Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #141
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I followed his thread and it ended up being bad tires. Tire swap fixed the problem
Ted had a different problem. His car would pull hard to one side under light acceleration. After swapping tires and taking care of that issue, he mentioned feeling the little rear end wiggle (almost feels like trammeling in the rear) under WOT acceleration that many of us have felt. Others with 1LE cars have also mentioned it as well.

That said, I believe Mike’s issue was mostly alignment related. Not only did it have zero rear toe-in, but the car was also dog tracking from the thrust angle being off. Not a good combination.

My car is stable and feels good most of the time. I made 7 passes at the strip on ET Street Rs a few weeks back, and it was rock solid. But every once in a while, I still get this sensation. It’s just a quick back and forth wiggle that feels very odd. It feels much different than losing traction. That feels very natural in this car to me.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #142
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Added another one...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546755
Old 01-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #143
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post

My car is stable and feels good most of the time. I made 7 passes at the strip on ET Street Rs a few weeks back, and it was rock solid. But every once in a while, I still get this sensation. It’s just a quick back and forth wiggle that feels very odd. It feels much different than losing traction. That feels very natural in this car to me.
Probably rear cradle bushings.

I forget his username here, maybe TRZ06... he changed his SS 1LE rear cradle bushings to the solid ZLE mounts and has said these things go away, I notice that wiggle cornering over broken pavement and quick l-r steering inputs. I'm pretty sure ZL1 and SS 1LE rear ends are the same.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #144
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

I forget his username here, maybe TRZ06... he changed his SS 1LE rear cradle bushings to the solid ZLE mounts and has said these things go away, I notice that wiggle cornering over broken pavement and quick l-r steering inputs. I'm pretty sure ZL1 and SS 1LE rear ends are the same.
If I still had the ZL1 I would definitely do this. The ZLE is rock solid no pun intended.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #145
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
If I still had the ZL1 I would definitely do this. The ZLE is rock solid no pun intended.
Yeah, I'll do it eventually... but the labor looks like it'll be a pita.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #146
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Anyone else experiencing the ZL1 sort of fish tailing at high speeds. Seems any variation in the steering wheel it wants to over compensate and it's pretty scary to get back in line.

I experienced this on my 1st road trip when passing someone on a two lane road. Not WOT or anything just a normal pass at 60+ mpg. The person behind me even mentioned later that my back end got a bit squirly and I blamed it on uneven pavement which is was uneven. But that's what seems to kick it in to being unstable. Any slight change in the steering wheel. I can't even stay in one lane because trying to get back in my lane would cause over correction and just get worse.

So this trip was to the drag strip and I noticed right off on the big end of the track it was very unstable and un-nerving at the same time. Seemed like I could get out of control very easily. Of course I tried all different modes and all the same.

Fast forward a couple months until now and getting ready for the Fest. I hadn't thought a lot about it until I got some drag radials put on my 18" Weld wheels and tried them out. It seemed to be even worse.. so much so that I doubt I'll even make a run on the drag strip unless I can figure this thing out. DRs are back off and just bringing stock tires/wheels now. Not even going to mess with it and will be too busy anyway.

My thoughts are something in the suspension is loose and soon as a variation in the pavement or adjustment in steering happens it starts to get out of control. I'll have Pete take a look at the fest but not holding my breath that anything can be fixed at that point.

Also, when at the Drag strip in April I sort of wrote it off to the feel of eLSD kicking in and this could also be the case. If so, not good because is scary as hell. The safest way to reproduce seems to be around 65 mph and move the steering wheel back and forth. It doesn't take much to feel completely out of control. Again, I've turned all nannies off, tried different sport modes. Gone just straight sport or tour and no difference.

Just wondering if any one else experienced this.
I have made tons of 120-129 mph runs and with the stock tires, straight as an arrow. But on 17x305 MTs @20 pounds I get the waggle. But if I make an effort to lock my arms at speed it helps alot.

It has scared me a couple of times.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #147
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post

Yeah, that was me. It makes a world of difference. Labor intensive, yes, but SOOO worth it.

I have test driven the ZLE a few times and IMO, (other than the spring rates and shocks) the biggest handling improvement between the ZL1 and SS 1LE to the ZL1 1LE is the rear cradle bushings. 90% of the front suspension including the arms, bushings, etc. are the same part numbers on all 3 cars.

This is why I LOVE the SS 1LE with the upgraded rear cradle bushings. You get the solid feel of the ZL1 1LE without the harsh ride penalty. The same could be said for the ZL1 as well.

For those that are NOT track rats, it is the best of both worlds.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06

Last edited by TRZ06; 01-23-2019 at 02:04 PM.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #148
mlee
CamaroFans.com

I was going through some old PDR video and actually zero'd in on the first time I had this issue. You can see steering angle, throttle and such on the video as I made a pass on a narrow 2 lane road.

Don't have time to edit it right now but want to do slow mo on it and I'll post it in the OP in a couple weeks.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #149
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Okay... here's the video of the 1st time it happened on the way to San Antonio with a large group of Camaros.

You can see the steering angle change while trying to keep it straight.

Yes the road wasn't the best but hit the drag strip that night and had the same issue.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:16 PM   #150
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
damn, that is borderline dangerous....
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:26 PM   #151
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
That seems very dangerous, could have resulted in a bad accident during that pass. My ZLE will step out a little due to wheel-spin under WOT in 2nd, but always self corrects with stability control. Even when it's happened in 2nd at WOT at 70 mph, it self corrects with ease and feels fun. When I do this in a tight lane, like the Sepulveda tunnel in LA where I live, I make sure to move over from the wall due to bumps and the chance it'll wiggle too close to wall. Can't resist the sound of WOT in that tunnel :-)

This is happening with no wheel-spin right?
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #152
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
damn, that is borderline dangerous....
Yup... scared the crap out of me. Another Camaro was right behind me and made mention of it later that night when I complained on the track.

I completely forgot I had the PDR video on until just recently when cleaning off old videos and found this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
That seems very dangerous, could have resulted in a bad accident during that pass. My ZLE will step out a little due to wheel-spin under WOT in 2nd, but always self corrects with stability control. Even when it's happened in 2nd at WOT at 70 mph, it self corrects with ease and feels fun. When I do this in a tight lane, like the Sepulveda tunnel in LA where I live, I make sure to move over from the wall due to bumps and the chance it'll wiggle too close to wall. Can't resist the sound of WOT in that tunnel :-)

This is happening with no wheel-spin right?
No wheel spin at all or it would have shown up on the PDR as well. This wasn't stepping out which I'm quite familiar with.