Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #43
Raptor Jesus
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCC View Post
my 18 1LE only has 4k miles and ZL1 rock guards installed on all four tires at 2400 miles . . .I was waxing it last week and couldn't believe the pits and wear in the low quarters right behind the door (above the factory protective film). I know the EPA has been hammering the paint industry, but come on, its like there is only one coat of thin clear on these parts. I'm getting ready to wrap the whole vehicle, not only to get a cool matte finish, but to keep the factory finish covered and protected!
If any of you decide to have your car wrapped, make sure they use a quality "cast" vinyl like Avery or 3m and usually it will remove with ease within 3 years with no damage to the stock paint job. Beats 8-10k for a paint job!
Or just drive the hell out of it and not worry about it!
So you're going to spend thousands to cover up the paint job to protect the paint that you never are going to see ....
Raptor Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #44
ChaosCC

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
So you're going to spend thousands to cover up the paint job to protect the paint that you never are going to see ....
Actually, I'm going to spend $500 on vinyl and a weekend of my time to get a cool matte red finish, plus complete paint protection. So if i do decide to sell the car in a few years, it's not completely pitted and chipped!
"without chaos . . . nothing can evolve!"
ChaosCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #45
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
That's my opinion on phone cases too
yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #46
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyz View Post
Apart from rock guards in the wheel wells, is there some sort of system for the front? I've seen some type of guard up front on some cars, but I think thats more for bugs, than rock chips on the hood.

I dont like the clear bra stuff.
Why don't you like PPF. Modern stuff doesn't yellow and lasts a long time as long as you care for it decently, just like you would paint normally. The Xpel on my wife's car is just shy of 4 years and I have had zero issues. Even had a good sized rock hit th hood so hard it rippled the film and tore it. After a few days in the heat the ripples were gone and the tear is barely noticeable. It would have left probably a 1 inch scar on the hood judging by the initial look, I never thought to take a picture of it right after it happened because I never would have dreamed it would have healed that much.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #47
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
1000 miles, 3 highway trips and two rock chips already on the rear quarters. I installed ZL1 Addons rock guards with 10 miles on the odo.

Its parked until I can get Xpel installed. Stuff is like $2500 for quarters front hood edge, and front fenders.
.Xpel tracwrap until you get the permanent stuff. I have been weary of buying a car a long distance away because of the rock chips I think I would get driving it back. And this year I'll be putting it over my existing xpel for vacation and just letting the bugs pile up as far as they can, then remove and trash it when I get home.
And you might shop around, my Xpel installer charged 1900 for FULL front end, plus mirrors, and front foot of roof and Xpel nano Ceramic tint. And they are a very reputable shop, they do everything from Kia's to Lambo's.

Last edited by SnakeEyeSS; 04-09-2019 at 04:15 PM.
SnakeEyeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #48
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
It's not a design FLAW per se but it is due to the design. The camaro has wide hips that tend to catch rocks flying off the front tires. It was exactly the same with the 5th gen. GM put clear protection back there but not nearly high enough.

The thin paint is basically an industry standard these days. Blame the EPA. GM paint isn't the best, i'll admit.
+1

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #49
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2006 Z06
Can’t be that expensive to repaint the rocker panels every couple years. I put a clear bra on the front bumper and the hood is already wrapped since it’s s 1LE. Good enough for me for only a few hundred.
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:23 AM   #50
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
This is what is wrapped on my 2020 2SS (Xpel self healing)... Only stone chip I have is on the windshield so far (2700 miles) (I do NOT follow closely on the highway and am ALWAYS evaluating the vehicles I am following for stone throwing potential)...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:56 AM   #51
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
This is what is wrapped on my 2020 2SS (Xpel self healing)... Only stone chip I have is on the windshield so far (2700 miles) (I do NOT follow closely on the highway and am ALWAYS evaluating the vehicles I am following for stone throwing potential)...

Exactly what I did 2 years ago. Looks as good as the day it was put on.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:33 AM   #52
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
No protection film here, no plan to. It's my 'daily', for the most part, and rock chips and such are just a part of life. It's not a show car and unless you really go looking anyway, you won't see the damage. Some Dr. Colorchip for big stuff and keeping up with typical detailing and call it a day.

You still get rock damage showing in the films (even 'self healing') and it just doesn't seem worth the cost, to me. Once my bumper looks like the moon, I can always get it repaired and repainted if it bothers me. Car is black, so matching isn't difficult.

Brother has film on his 4-Runner TRD and it just doesn't look as good as bare paint. You still see 'wear' in the film, which makes it look worse, to me, than just being on the paint finish itself.

Given the front bumper is all plastic and the hood is aluminum, no real worry on rust from those chips, either. So it's just cosmetic, which is fine, but just keep that in mind. Also, for 'trade-in' and maintaining value later on, perhaps if you private sell it and take your time finding that perfect buyer. That is the last thing dealers care about with a trade in, honestly. They look up in a system your year/model and general condition... They can care less how many rock chips or swirls you have in your paint, unless you have some serious damage.

Also, be cautious of those who claim how good the film still looks after "X" years, too. Too many factors to judge quality and the films ability to maintain the finish long term. Does the car sit out of a garage, how many miles? Mileage is a far better judgement than time, considering most here garage and it seems few really put decent mileage on their Camaros!
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #53
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
I have the same issue. If I keep the car long enough, I'll just have it re-sprayed and do PPF or something.

The chips are too tiny for touchup paint to really be an effective option.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #54
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchiliesSS View Post
Hey there all, I have to ask if I'm the only one that has been experiencing trouble with the factory paint? I have noticed the paint is very thin, is this just my car or me or has anyone else noticed this and have been inconvenienced by it? One day after a car wash I noticed on both sides, my rear quarters and the back of the rocker panels looked as if I splashed in white paint. After looking into it, it was rock ships and you can see the cars paint was severely thin. The service manager tried to tell me its a design flaw in the aero of the car and I agreed it was, then he stated that I must drive a lot on the highway and that I need side splitters. I immediately argued the fact with him that first of all the fact its a flaw in the aero is a gm issue not mine and that it isn't far for unexpected customers to deal with there flaw regardless of how many highway miles I put on the car it was only a year old with less than 20k on it and that its the purpose of buying the car was to drive it. Also I stated if it needs side splitter/rock guards to prevent this due to a design flaw then they should have come stock. After proving my point and not giving up, he finally agreed to repaint the panels. Now I have noticed after another year of the same driving practices at least on my rear quarters the issue doesn't exist due to the fact I believe that when they painted it, it was finally done to a better standard that the factory should have done to begin with. But now I have small but plentiful and noticeable ships all over the hood, fenders and some again on the side skirts, but none on the bumber, either do to that fact they knew they had to go with a thicker coat or the fact that the aero doesn't pull in debree to the front bumber, or even being the most of it is plastic grills with better adhesion and paint. before anyone states that without pictures this is usless, I will first say that I am sure anyone imagination can depict what I'm saying without photos and what missing paint looks like and that I am having android issues with uploading them. What do you guys think and what are your experiences?

Nope...no issue at all with my paint. Not even any noticable rock chips at over 40k DD miles and not garage kept.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote