Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
ARCTIC

Drives: 2017 1SS convertible
A8 manual shifting method??

So I've tried on several different occasions to use the shift paddles and the shifter to manually row through the gears and either I am not doing it correctly or that option is kinda worthless. It feels lazy shifting. I had hoped for an instant gear bump when hitting the shift paddle but it seems to have a very disconnected feel and it almost just shifts when it wants to. Do I need to be right up to the redline to get a quick instant shift? What's the proper technique?
Old 05-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
cjon9657

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
Send a message via MSN to cjon9657
I got a trifecta tune on my camaro and it has helped with shifting quicker. Honestly i never use the paddles. But thats just my preference.
cjon9657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
So I've tried on several different occasions to use the shift paddles and the shifter to manually row through the gears and either I am not doing it correctly or that option is kinda worthless. It feels lazy shifting. I had hoped for an instant gear bump when hitting the shift paddle but it seems to have a very disconnected feel and it almost just shifts when it wants to. Do I need to be right up to the redline to get a quick instant shift? What's the proper technique?
I've never tried it on a Camaro, but I've driven and played with it on some Cadillacs including a CTS-V Sport and had the same experience. Maybe I was doing it wrong but it's not "fun" or crisp. Nothing beats a real manual.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Have you guys tried lifting off the throttle a bit just as you hit the paddle for an upshift - and getting right back into it after the upshift happens - like you would if you were driving a MT car? I'm guessing a bit here, but reduced throttle is typically a signal for the AT to go to a higher gear because the demand for max acceleration has gone away. Although doing that would probably reduce the likelihood of chirping the tires if that's what anybody is trying to get out of this.

I know that with a little practice you can manually rev-match manually commanded downshifts in an AT car while setting up for a corner so you don't get any forward lurching.

Norm
Old 05-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
Johnwon

Drives: 2016 Mosaic Black 2SS, NPP, A8.
I've noticed the same and I keep my car in Sport mode. I don't use the paddles, but in stop and go traffic, I'll toss it into manual many times so that I can slow the car down with the engine without riding the brakes and covering my wheels with brake dust. My goal in the next couple months is to change the pads to eliminate all the dust. Not that it matters much, but I notice my millage drop significantly when I manually shift vs. allowing the auto to do it.
Johnwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:27 PM   #6
JRS

Drives: 16 camaro M6/ 18 ZL1 camaro A10
The A8 will never shift very fast or crisp with the way the oil passages and valve body is designed that's why the A10 is designed differently to accommodate lightning fast shifts and immediate reaction to the paddles.

If your looking for better shift for drag racing the best thing is automatic mode or shifting about 500 rpms before redline in manual mode because by the time you get to redline it will have shifted to the next gear.
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:32 AM   #7
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Yea its disappointing to say the least.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
The reaction to the paddles depends on what mode you are in, what RPM's and what throttle. I find that if I am just tooling around town in Tour mode, the upshifts are lazy. If I'm in track mode, at full or near full throttle, and the RPM's are approaching redline, the shifts are much more crisp.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwon View Post
I've noticed the same and I keep my car in Sport mode. I don't use the paddles, but in stop and go traffic, I'll toss it into manual many times so that I can slow the car down with the engine without riding the brakes and covering my wheels with brake dust. My goal in the next couple months is to change the pads to eliminate all the dust. Not that it matters much, but I notice my millage drop significantly when I manually shift vs. allowing the auto to do it.
The transmission programming will downshift to engine brake for you when left in auto mode. Especially when going down a hill. Not sure you will get the same response in stop and go traffic, but give it a try. The programming is pretty smart, and I get a ton of engine braking in my normal driving in automatic mode. But, I live in a very hilly valley.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Steps for shifting like a manual:

1. Remove A8 transmission

2. Install clutch

3. Install clutch pedal

4. Install 6 speed manual transmission

fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:46 AM   #11
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Just a guess but tuning the trans would likely improve this situation. My 5th auto is tuned including the trans and shifts are quick and very firm in Sport Mode. It chirps the first 3 gears now. Was like mush when on the stock tune.....Paddle shifts are quicker and more firm than stock as well. Might be something to consider to the OP?
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #12
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
Up shifts work best under heavy throttle and higher rpm. For aggressive downshifting, hold the paddle instead of clicking through each gear.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #13
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Steps for shifting like a manual:

1. Remove A8 transmission

2. Install clutch

3. Install clutch pedal

4. Install 6 speed manual transmission

LOL, true.

The only 'auto' trannies I know of that shift instantly are the dual clutch (DSG)and sequentials that are both manuals at heart.

The more common automatics with a TC and valve body usually have a slight delay when shifting manually. I think part if it is for smoothness. Although I'm a manual guy all the way, a DSG in a Camaro would be killer - 11s wil be a piece of cake.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:17 AM   #14
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
Up shifts work best under heavy throttle and higher rpm. For aggressive downshifting, hold the paddle instead of clicking through each gear.
I'm a little leary of this feature. Everywhere I've read says it will automatically downshift, down to 3rd. everytime I've tried it, I've almost redlined the car in 1st to slow down to pull into a gas station, looking like a retard. It never just stopped at 3rd, it kept a-going.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote