Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Is there anyone that put nitrous in your V8 regretted it?

I've read horror stories about nitrous systems but they seem to have advanced enough in technology that they are pretty bullet proof if installed right.

I visited a local speed shop and talked to a guy about butting nitrous my car. He suggested a system that will shoot nitrous at WOT but also added I should add a separate fuel system with aviation high octane fuel so when the nitrous shoots so will the higher octane fuel. The problems with nitrous appear to be if the engine runs lean it's a ticket to disaster.

What is the good and bad of nitrous systems?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
The same thing are negative about nitrous that are negative for any other power added.

I wonder if these speed shops think it would work to have a turbo or super charger system with a fuel cell that provides high octane fuel when the engine is under boost?

The problem with nitrous is , for some reason, there are many that think the requirements are different for it than for other types of power adders.

Run high octane fuel, in both fuel cells , when you will be using nitrous and tune accordingly . You’ll never have a problem
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:49 AM   #3
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
If you do it right with all the right supporting components, you will not regret it. Just need a tune and proper fuel system upgrades, not necessarily a seperate fuel system.

BUT know what you are getting into first. It has become more difficult and expensive to fill bottles than it use to be years ago. So find your local filling station and see how much they charge. Are they close? Is it cheap? A 10lb bottle will give you about 40seconds of fun with like a 175shot. So (8) 5second little blasts or (4) 10second blasts and then it's dropping off sharply. That is by far the worst part about it. It's only a little bit of fast and then gone.

If you can drop the money on forced induction, you get an unlimited number a seconds of that power. Never runs out, never have to take bottles to get filled.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:48 AM   #4
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
If you do it right with all the right supporting components, you will not regret it. Just need a tune and proper fuel system upgrades, not necessarily a seperate fuel system.

BUT know what you are getting into first. It has become more difficult and expensive to fill bottles than it use to be years ago. So find your local filling station and see how much they charge. Are they close? Is it cheap? A 10lb bottle will give you about 40seconds of fun with like a 175shot. So (8) 5second little blasts or (4) 10second blasts and then it's dropping off sharply. That is by far the worst part about it. It's only a little bit of fast and then gone.

If you can drop the money on forced induction, you get an unlimited number a seconds of that power. Never runs out, never have to take bottles to get filled.
Specifically this!

I just put nitrous on my vette and I didn't know how much a PITA it was going to be to fill bottles. I found a place 30 mins away and then you wait 30 mins for the fill. It was $6/lb to fill the bottle.

The first place I went to said they were getting out of filling bottles because it wasn't as lucrative as they thought it would be. I ended up buying their refill station and I can buy a mother bottle for $179 as soon as I find a core for exchange. By my math, it will then cost me around $2/lb to fill my own bottles. It will take a while to recoup the cost of the filling station but I can at least fill my own and maybe some others if I make any nitrous friends.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #5
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
This is what could happen with nitrous and a separate fuel cell if one forgets to turn on the fuel cell. So, lesson is to have fail-safes to ensure proper fueling and timing with nitrous.
Attached Images

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #6
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Yes, I regret spraying every car I've ever sprayed.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #7
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
Another little tid bit new guys should be aware of. You need to bring them your bottle ice cold for it to get a complete fill. The n2o heats up/ expands while filling your bottle and if your bottle is super cold, it will cool it enough to get a complete fill. If your bottle was in the trunk of your car at 100f you're gonna leave with 9lb of n2o in a 10lb bottle. Or you can leave the bottle overnight and they can fill, then wait for it to cool down and top it off the last lb.

You kinda see why n2o has given way to forced induction. It's just worth the investment.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:39 AM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I've been running nitrous in my Camaro for about 2 years now. No problems whatsoever.

You can run a shot up to 125hp without any need for a bigger fuel pump, or injectors.

The pro's for me are that I'm only putting additional strain on my engine 1/8th of a mile at a time on the dragstrip.
The cost vs. turbo or supercharger. The entire setup I have, nitrous kit, bottle warmer, purge kit, pressure gauge, and cooler plugs cost me less than $900.
After purchase, installation, and tune, a turbo or supercharger was going to run $8k to 11K.

The cons are you have to get the bottle refilled, but that isn't a big deal, it only takes a few minutes. I bought a big cooler for about $25 and ice the bottle down on the way to get it filled. In cold weather you can just leave the bottle in the trunk the night before you plan to re-fill it. Costs are usually about $6 per pound.

The main con with it is after the bottle gets down under 1/2 full, the car will run about a tenth slower. I can get 5 passes before this happens.

The Zex kit I have has a feature where if the gas ever gets lean, it immediately cuts the nitrous off. This only happened to me once, when I only had 1/8th of a tank of gas in, and no damage occurred to the car. I now run minimum 1/2 tank and this hasn't occurred again.

125 shot equates to 6 tenths reduction in the 1/8th for me.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
In Ontario having your nitrous bottle hooked up while driving on the street is illegal.

Of course they have to catch you

Superchargers and Turbos are perfectly legal and you have power all the time.

I sprayed my H/C 94 TA and blew it up good by leaning it out.

Just don't get greedy for power and never let it get lean.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I've read horror stories about nitrous systems but they seem to have advanced enough in technology that they are pretty bullet proof if installed right.

I visited a local speed shop and talked to a guy about butting nitrous my car. He suggested a system that will shoot nitrous at WOT but also added I should add a separate fuel system with aviation high octane fuel so when the nitrous shoots so will the higher octane fuel. The problems with nitrous appear to be if the engine runs lean it's a ticket to disaster.

The good: great power adder. The bad: bottle empties quickly.
Any power adder not setup correctly or does not function correctly can be disastrous.
If they stated aviation fuel, find another shop.
Spray at WOT and between certain RPMs. A controller will be needed, window switch. The stock fuel system can supply fuel from the fuel rail for smaller shots. Timing will need to be pulled, either in a tune or externally with an LNC2000, and colder spark plugs. Can add a fuel pressure safety switch. Bottle pressure also needs monitored. Just listing a few things.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
Bildo

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
Nitrous is limited as in you run out too soon. It was never very consistent for me either, I sold the whole motor and nitrous setup and went FI instead. Reliable, dependable, and no bottle refills.
2012 2SS M6, ERL Superdeck 6 427, PRC 255 Heads, Procharger F1A w/ 3.85 pulley, 1300hp intercooler, Squash Dual 450lph, E85, ID1700, RXT Clutch, DSS 1pc driveshaft, GForce axles, Eaton Detroit Trutrac, a bunch of other crap I don't feel like typing.
Bildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post

Here is my take, and Keep in mind I have run NOS on many cars with complete success over the past 34 years.

NOS is, in fact the highest risk power adder available.

Requires intimate knowledge of the system operation and maintenance.

It is the highest maintenance power adder.

It only takes 1 mistake to destroy your engine in a nanosecond.

Watch any professional drag racing or even the street outlaws and you start to see a trend of guys moving away from NOS due to constant engine failures caused by NOS system failures.

If you can get past all of the above then NOS is for you.

NOS is not for everyone but a select few that want to learn everything there is to know about it, and how to apply it safely if there is such a thing.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #13
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
I ran nitrous on my 5th gen for 8 years, then last year bought a Whipple through Ted Jannetty, and this year have put the nitrous back on along with the Whipple.

Everyone in here is giving you great advice, and the reality is that Nitrous is fun, but an ongoing investment. Bottle refills quickly add up, as do the costs involved with running around town to get the bottles filled. Doing a professional install with all of the safety equipment can easily run $2-2.5k, so you're already approaching the cost of some of the lower priced boost options. Again, research is your friend here, so learn all you can before you make a decision.