Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Has anyone used the Amtrak "Auto Train"?

I've been looking around today at a possible FL trip where we would take the car. It would give me an extra bit of time to drive it since the temps are dropping off here (although it is sometimes warm even into the early part of November - you never know).

At any rate, the thought was to drive to VA and load the car onto the Amtrak "Auto Train" and travel overnight to FL. Similar in return. It would save the miles on the car, get us there significantly quicker than if I had to drive the entire trip, and would seemingly be less risky than traveling by plane.

I started to research the Auto Train and found that A) it's actually pretty expensive for two people round trip for the week I'm looking at and B) they load and unload your car and you're not allowed anywhere near the area when they do it.

I don't let people drive my vehicles in general, and I'm even less unlikely to hand over the keys on this one because it's a manual. I've watched online videos of the loading and unloading process and I don't much care for how fast they drive the cars through the rail cars (in some circumstances) and the fact that it seems there are a lot of people that will have to walk by the car once it's loaded. Add to that the fact that they apparently don't do anything beyond setting the parking brake (they do not secure the cars in any way that I can find) and the rail cars have very little room to open the door to get out of the vehicle.

They also state that the car has to have 4" of ground clearance, but I'm still a bit concerned they'll damage the splitter on the front when driving between rail cars on the ramps.

I think I might be talking myself into just driving since the drive between here and VA is 6 hours or so (400 miles) by itself and the whole trip is 18 hours of driving (1300 miles). I've made the drive a number of times in the past, so it isn't like I couldn't do it. Was just thinking the Auto Train might be worth doing, but I'm concerned about the potential risk to the car.

Has anyone used this specific train service with the Gen6? What were the results?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
andy3213

Drives: 2019 1SS
I took the auto train earlier this year with my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. The reality is that they load/unload 300 cars in about 90 minutes. The ramps are about 50 yards from the terminal and you can stand there and watch them move your car if you want.

We took the GC so we could load it with luggage and stuff. Would I take my Camaro if we didn't need the space, yeah sure, why not? But if you're going to obsess about the car the entire time, then maybe it's not for you.

But just compare the risk that your car could get damaged otherwise on the drive; stone chips, flat tires, someone running into the back of it in traffic, etc.
andy3213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3213 View Post
I took the auto train earlier this year with my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee. The reality is that they load/unload 300 cars in about 90 minutes. The ramps are about 50 yards from the terminal and you can stand there and watch them move your car if you want.

We took the GC so we could load it with luggage and stuff. Would I take my Camaro if we didn't need the space, yeah sure, why not? But if you're going to obsess about the car the entire time, then maybe it's not for you.

But just compare the risk that your car could get damaged otherwise on the drive; stone chips, flat tires, someone running into the back of it in traffic, etc.
Yeah, I can appreciate the risk on the road. Just watching the videos, though, the big concern is scratched up paint from all of the foot traffic through the rail cars. And I’m still doing a lot of driving. Including the drive to the train in VA and from the train in Sanford, then the return, it’s a total of about 900 miles / 14 hours of driving. Driving the whole way is 2500 miles / 36 hours.

Definitely a reduction in time and miles with the train. But the delta between the train and a night in a hotel to split the drive is well over $1000.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #4
camaroras

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I’ve used it to transport my previous car (Subaru BRZ). I had some anxiety over it, but didn’t end up having any issues. It was paid for by my employer as part of a move, but otherwise probably wouldn’t have done it as it took the same amount of time, if not longer, than just driving.
camaroras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
hfur
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Chevy camaro
auto train is great

yeah, i've done it numerous times....no problems...such a great feeling when you pull into sanford,fl and your car is with you! They have been doing this for years..very accountable to the cars...never any problems with scrathches, dents, etc...just think about when you get your camaro to florida, driving on I-4, or down I-95 with sunshine, long, fast, straight, roads with palm trees on either side, hey take your camaro on the beach at daytona and get some nice pictures...go for it...you will enjoy it...
hfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I booked the Auto Train 4 Years ago to go North & back. I figured it would be great - I could sit back, have a few Drinks and be where I need to be.

Well, there was a Hurricane Scare so they cancelled the Trip with about 36 Hours Notice. So I had to Drive to NY & back.

I was looking forward to and will try it again one day ( maybe next year)
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote