Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 05-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #1
00 Trans Ram

Drives: 2017 2SS
Mighty Mouse Catch Can - Install guide (with pics)

Mighty Mouse Catch Can Install (Mild)

First, I wanted to tell you why I chose the Mighty Mouse can. It's better quality than the imported ones (you know who they are). Also, they are made right here in the USA. But, mostly, they are made by a guy who is one of us. He owns American sports cars and races them.

But, here's how to install the can:

1) Locate the radiator fan support assembly on the back of the radiator. Specifically, this hole. This is where you will be bolting the can support.

2) Assemble the mounting bracket with one of the supplied bolts, washers and nuts as shown in the slotted hole. For now, leave the bolt a little loose – so that it will stay in place while you test fit the bracket, but can be slid up or down if you need.

3) Place the 2nd bolt through the hole in the radiator fan support as shown. You will want to put both the bolt and the washer through the front (relative to the car) of the hole, pointing towards the engine.

4) Mount the can bracket to the protruding bolt as shown. You will want to ensure that the bottom bolt is sticking into one of the triangular-shaped voids below the hole in the support. The upper bolt holds the bracket securely to the support, while the lower bolt ensures that the bracket does not rotate. You may need to slide the lower bolt up or down to get a perfect fit.

5) Tighten all bolts. The easiest way to tighten the upper bolt is to use an 11mm socket on the bolt, with an 11mm end wrench on the nut. Then, turn the end wrench while allowing the ratchet to prevent the bolt from turning.

6) Assemble the catch can as shown, with the supplied fittings. Make sure that you note that the straight fitting (just above the window plug) is for the “dirty” input coming from the crankcase, while the 90* bent fitting is for the “clean” output going to the intake manifold. When installing the fittings, be sure to use a wrench to prevent the inlet/output ports from turning while you tighten the fittings. Get the fittings snug, and make sure to NOT overtighten the ports, as they have rubber washers underneath that will tear/break.

7) Disassemble the clamp (take the nut off and open the clamp). While holding the catch can against the can bracket you just installed, put the clamp around the can. The clamp should be in the middle of the can, above the clear plug and below the inlet/output fittings. Both fittings should be facing the drivers’ side of the car. Reassemble the clamp and tighten.

(Picture of installed catch can)

8) Remove the stock PCV tube from the intake manifold and crankcase. To remove, simply press the grey button on the side of the fitting and pull.
a. OPTIONAL: You may find it easier to access this tube if you first remove the plastic covers over the intake manifold and the valve covers. To do this, unhook the tube running across the back of the manifold cover. Then, the valve cover covers simply lift off (plastic clamps). To remove the manifold cover, use a 10mm wrench to remove 4 grey bolts with tall, smooth “fingers” coming out of the top. These are what the valve cover covers clamp onto.

9) Install the rubber hoses. Remember that the hose coming from the crankcase goes to the straight fitting above the clear plug and the hose going from the 90* bent fitting goes to the intake manifold.
a. TIPS: These hoses are a VERY tight fit. You may use a very light coat of oil get them on. Or, you may use a heat gun or hair dryer (NOT and open flame!). To do this, heat the end of the hose until it is hot to the touch. Then, quickly push the hose on. It may help to twist the hose back and forth as you push. By doing this, the hoses should slip on with far less effort.
b. Be sure to push the hoses ALL THE WAY in until they are seated properly.
c. Alternatively, you can cut the stock connector pieces from your old PCV hoses and connect them to the new hoses, and reuse them to attach to the engine.

(Picture of properly installed and seated hoses on the catch can.)

(Picture of PROPERLY seated hose on the crankcase output fitting.)

(Picture of IMPROPERLY seated hose on the manifold intake fitting. This hose should be pushed down until it is fully seated.)

(Pictures of final installation)

Attached Files
File Type: zip Mighty Mouse Catch Can Install.zip (2.35 MB, 886 views)

Last edited by 00 Trans Ram; 05-05-2017 at 11:07 AM.
00 Trans Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:57 PM   #2
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
With that filter on the can you're introducing a vacuum leak at best, and unmetered air at worse.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Chevy71

Drives: 2016 2SS
I don't think this would be boost friendly with that filter on it, and it appears to be sitting in a busy area that makes it harder to drain?
Chevy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
With that filter on the can you're introducing a vacuum leak at best, and unmetered air at worse.
It's not a problem. With the "DRAFT" and "PCV" model cans the breathers are exit only.

Here is a video to support that the breather releases any time pressure inside the can is above zero.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
I don't think this would be boost friendly with that filter on it, and it appears to be sitting in a busy area that makes it harder to drain?
I don't believe that there is a correlation between boost friendliness and the filter on top. The fact that these cans are able to release pressure (vs not at all) make it much more boost friendly than any other, and if you are doing a lot of boost, then you should be looking at the pcv can not the draft.

But, if you are still concerned about it, there is a recirculating top (see above post video) as not everyone wants the open filter. The recirc top pressure releases in the same way as the filter top. Only when it opens to eliminate crank pressure the flow goes out and down the hose vs. out the filter.

As far as hard to drain, here is a video (not me) on the draining of a 6th Gen and it does not appear difficult.

But, for those who do not wish to drain at the bottom of the can, for $15 you can get a drain extension kit to operate the drain from anywhere you mount to the bottom of the car etc. Basically, it's a hose that fits to the bottom of the can.

I guess, ultimately, the kind of person (and I don't mean you!!) who doesn't want to reach in their engine up to the elbows, probably isn't going to want to do the work to install a can in the first place. Again, not meant as an affront to anyone. Just that, if you are slightly mechanically inclined and comfortable with the install of this or any other "easy" mod, then draining it shouldn't put you off.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Chevy71

Great data to support my question. I want a catch can, just see so many that are essentially useless, or cause more harm than good. What power/boost can this one support?
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy71 View Post
Great data to support my question. I want a catch can, just see so many that are essentially useless, or cause more harm than good. What power/boost can this one support?
You would likely want the "Wild" version of this setup. Or, something unique. I know that Dave will work with you (as he did with me, although I didn't want anything special).
Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
David (Mighty Mouse) 'might' know a thing or two about boosted application
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #9
Chevy71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
You would likely want the "Wild" version of this setup. Or, something unique. I know that Dave will work with you (as he did with me, although I didn't want anything special).
Thanks man, I'll get a hold of him for sure then. The guy who tuned my car recommended Mighty Mouse cans to me also.
SW long tube headers
3" stainless mid pipe - Secondary Cat delete - High flow cats
Port and polished heads-Double valve springs-platinum lifters & push rods
Cam phaser limiter - DOD delete
P1SC-1 Pro Charger 3.7 pulley
Stage II intercooler
667rwhp 577ft lbs
Old 05-04-2017, 08:21 PM   #10
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram View Post
It's not a problem. With the "DRAFT" and "PCV" model cans the breathers are exit only.

Here is a video to support that the breather releases any time pressure inside the can is above zero.
Thx, did not know
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
00 Trans Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
Thx, did not know
Any time!!
Old 05-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #12
00 Trans Ram

Attached a .zip file to the original post and here, so you can print it if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mighty Mouse Catch Can Install.zip (2.35 MB, 345 views)
Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #13
JFM-jr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
My tuner uses these catch cans on his builds as well.
ARH 1 7/8 longtubes hi flow cats AFM deleted E85
11.0@124.9
11.65@118.8 pump gas,stock tune/exhaust
New combo: Pray Performance Heads/cam
MSD intake manifold and Circle D 3C
554/491 on E85 all work & tuning done by Pray
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #14
SS_1LE

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Anyone have the mild catch can without filter? I got the one without the filter for road coarse. I’m a bit confused on which vacuum lines I need to tie into. Anyone have better pics?
SS_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote