Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #29
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I am on the fence switching over or buying a set of tires-wheels for the cold weather.
I see you have a 2020 join date so I'll assume you are on the stock run-flats.
From what I have read here these tires are the grip kings in hot weather (but no rain) and when you have them heated up at the track. Otherwise, they can be beat by many A/S competitors. And once you have over 10k miles, the grip really deteriorates. That mirrors my experience, though I do not track the car. I road them to almost slicks out of pure cheapness, but I won't miss them. For the past 3 years I was always happier when November came and I switched to my winter set.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #30
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I see you have a 2020 join date so I'll assume you are on the stock run-flats.
From what I have read here these tires are the grip kings in hot weather (but no rain) and when you have them heated up at the track. Otherwise, they can be beat by many A/S competitors. And once you have over 10k miles, the grip really deteriorates. That mirrors my experience, though I do not track the car. I road them to almost slicks out of pure cheapness, but I won't miss them. For the past 3 years I was always happier when November came and I switched to my winter set.
Thank you. Starting a new thread to keep this one on track.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #31
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
having used an A/S on this car in the snow, I'd recommend that some one move up to a winter performance tire with more snow capability if that's what you think you'll encounter and need. Cold weather is great on an A/S but more than 1" of snow makes things dicey on an A/S. IMHO.

A performance winter tire fits between an A/S and a studless winter.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #32
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
having used an A/S on this car in the snow, I'd recommend that some one move up to a winter performance tire with more snow capability if that's what you think you'll encounter and need. Cold weather is great on an A/S but more than 1" of snow makes things dicey on an A/S. IMHO.

A performance winter tire fits between an A/S and a studless winter.
I would agree with this. An all-season, especially a performance all-season, won't be immediately deadly at the sight of snow like a summer, but isn't designed to be driven in much snow. Here in NC, there isn't much need for more since it doesn't snow much, and when it does everything shuts down anyway.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #33
Andrew S

Drives: Camaro 2SS Redline Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeR View Post
I've had cont. dws06 and the as3+ And prefer the as3+ by far. The dws06 may do better in snow, but since you don't need that, as3+ for the win!
Ok but would you still choose the as3+ if you needed to drive in the snow 3 or so times per year?
Andrew S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #34
my3sons_nh

Drives: 2018 2SS A8 Convertible Garnet Red
These are my next set in the spring (I'm in north/central MA) to replace the OEM runflats. Mine is also hibernating in the barn. Did you pickup a flat repair kit for the trunk? If so, which one?
my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #35
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons_nh View Post
These are my next set in the spring (I'm in north/central MA) to replace the OEM runflats. Mine is also hibernating in the barn. Did you pickup a flat repair kit for the trunk? If so, which one?
I did not. Instead, I bit the bullet and ordered one of the modernspare.com kits, which has yet to arrive. I figure that I will never be going back to runflats, so I might as well have a robust solution on hand.

That reminds me, I need to get out to the garage and put the charger on mine, although with a couple of days of rain coming and then a dry day, enough of the salt might wash away that I take it out for a spin on Tuesday. Will have to see.
Old 12-12-2020, 12:07 PM   #36
my3sons_nh

I have a convertible but I read the modern spare will "fit", however a very tight fit with the top down so I may go the compressor kit... I still have snow on the ground up here so she'll stay asleep... In SE MA you have a better chance of snow-free days than I do by the NH line! ;-)
Old 12-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #37
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
I have a convertible but I read the modern spare will "fit", however a very tight fit with the top down so I may go the compressor kit... I still have snow on the ground up here so she'll stay asleep... In SE MA you have a better chance of snow-free days than I do by the NH line! ;-)
Yeah, you guys in N central MA get hammered, sorry to say. I won't bring mine back out until the salt has been all washed from the road. Horribly corrosive and gets everywhere.

If you're waiting anyway, then once the warm weather and clean roads come back, you are welcome to try to test fit my Modern Spare kit in your trunk to see how it really fits. Meet you half way or something. Shoot me a PM in the spring.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #38
my3sons_nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Yeah, you guys in N central MA get hammered, sorry to say. I won't bring mine back out until the salt has been all washed from the road. Horribly corrosive and gets everywhere.

If you're waiting anyway, then once the warm weather and clean roads come back, you are welcome to try to test fit my Modern Spare kit in your trunk to see how it really fits. Meet you half way or something. Shoot me a PM in the spring.
Thanks for the test fit offer... I would feel safer with a spare over a compressor/fix-a-flat setup. Yea, I figure it will be late April or early May before the roads aroud here are salt free... :-( Catch yo next year!
Old 12-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #39
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Thanks for the test fit offer... I would feel safer with a spare over a compressor/fix-a-flat setup. Yea, I figure it will be late April or early May before the roads aroud here are salt free... :-( Catch yo next year!
The offer stands. Yeah, I thought well what if I manage to put a big gash in a sidewall or something where plugs or fix-a-flat aren't going to cut it.

You could probably buy a used wheel and cheap tire and jack and tire iron for a little less if you worked at it, but I was lazy and went with the kit.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:30 AM   #40
my3sons_nh

There's always AAA road side assistance for a sidewall issue as a last resort (meaning likely a long wait time)... I'd prefer to go the kit like you did for the same reasons! ;-) I'm thinking of a LONG road trip west this summer and need to plan for contingencies.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:50 AM   #41
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
There's always AAA road side assistance for a sidewall issue as a last resort (meaning likely a long wait time)... I'd prefer to go the kit like you did for the same reasons! ;-) I'm thinking of a LONG road trip west this summer and need to plan for contingencies.
You're right. I even have AAA, but I think of them as a last resort kind of thing. If you're heading out west, you could find yourself many hours away from AAA arriving on scene - the west is so vast.
Old 12-22-2020, 06:17 AM   #42
Phil 2018SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
To those of you who have put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 + tires on an SS, are you happy with them? How have they been for you? I am strongly considering these for my 2016 SS. There is too much time here in New England where the temp is below 40F that could still be good driving for me to stick with summer tires.
I run them on a 2018 SS. I'm in Michigan so instead of getting 7 months use on summer tires I can get 9 months of use. I went a little wider though, I run 283/35/19 in the front and 325/30/19 in the rear on ZL1 1LE wheels. The hook better then the 275 summer tires when warm IMO. I have a spare tire as well. Not sure why, the rear tire won't fit through the trunk opening. The A/S 3 + are zero pressure so unless I get a total blow out I should be good to go. Not sure about rain or snow.
Phil 2018SS is offline   Reply With Quote