Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #29
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
You're going to get protectant to cover the paint that costs more than the cost to repaint itself?
Thats a good point. At least with a wrap or plastidip (many many coats), you get a totally different color.......whether either of those protect the paint from damage is up for debate.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #30
CTTommy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
My car has 3500 miles on it and is going in next week to have the front clip painted. Paint is peeling away on the plastic edge where the hood meets it. Xpel didn’t stop that from happening.....not happy.
CTTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:12 PM   #31
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
You're going to get protectant to cover the paint that costs more than the cost to repaint itself?
Repaint is way more than that for a quality job especially if I had to repaint the front, rockers, and rear quarters. Basically the whole car.

A quality paint job would be about 10 grand +.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #32
wintertopdown

Drives: 22 Convertible V8 LT1
i have chips all over my front. tar sticks on the car too, had to compound and wax to reduce the stratches from removing the tar.
wintertopdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #33
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
GM bought back 16s because of the primer showing through.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #34
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Basically, get the ZL1 addons rock guards immediately for any 6th gen, even the base tires.

The front guard very effectively cuts down on the amount of debris striking the side of the lower door where it flares out. I consider it essential and I'm surprised they didn't put these on standard from the factory.

Yes the paint is thin and brittle on the rest of the car, but really, that is the main problem area.

Beyond that, it just comes down to how much you want to spend. PPF on many areas of the car will run you thousands of dollars. There will still be areas uncovered, and you know you'll get a rock chip on the spot you didn't put film on, of course.

Honestly if you are super meticulous about your paint, I think the best thing to do is wrap your car.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM   #35
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Why anyone hasn't come up with a simple, low profile, black splash guard for the front of the rear wheel-wells is mind boggling. Seems like they could make a killing if they could make one molded to the contour of the car's quarters/rockers.
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #36
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
Why anyone hasn't come up with a simple, low profile, black splash guard for the front of the rear wheel-wells is mind boggling. Seems like they could make a killing if they could make one molded to the contour of the car's quarters/rockers.
For the FRONT of the rear wheel well? What would that do?
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:45 AM   #37
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
If you don’t like clear bra, then follow distance discipline is key to protecting the front end. At freeway speeds stay AT LEAST 4 car lengths away from passenger cars, and as far as possible from trucks. If you can see their tires, and you are closer than 4 car lengths, then I can guarantee that your front bumper and hood are taking hits, even if you can’t hear or see them.
Good advice. This is what I do. Saves the windshield from pitting, too.
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:51 AM   #38
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
The paint on these cars is insanely thin. Chips insanely easy. Before my OEM splash guards, my rear rockers looked pretty white and beat the snot out of.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #39
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
Yes paint is too thin. Had I known I would have bought another white Camaro. White hides flaws and chip repairs are easier,
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #40
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
6 Gen Paint Issues Anyone Else?

The chips were ridiculous. My gen 5 never had this problem. Finally paid to have a body shop replace the nose, paint to match, and apply two coats of clear. I also have the Novistretch bra for any long runs. The shop also laid down a nice black stripe on the hood. They also painted and installed the splitter. Luckily, I’m retired and I have the money. Cost was about $2k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by rshelar; 04-07-2019 at 07:43 PM.
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:54 AM   #41
CruzinQueen

Drives: 2017 1LT RS Convertible V6 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertopdown View Post
i have chips all over my front. tar sticks on the car too, had to compound and wax to reduce the stratches from removing the tar.
If you're not into ceramic coatings or Xpel or whatever the newest technology is out there, wax your car by hand every 4 months or so with Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. That stuff will make tar slide off and help prevent scratches/swirls/etc.

2019 GMC Terrain SLE 1.5T - Blue Steel Metallic/Black Cloth "Soccer Mom Spec"
CruzinQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #42
ChaosCC

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
my 18 1LE only has 4k miles and ZL1 rock guards installed on all four tires at 2400 miles . . .I was waxing it last week and couldn't believe the pits and wear in the low quarters right behind the door (above the factory protective film). I know the EPA has been hammering the paint industry, but come on, its like there is only one coat of thin clear on these parts. I'm getting ready to wrap the whole vehicle, not only to get a cool matte finish, but to keep the factory finish covered and protected!
If any of you decide to have your car wrapped, make sure they use a quality "cast" vinyl like Avery or 3m and usually it will remove with ease within 3 years with no damage to the stock paint job. Beats 8-10k for a paint job!
Or just drive the hell out of it and not worry about it!
"without chaos . . . nothing can evolve!"
ChaosCC is offline   Reply With Quote