Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 10-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
wildmark

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet SS
Carbon Fiber Hood Insert

Made the mistake of assuming the hood insert was exposed CF, all the one's I have seen were that way, so made the assumption and missed it when speccing the car.

Can you just buy the insert, is so does anyone know the part number and what's involved in replacing it?

Thank you in advance!
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
wildmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
See if you can still get it added to the order. The insert is around 1600 vs 500
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Victoryred1le
Bupp Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmark View Post
Made the mistake of assuming the hood insert was exposed CF, all the one's I have seen were that way, so made the assumption and missed it when speccing the car.

Can you just buy the insert, is so does anyone know the part number and what's involved in replacing it?

Thank you in advance!
yes you can just purchase it but its expensive. the part number is 84243751. this will also require two new emblems which is part number 84046847. try to adjust your spec sheet with the dealer first.
Victoryred1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:

Thank you in advance!
Yes, you can buy just the exposed CF insert. Part# is 84243751

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/zl1-e...51?parent=1027

I'm pretty sure it just bolts off and on. Might be some double-sided tape in there too.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
wildmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
See if you can still get it added to the order. The insert is around 1600 vs 500
I pick up the car next week!
Old 10-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
wildmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Yes, you can buy just the exposed CF insert. Part# is 84243751

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/zl1-e...51?parent=1027

I'm pretty sure it just bolts off and on. Might be some double-sided tape in there too.
Cheers!
Old 10-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #7
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
I pick up the car next week!
Talk with the dealer, this is something the salesman should have gone over with you when you spec'd it. You may be able to reach an agreement....
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwav8r View Post
Talk with the dealer, this is something the salesman should have gone over with you when you spec'd it. You may be able to reach an agreement....
If they didn’t address it, they should take the hit and order you the exposed piece. I also know of another member who sanded their painted carbon fibre heat extractor down to the CF and then clear coated it without UV resistant clear.
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #9
hashtag

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10/2018 GT350R #JR603
Quote:
The customer ordered the car Hintz custom order. Naturally blame the salesman.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:39 AM   #10
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
I bought my car already built and thought it had the carbon fiber hood insert as well. At the end of the day, the black looks great with my black stripe and I’m satisfied. So maybe add the black stripe and roll with it. You can’t blame the sales guy, unless you where told it was standard. I personally like the black stripe a lot and think it flows reallly well with the black hood insert.
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #11
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashtag View Post
The customer ordered the car Hintz custom order. Naturally blame the salesman.
So, do you randomly walk into stores and buy high dollar items from salesman who don't know a basic detail on the product he's selling?? If so, I've got a few things I'd like to sell you....

As the options for a ZL1 are fairly limited, yes, the salesman owns some responsibility, especially when it's a $65K+ car.

It's his JOB to know what the options are and what they entail. After all, he is a "Salesman" not a "Broker".

Caveat emptor is not a good policy when you're in the business of selling cars, that's how you find yourself without a job.

*hence*
Old 10-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #12
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
So, do you randomly walk into stores and buy high dollar items from salesman who don't know a basic detail on the product he's selling?? If so, I've got a few things I'd like to sell you....
The onus is on the consumer these days, as all the information is readily available. We have online configurators and crowdsourced information at our fingertips.

There's really not much excuse for not knowing more about the product than the people selling them, whose only job has been the same since the beginning . . . get them to sign on the line which is dotted.

I certainly don't expect the salespeople to know more about the product I'm buying. My only expectation is for them and the finance people to be honest and not try to rip me off.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #13
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
The onus is on the consumer these days, as all the information is readily available. We have online configurators and crowdsourced information at our fingertips.

There's really not much excuse for not knowing more about the product than the people selling them, whose only job has been the same since the beginning . . . get them to sign on the line which is dotted.

I certainly don't expect the salespeople to know more about the product I'm buying. My only expectation is for them and the finance people to be honest and not try to rip me off.
To each his own.

For my money I'm looking for a salesman not a broker. I expect them to know what they're selling, especially when it's a $600 RPO. I'm not looking for him/her to schmooze me, I just expect them to know their product and what the options are and what they do.

Don't get me wrong, I researched the $hit out of this car before I ever spoke to a dealer but, in mid 2016 there wasn't a whole lot of information on the net about the options for these cars.

I dealt with three different salesman in buying my ride. The first one just wanted to sell me a car on his lot. The second one didn't know squat about the different options and was reticent to find out. The third took the time to find out what the different options were and went over the order prior to hitting the send button. Due to third guy's professionalism, I bought exactly what I wanted and nothing I didn't. Guess who I'll go back to in the future when I want to buy another car.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Manufactures spend a ton of time, dollars and energy making up salesman quick reference books and small books that go in your back pocket so you can look things up quickly when a customer asks you a question. i wrote one for Kawasaki a decade ago. It’s impossible for a sales guy to know every little detail like you research , because he’s got 32 to 45 different cars in the line. However virtually any salesman can be forgiven by customer if he says “I don’t know the answer to that but I’ll get you the answer very quickly here”. Most guys would rather hipshoot you and leave the guide of their desk and just BS the customer… So stupid….....and short term.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote