Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 08-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #1
Chay

Drives: Camaro
Smile My First Camaro 2018 1LT Journey

I want to have a separate thread so that i can post all questions and get guidance from all the wonderful people over here. This is my first Camaro (2018), which took almost 2 months for the build and delivered to the Dealership.

1LT Hyper blue Metallic
Black Alloys
RS package
Technology Package
NPP Exhaust
Chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Chay

I am going to get my car on 11th Aug and i have few questions on how to start with.
Need help with the following things , can some one answer these

1. To protect the car from chips and tar, I want to get some extra protection layer, is that called clear coat? If yes from where i can get it done
2. Need to install Rock guards, Read somewhere that ZL1 rock guards will perfectly fit 1LT , is that true , if not which one should i buy
a. I want to get Dash cam and Radar installed. Read lot of reviews and i am still in the verge of deciding whether to go for Blackvue 750 2 channel or Thinkware 770 wifi dash cam, Please suggest which one to go for
b. For the radar i have decided to buy Uniden R3 radar detector.
c. Do you guys know of any place in Arkansas where i can get Dash cam and Radar installed. Videos show that we can do but i dont know if i can run the cables for both front and back camera's
4. I want to have 360 degrees or birdview cam installed i dont see any proper links of compatible model. One i found called Gen5DIY but not sure if its OEM and comes up on my 8" screen or not.
5. I want Dashcam and Radar to be hardwired, if i do that will i tamper the electrical warranty on my car?
6. I am planning to get Ground effects packaage, Showroom one is cost 2250 plus installation charges. If i get a complete ground effects set from third party instead of dealership , what is the best price for the product along with installation ? Found this nice rear diffuser https://www.lmperformance.com/839748...r-1-piece.html.

Sorry for too many questions at a time
Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #3
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Congrats on the new car!

Looked at the diffuser you linked. I've read so many horror stories about Duraflex fitment issues. My advice is stay away.

And BTW....

zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:32 AM   #4
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
congrats on the new car!
Definitely get the ZL1addons rock guards. And get the deluxe ones.
That should take care of most major rock chip issues on the rear panel behind the door. If you want to go further, you can get a paint protection film package by Xpel or 3M. Google search that.
I don't know anything about dash cams or radar.
I don't really like a lot of extra stuff in my car when I'm driving, cluttering up the dash, etc. It would drive me crazy.
I'm also not a big fan of aftermarket ground effects kits, most of them are really tacky. The most I would recommend would be an OEM 1LE front splitter.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:26 AM   #5
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Did you get the automatic or manual?
Old 08-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
Chay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
Did you get the automatic or manual?

Automatic
Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
Chay

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1chris View Post
Congrats on the new car!

Looked at the diffuser you linked. I've read so many horror stories about Duraflex fitment issues. My advice is stay away.

And BTW....

Sorry about that I am going to get the delivery of my car tomorrow. I was bit over excited to get the stuff ready
Old 08-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chay View Post
Automatic
I hope yours is good. My A8 was so plagued with problems it just spent 3 weeks at the dealer! If I was going to buy another one I would get the 6 speed.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
I hope yours is good. My A8 was so plagued with problems it just spent 3 weeks at the dealer! If I was going to buy another one I would get the 6 speed.

If you can drive manual why the hell did you buy an automatic man
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I am going to get my car on 11th Aug and i have few questions on how to start with.

1. To protect the car from chips and tar, I want to get some extra protection layer, is that called clear coat? If yes from where i can get it done
2. Need to install Rock guards, Read somewhere that ZL1 rock guards will perfectly fit 1LT , is that true , if not which one should i buy
a. I want to get Dash cam and Radar installed. Read lot of reviews and i am still in the verge of deciding whether to go for Blackvue 750 2 channel or Thinkware 770 wifi dash cam, Please suggest which one to go forb. For the radar i have decided to buy Uniden R3 radar detector. c. Do you guys know of any place in Arkansas where i can get Dash cam and Radar installed. Videos show that we can do but i dont know if i can run the cables for both front and back camera's
4. I want to have 360 degrees or birdview cam installed i dont see any proper links of compatible model. One i found called Gen5DIY but not sure if its OEM and comes up on my 8" screen or not.
5. I want Dashcam and Radar to be hardwired, if i do that will i tamper the electrical warranty on my car?

6. I am planning to get Ground effects packaage, Showroom one is cost 2250 plus installation charges. If i get a complete ground effects set from third party instead of dealership , what is the best price for the product along with installation ? Found this nice rear diffuser https://www.lmperformance.com/839748...r-1-piece.html.

Sorry for too many questions at a time
1. The clear coat is already on your car, it's the topmost layer applied in the factory on top of the (color) paint. You may be thinking of clear film or ceramic coating, both of which are optional and there are many threads discussing their pros and cons. I have no film but do have ceramic on the entire car, including windows and windshields---in a nutshell, it enhances the look and makes for very easy cleaning, but does not protect against scratches and rock chips.

2. The OEM GM splash guards look very good but offer little protection. Presumably you mean the ZL1 Addons rock guards, they should work. I chose the one from RPI Designs that is very similar in look and sturdiness.

3. I have the Blackvue 750 2CH and it's a great choice. If you can spring for the 4K model, you might want to consider that, because the 1080p output on the 750 only allows reading license plates from about 25-30 feet at best. I installed the dash cam myself, it's very easy to do, and with the Blackvue and the PowerMagic Pro you will achieve an elegant OEM look, no wires hanging or visible anywhere except right at the connectors. I imagine the Thinkview would be similar. See my posts on the install in this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530447

5. Nah, use proper fuse taps that are 100% reversible without any trace.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Well some of us have grown tired of the clutch pedal, plus those pesky auto transes have become a million times better recently. Please don't cast stones (too hard )

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
What kind of question is that? There are many personal preferences on why people choose the auto. For me it's much easier to daily and its faster at the track. Kind of a win win for me.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #13
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:

Clear coat is applied at the factory and is necessary for pretty much all modern automotive paints. It's not an option you can or can't get. As far as additional protection goes, waxes and sealants provide some protection against oxidation and contaminates, but will do virtually nothing against chips. The best bet here is splash guards and protective wraps. The latter can take the form of the old fabric bras to used to see back in the 90's to clear bras which are virtually invisible and can even be applied to the entire vehicle. I have Xpel applied to my front, rockers, and behind the rear wheels on the quarter panels. The cost for me was $775. It won't guarantee protection against all chips, but will prevent all but the worst of them.

Quote:
You probably need to do #6 first as any ground effects package is going to determine what options you can use in terms of OEM vs aftermarket. Personally I have the OEM ones, but I have no ground effects, nor do I want any. IMO they look the best, but probably don't offer as much protection as some. Combined with my Xpel, I think they are adequate for what I need.

Quote:
It's possible, but unlikely especially if the connection is fused. It's also possible your installer might damage the existing wiring during the install which might affect your warranty if it causes other problems and you want GM to fix it.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
[QUOTE=Nsxmatt;10278851]What kind of question is that? There are many personal preferences on why people choose the auto. For me it's much easier to daily and its faster at the track. Kind of a win win for me.

This car has three things going for it that make it what it is in my opinion.

The best things that has is the fact that it's rear-wheel drive has a manual transmission and a V8.

Now you can damn a guy for not getting a V8. But it does cost substantially more so there's the Financial excuse.

But paying more to get an automatic transmission and then telling guys that it was a choice come on now.

It could be faster at the track all you want it to be. and it is and it's definitely more convenient .

But it'll never be as fun sound as good or be as cool as a manual transmission.

Put it this way I have a V6 it's pretty good I like it. But it's definitely no V8 it's not as fun doesn't sound as good definitely not as cool

So to me that's what an auto is but worse.

On top of that you're actually paying more to have the manual taken out of your car just ridiculous.

And I'm not attacking you it just seems every single guy who owns an auto has the excuse when you know not everyone can drive a manual. In their heads they can and on the internet they can but in real life they can't.

However you may be fantastic with manuel I don't know but we sure as hell know that everybody isn't.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote