Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 02-02-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Drives: 2017 SS
TPMS Sensors for drag pack

I recently went from a 20” 555R drag radial on 1LE reps to a 17” 555R2 drag radial on Racestars.
I liked having launch control because it really helped making runs on non prepped roads more consistent.
My 17”s don’t have tpms sensors can anyone recommend some inexpensive TPMS sensors that’ll work on a Racestar. Also I’m assuming that’s why launch control isn’t available anymore right? Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Murder6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:16 AM   #2
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Schrader 28211 from RockAuto. $23/ea and include the nut for mounting.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:22 AM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
It's very likely that the TPMS sensors are causing this since the fronts are there but the rears aren't. Adding TPMS to the rear will probably work but you might also run into the same issue depending on how low you set tire pressures. Another few alternatives are either to unlearn the front sensors so the car isn't registering any sensors, or follow the instructions here to bypass the chassis control systems check for TPMS https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ms-how-to.html
Old 02-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #4
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
Schrader 28211 from RockAuto. $23/ea and include the nut for mounting.
Thanks man I just ordered them!
Old 02-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #5
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
It's very likely that the TPMS sensors are causing this since the fronts are there but the rears aren't. Adding TPMS to the rear will probably work but you might also run into the same issue depending on how low you set tire pressures. Another few alternatives are either to unlearn the front sensors so the car isn't registering any sensors, or follow the instructions here to bypass the chassis control systems check for TPMS https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ms-how-to.html
Thanks bro, I used to run 20” drags in the rear aired down to about 23psi for daily driving and launch control would work just fine.
I just ordered the sensors mentioned on top I hope they work
Old 02-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Id be interested to hear if the TPMS caused the launch control to be inop, my answer would have been that lack of TPMS I haven't seen that affect any other system on the car other than the dash light would illuminate. I've run winters w/o TPMS and it did nothing to the car.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #7
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder6.2 View Post
Thanks bro, I used to run 20” drags in the rear aired down to about 23psi for daily driving and launch control would work just fine.
I just ordered the sensors mentioned on top I hope they work
Gotcha, yeah 23 should be just fine. You've got to be pretty low for it to make all the systems turn back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Id be interested to hear if the TPMS caused the launch control to be inop, my answer would have been that lack of TPMS I haven't seen that affect any other system on the car other than the dash light would illuminate. I've run winters w/o TPMS and it did nothing to the car.
Correct. On these cars, it'll act normal if you have all of them there with "correct" pressure or none of them being connected. However, if you are missing 1, 2, or 3 sensors it will keep TC and ESC in their default states which I assume means no launch control, either.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:16 PM   #8
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder6.2 View Post
Thanks man I just ordered them!
They work great. Schrader is the OEM for the real GM sensors, I've been using them on all my race wheels without any problems. I had issues when I tried to use the Chinese knockoffs from Amazon, definitely not worth the trouble when the real Schrader sensors are reasonably priced.

You'll want to pick up a EL-50448 TPMS relearn tool if you don't already have one. I use this one, it's only $10 at Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVR85N7/

Edit: As others have noted, the system needs to see all 4 sensors or needs to see 0 sensors. Anything in between is a fault and it will not permit you to disable TC or use PTM modes. (unless you do the 6-key-press noted in the Corvetteforum posting...)
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #9
Murder6.2
LIL SLOW SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
They work great. Schrader is the OEM for the real GM sensors, I've been using them on all my race wheels without any problems. I had issues when I tried to use the Chinese knockoffs from Amazon, definitely not worth the trouble when the real Schrader sensors are reasonably priced.

You'll want to pick up a EL-50448 TPMS relearn tool if you don't already have one. I use this one, it's only $10 at Amazon- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XVR85N7/

Edit: As others have noted, the system needs to see all 4 sensors or needs to see 0 sensors. Anything in between is a fault and it will not permit you to disable TC or use PTM modes. (unless you do the 6-key-press noted in the Corvetteforum posting...)
Once again thanks man 🙏🏼, my local tire shop charges me $20 Everytime. I’ll definitely order it as well.
I always drive with traction control off it doesn’t appear that not having sensors in the rear is creating any issues with turning traction off it still says I turn it off.
I do struggle more to get traction now however.