Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
CamaroBruno

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black: 1LT; RS; NPP; Bose
Where do people put their phones??

Just took delivery yesterday on my new '16 and love it. But in the couple hours I've driven it, haven't been able to figure out the best spot for my phone. Maybe it serves me right for splurging on the (too big - never again) iPhone 6S+ but I'm in need of a solution. I read a thread where a poster said a particular Spigen airvent mount worked, but it blocked the left console vent and didn't have room for the lightning connector. The phone does not fit inside the arm rest and I'd rather not put it in the spot behind the arm rest where the wireless charging pad would be, had I bought it. The cupholders are currently pulling phone duty, but it takes up both and god forbid I'm thirsty.

So where are people putting their phones (if they want to plug in and use CarPlay)??
CamaroBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
I use either the rear cup holder or the all but worthless and difficult to access door pocket -- but, I use bluetooth only and don't physically connect via cable unless it's to charge via my 12V outlet to USB adapter.

GM really needs to release a revised rear phone holder that works for phones that aren't considered small or outdated.

My only real gripe about the interior is the absolute abysmal thought when it comes to mobile tech placement. There simply aren't any good locations to put tablet/XL phones, which aren't the minority they used to be.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
I am currently standing my Galaxy S4 up in the rearmost of the two cup holders on the center console. When plugged into the USB in the console compartment, I throw it down on the passenger seat. My girlfriend and I haven't ridden together enough yet for me to work out what we will do with everything.

Edit: Sometimes, I just leave my phone in whatever pocket it happens to be in when I get in, and it pairs up to the car via BT just fine.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
CamaroBruno

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black: 1LT; RS; NPP; Bose
Naperville, huh?? I helped open up the Apple Store downtown there about 6-7 years ago. Small world. Also, I'm beginning to realize that bluetooth pairing might be the way to go so I can stash the phone in the door. Or I'll string an extra long cable under the driver seat. BT might not be that bad a loss either since Carplay seems less valuable with Apple Maps still approximating hot garbage. I'd still love a way to get Google Maps up on that beautiful 8" screen...
CamaroBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I am currently standing my Galaxy S4 up in the rearmost of the two cup holders on the center console. When plugged into the USB in the console compartment, I throw it down on the passenger seat. My girlfriend and I haven't ridden together enough yet for me to work out what we will do with everything.
Sitting in passenger seat plugged in is also what I do. Assuming you don't have abrupt velocity or direction changes, it works just fine. Though, my Note 5 doesn't sit up well w/o a drink in the front holder and unfortunately, when you lay it on its side, the side supports right on the charge plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBruno View Post
Naperville, huh?? I helped open up the Apple Store downtown there about 6-7 years ago. Small world. Also, I'm beginning to realize that bluetooth pairing might be the way to go so I can stash the phone in the door. Or I'll string an extra long cable under the driver seat. BT might not be that bad a loss either since Carplay seems less valuable with Apple Maps still approximating hot garbage. I'd still love a way to get Google Maps up on that beautiful 8" screen...
I actually just moved out there from Chicago. Saved a buttload of monthly funds by doing so (like 750/mo).

I don't play audio through it, so I can't speak to audio clarity. I will point out that there are odd things that happen with BT interconnect.

If you get too many texts at once and try to listen to them, it'll seemingly hang up MyLink or the BT connection from my phone. I'll have to power off BT and then wait and then relink it to get things to work again. I have the integrated Nav on mine, so I use that mostly... At the moment, I'm really just using the BT interlink for phone calls and listening to texts (and quick replies when I can)
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:57 AM   #6
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
It only fits in the trunk, it would seem. Where do you put ANYTHING in this car lol. Its my one big gripe. No room for even gum. With my pistol and my wallet in the center console, it's basically all used up.

I didn't buy the car for its cargo capacity but still......

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
Lucely Engineered

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Sales View Post
It only fits in the trunk, it would seem. Where do you put ANYTHING in this car lol. Its my one big gripe. No room for even gum. With my pistol and my wallet in the center console, it's basically all used up.

I didn't buy the car for its cargo capacity but still......

All the best,

Jared Royce
My XDm doesn't even fit in the center console...
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #8
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucely Engineered View Post
My XDm doesn't even fit in the center console...
Yep. I tried my S&W M&P45C in there. Not even close. I ended up getting a Kel-Tec PF9 to stash in there.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Emoto
Sure, why not?

You guys didn't order the "Q Package" with twin Browning 50s? Tsk, tsk...
Old 05-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
There are rear cupholders?
Never looked in the back yet.......

BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
shawn0138

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 2014 Chevy Impala
[QUOTE= I'd still love a way to get Google Maps up on that beautiful 8" screen...[/QUOTE]

That easy just get an Android phone. Android Auto uses Google Maps.

Folks I am just kidding here.
shawn0138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn0138 View Post
That easy just get an Android phone. Android Auto uses Google Maps.

Folks I am just kidding here.
But, are you? I haven't seen Android Auto yet. Doesn't it display Google maps?
Old 05-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #13
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
It displays google maps and google play very well through Android Auto. There is another post where a guy makes the 3d post holder that fits in your charger port and holds your phone. If you are using android or Apple plugged in anyways do not need the charger port.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #14
JoeAyalaM
Account Suspended

Drives: Audi S6 V8TT, Volvos XC60 & S60R
Seems like GM interior designers are ordered to leave their phones out the office and forget about their existence while at work.
JoeAyalaM is offline   Reply With Quote