Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #15
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz View Post
Boys, gotta be honest, I just want the sound, requested below. I am a car person but clueless re: exhaust....deletes, and what to delete.....cat back vs axle back...Lost boy here.

I am in the look stage and so confused with so many options.
Personally, I had the Shelby gt350 and the OPEN exhaust was the tops!!!! I would love th get something like that. I am thinking Cat delete, or muffler delete or resonator delete.....something simple and easy that keeps the NPP working while still getting the deep throated sound. I want it noticeable and growling but not totally obnoxious
Go with the Borla ATAK axle back...that's what I did. I was also mainly just concerned about the sound as well. You may also want to try pulling the fuse for the NPP on the stock system if you haven't do so already. It won't be as loud as a GT350, but it does sound MUCH better.

My son and I were driving last night and saw another ZL1 driving with the exhaust in stealth mode. He thought it was a fake ZL1 and said it was quieter than the Tesla model S we were in I feel I am doing my job as a father since he was so offended by how quiet the car was.
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #16
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Boys, gotta be honest, I just want the sound, requested below. I am a car person but clueless re: exhaust....deletes, and what to delete.....cat back vs axle back...Lost boy here.

I am in the look stage and so confused with so many options.
Personally, I had the Shelby gt350 and the OPEN exhaust was the tops!!!! I would love th get something like that. I am thinking Cat delete, or muffler delete or resonator delete.....something simple and easy that keeps the NPP working while still getting the deep throated sound. I want it noticeable and growling but not totally obnoxious
The ZL1 has a one piece cat-back exhaust. That means anything other than a full cat-back requires cutting of the factory exhaust which you may not care about. The factory cat-back has a set of resonators/"secondary cats" attached to it that are removed when using an aftermarket X-Pipe such as a Borla 60606 X Pipe.

If you get a standalone Axle back, you will cut the factory exhaust somewhere in front of the stock muffler suitcase and clamp there. If you want to keep the valve function, you will have to go with Borla or GT Haus. (IMO the valves are useless and quality exhaust like Corsa or AWE are engineered so well that your foot controls the sound).

Screw all of the "deletes" IMO. That's just chopping up a good exhaust that you could either use to set back to stock or sell to recoup cash spent on a new exhaust. Go with a full Cat-back. What this means is bolts to the back of the primary cats = factory cat-back is removed in one piece and there's no cutting involved. I'll attach a picture to illustrate why, hopefully you find it helpful.

For cat-backs and axle backs, I would recommend AWE, Corsa, and Borla. Look at the options and decide from there.

Here's the picture I threw together a while back. Everything behind the front Clamp and Flange is one solid piece.
Attached Images

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:25 PM   #17
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Drives: black zl11le
BD 76, you are definitely helping your son understand the point of all this............these are not just cars.......they are representations! They are you, me and the guys and gals that drive them. Look at it this way..........you probably wouldn't own this car or a gt350 or Hellcat, etc, if you didn't have some version of ego(IMHO). Not a bad thing, but a TRUE thing! Having said that.....ego doesn't equate into squeamish, worried, shy , wallflower, 2nd tier, also ran nor mild!! When I drive my car, and I will take all the critiques some may supply, I AM THE CAR!! I feel the road, I see the surroundings I am the cornering, speed, slightly out of control, and every shift is in my bones! If If my car changes lanes and traffic is evident...I am the safety move and respectful lane changing. I am not the 'Richard' who just cuts others off, challenges the rights of others, or is an accident looking for a place to happen..........."sorry, got off track"......yes it needs to sound like a muscle car not a woose wagen!!
fredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #18
fredz
Just another car Jones!

I gotta get of coffee.............
Old 01-23-2019, 04:34 PM   #19
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Can't H 2 much,
Excellent explanation. I have been looking for that so I appreciate the info, advice and demo. I now have an idea what to do. Borla s=type is on my mind for the moment.
fred
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #20
Beadmkrzl11le
The Polishing School

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Congrats on the ride. I'm doing similar mods. Cat back Exhaust Roto Fab CAI and Mamo TB.
thepsdetails@gmail.com
Beadmkrzl11le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #21
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
I gotta get of coffee.............
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 PM   #22
Fredtp

Drives: 2019 ZL1 A10 Black Mosaic
Corsa Extreme axle back, part#14784, with Corsa X pipe, Part#14788, which deletes secondary cats and it is 3" diameter not 2 3/4".
Or you can get both parts as a package part#14772.

Last edited by Fredtp; 01-23-2019 at 06:53 PM. Reason: .
Fredtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #23
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
BD 76, you are definitely helping your son understand the point of all this............these are not just cars.......they are representations! They are you, me and the guys and gals that drive them. Look at it this way..........you probably wouldn't own this car or a gt350 or Hellcat, etc, if you didn't have some version of ego(IMHO). Not a bad thing, but a TRUE thing! Having said that.....ego doesn't equate into squeamish, worried, shy , wallflower, 2nd tier, also ran nor mild!! When I drive my car, and I will take all the critiques some may supply, I AM THE CAR!! I feel the road, I see the surroundings I am the cornering, speed, slightly out of control, and every shift is in my bones! If If my car changes lanes and traffic is evident...I am the safety move and respectful lane changing. I am not the 'Richard' who just cuts others off, challenges the rights of others, or is an accident looking for a place to happen..........."sorry, got off track"......yes it needs to sound like a muscle car not a woose wagen!!
You consciously awake? You good?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #24
fosterelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDivine76 View Post
I feel I am doing my job as a father since he was so offended by how quiet the car was.
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #25
fosterelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Here's the picture I threw together a while back. Everything behind the front Clamp and Flange is one solid piece.
What are you using to flip that car? Doesn't look like any rotisserie I've ever seen...looks more like a couple of motorcycle stands connected to your hubs!
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #26
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
What are you using to flip that car? Doesn't look like any rotisserie I've ever seen...looks more like a couple of motorcycle stands connected to your hubs!
IIRC the photo originally showed up at HotRod mag's website ... and has been used by forum members to point out useful things on the coupe's dirty side.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/fift...e-2016-camaro/
Gunkk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #27
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterelli View Post
Uh, I just found the picture by googling. I don't know anything past that. I added the text/"pointers" for ease of explanation.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:02 PM   #28
TeleZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
You consciously awake? You good?
Whoa!!!Oh goodness.....lmfao

Thinking the same thing.

Seriously though, very passionate.
TeleZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote