well you disagree? Generalizing statements as to who buys a car and why is insulting, nobody has to choose what you like. I get to make my own choices. So does the OP. Or why I spent money the way I did.

What does OP question have to do with "wanting pretty seats"????

Is SS a great value? Absolutely! Great performer? Absolutely! Is the 1LE worth the extra money? Absolutely!

I'll go away now, you seem to like projecting. How is stating why all of us with 1LE made a bad choice helping or answering the OP? Who is that about? You telling us we chose badly.
Yes I think the 1LE is a waste of $ if you don’t track your car. I and others share that opinion. You track yours so to you it’s worth it. I don’t know why you feel the need to constantly defend your opinion.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #59
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Relax guys! This is valuable feedback, especially from folks who have owned both.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #60
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Lot's of discussion from several folks regarding tires. For what it's worth, the SS runflats are summer tires also. They suck just as bad in the cold and/or rain as the Supercar3's on the 1LE
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #61
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I'm looking to get rid of my Mustang here soon and pick up a Camaro but I'm having trouble deciding which trim to get. The car will most likely never see a track or drag strip, but there are a couple very tight and twisty backroads that I like to carve on the weekends. And of course the occasional highway roll.

In my area I'm seeing used 1LE's going in the high $39k range (which I find ridiculous but I digress), while I've found a couple 1SS trims around $32k. 2SS is somewhere in the middle but I don't really need the creature comforts and I'd like to keep the weight down.

So my question is, is the handling on the 1LE that much different compared to the 1SS that it justifies an extra $6k - $7k in the used market? If I bought a 1SS, got wider wheels, and did springs, bushings, and sway bar with the money I saved will the handling be better/comparable? Or should I just suck it up and get the 1LE?
For what you described you don’t need a 1LE. I don’t even think you will need to upgrade any suspension components to occasionally go fast around a curve with either of the SS or LT1 cars.
Is the 1LE worth the extra money? Absolutely if you plan on actually tracking the car, it’s not just handling but the braking that withstands the constant conditions of being on multi turn track.
The 2SS is capable of going to a road course, it just doesn’t have the same potential to go fast and brake and stay there.
And me not being a track junkie, I don’t either.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #62
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I'm looking to get rid of my Mustang here soon and pick up a Camaro but I'm having trouble deciding which trim to get. The car will most likely never see a track or drag strip, but there are a couple very tight and twisty backroads that I like to carve on the weekends. And of course the occasional highway roll.

In my area I'm seeing used 1LE's going in the high $39k range (which I find ridiculous but I digress), while I've found a couple 1SS trims around $32k. 2SS is somewhere in the middle but I don't really need the creature comforts and I'd like to keep the weight down.

So my question is, is the handling on the 1LE that much different compared to the 1SS that it justifies an extra $6k - $7k in the used market? If I bought a 1SS, got wider wheels, and did springs, bushings, and sway bar with the money I saved will the handling be better/comparable? Or should I just suck it up and get the 1LE?
I got the 1LE because I REALLY REALY liked how the car looked. That is not the greatest reason , obviously and I definitely would not recommend buying like that. Also keep in mind that the suspension is a bit stiffer, and with my bad back, would not have worked as DD. If I tracked it, I’d be able to give you more feedback...
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #63
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
I own a 1LE 1SS and owned a 2017 Camaro SS. I actually liked daily driving my 2017 better than this 1LE. I liked the suspension tuning better and it felt better to me on country back roads that weren't perfect. Granted tracking the car would reveal dramatic differences due to the 6 piston Brembos, Elsd, bigger tires, and the springs/shocks/swaybars. It's hard to have the best of both worlds though. The Recaros do blow away the stock SS seats though.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:02 PM   #64
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Does the OP know how the 1SS is equipped? I was just on the chevy site to build a 1SS, and didn't realize you could get the 1le suspension separately, or other 1le things like the the brakes and seats too. To make it apples to apples, i think you need to know how the 1ss is equipped.

And $39k for a used ss 1le? That's just doesn't seem like a good value. Just a few more grand and you have a new one.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #65
Disarmer

Drives: 2019 1SS 1LE
I purchased my 2019 1LE almost entirely because I love how it looks and the fact that it's a "special" car. I've never once seen another 6th gen 1LE in person. Gets stares all the time - it's one of the meanest looking stock cars I've ever seen. The recaros are also much more comfortable than the stock SS seats for me. The performance goodies are just a cherry on top.
Disarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:20 PM   #66
SloCal

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
the answer is yes. i've had both and had the same question as you before i made the switch.

It is indeed night and day. The 1LE just feels lighter than a base ss despite being heavier (1ss is 36xx 2ss 1le is 3750ish).

1LE is so fluid and agile it's almost absurd. You could spend money getting an ss to have better turn in etc but the e-diff and PTM just work like magic and you'll end up spending way more than the price difference between the models. In practice it ends up being significantly faster than GT350s and the like on track in my experience as those guys never seem to be able to get the confidence to run the same times as me and other 1les i see at events. The ceiling on the car is quite high but the baseline performance for amateurs is also truly exceptional with PTM in dry/sport 1.

I traded in a 475wheel 1ss for a 1le and don't miss the power difference because it is just so much lighter on its feet and such an excellent daily/track car. There's almost no tradeoffs for me as it's only slightly stiffer and even then nowhere close to other cars with equivalent track performance. Whatever tradeoffs there are would be a no brainer to me (ie. higher consumable costs in tires/rotors/pads) but I do track and have access to canyon roads frequently.

Also the track warranty on the 1le is priceless for me.

It took me from thinking the 6th gen ss is a great car to a holy shit this is game changing/how do they offer this car for this price. Only other car i would consider at this point is a ZLE but then you start to have the daily driver tradeoffs with comfort and consumables.

In short, it was definitely worth paying the CA used car sales tax to upgrade to another SS. Also, everyone needs to buy more of them to convince chevy to make more bargain supercar killers like this.

2nd 6th gen
SPL Toe Arms/Brembo HTC64t/Corsa NPP/Tremec MTF Fluid

Last edited by SloCal; 01-04-2021 at 05:31 PM.
SloCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #67
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
Relax guys! This is valuable feedback, especially from folks who have owned both.
Exactly and have already given my opinion. It’s more then worth it getting the 1LE package.

Put it this way the SS felt like a car on rails and the 1LE feels like super rails. If you have not owned both then you really can’t compare, trying to upgrade an SS to an 1LE does not qualify you. If you are tracking or not tracking that’s your business. The cool guys only track...... rolling my eyes. Sarcasm!!!
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #68
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
I have the SS 6 speed. Never driven a 1LE. Mine has the Magride and dual mode exhaust. Handles damn good for street and twisty roads. I never will track my car. I would never need the 1LE because I usually will slam it coming off ramps or open straight aways on empty private roads and still never get to the capability limits of this car. So for me the 1LE would be a waste.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:42 PM   #69
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
Also the track warranty on the 1le is priceless for me.

i'm pretty sure the track warranty applies to the SS as well. Seeing several 'regular' SS's on track inspired me to get mine!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:57 PM   #70
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops View Post
i'm pretty sure the track warranty applies to the SS as well. Seeing several 'regular' SS's on track inspired me to get mine!
It does.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote