Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 05-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Nissan Z-car teaser

First Supra, now Nissan Z. When is RX7 (or 8 or 9) coming back?
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Right? Saw Nissan's possible 400z.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Always loved the Z cars. I just hope they dont also ditch the manual transmission option like every other manufacturer.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
I remember when I was a kid we went to the local Datsun dealer to look at cars. I quickly spotted a 260Z and said “dad, let’s get this one”!

Turns out we were looking a B210’s. We ended up getting a Pinto.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #5
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
My second car ever was a 1971 Datsun 240 Z. Great car! It was a ton of fun to be sure.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
First Supra, now Nissan Z. When is RX7 (or 8 or 9) coming back?
Ah, the Rotary eXperiment, we've probably seen the last of RX cars. Reliability and poor MPG made sure of that (although I only experienced the latter on my RX8). Every few years we get another rumor. The last was a rotary hybrid drivetrain of sorts. The skeleton rotary powertrain team at Mazda probably looks like the Camaro team at Chevy (assigned to other projects).

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Ah, the Rotary eXperiment, we've probably seen the last of RX cars. Reliability and poor MPG made sure of that (although I only experienced the latter on my RX8). Every few years we get another rumor. The last was a rotary hybrid drivetrain of sorts. The skeleton rotary powertrain team at Mazda probably looks like the Camaro team at Chevy (assigned to other projects).
A number of companies, Mazda included, are looking at rotary engines as range extenders for battery electric vehicles. Turns out when you can limit the operating range to its sweet spot, the rotary can be a very efficient power generator. Mass and packaging are also very attractive features for use as a range extender. In any of these situations, the rotary would not drive the wheels. It would simply charge the battery.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
Well the rotary isnt fuel economy and eats oil. Just not smart of Mazda to bring it back. Although, I am digging the new 2.7L Turbo engine GM is now using with dual valves to the the turbo. Works similar to the 90s technology of sequential turbos.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescamaro View Post
Well the rotary isnt fuel economy and eats oil. Just not smart of Mazda to bring it back. Although, I am digging the new 2.7L Turbo engine GM is now using with dual valves to the the turbo. Works similar to the 90s technology of sequential turbos.
IMO the main issue is really that Mazda rotary doesn't have any economy of scales to speak of.

Technical issues? Not a problem, if you have a good R&D team and throw money at them, the problems will go away. This isn't cheap, though, and companies will have to justify this R&D cost.

For V8s of American companies, it's not an issue. They make a lot of money from pickup trucks, so R&D is easy to recoup. If they only use the V8s in sports cars, they will put a stop to it.

Same thing with the new Supra. From a business standpoint, it makes zero sense for Toyota to pour a crap load of R&D into an I6 that will only go in a low-volume sports car. I6 engines don't fit in most of their toaster FWD sedans so there is no economy of scales to leverage off of. BMW readily has a handful of I6s so it makes sense to ask one from them.

Mazda got away with the sports-car-only approach for rotaries in the past due to bubble economy. When that bursted, so did Mazda's business and we all know the days where FoMoCo is the major stockholder of Mazda. RX-8 kinda sorta had the right idea of trying to appeal to more people but the lack of R&D in the engine was showing a bit.

Mazda is also pretty broke in general, which doesn't help.

So I guess the TL;DR version is that if the rotary hybrid idea doesn't take off, I don't expect to see a rotary engine again simply because it doesn't have any economy of scales.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 05-29-2020 at 01:46 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #10
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I think I like it. I may put my intention of getting a Challenger Scat Pack on hold until more info on the Z comes out. Especially if it ends up being more classic styling like the 240 or 280 had without the ugly headlights and sharp lines of the current model and is several thousands less than the new Supra. I have mixed feeling on the Supra. It is way overpriced in my opinion and has some quirks with all the fake vents and no cooling for the seats. ect. But after watching some driving vids, it looks to be a fun car and sounds good for a six cylinder.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
I like how they threwback to the 240z streamline body line, I think its going to be good!

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #12
rich2342

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro SS
Bet it will be fast.. If they don't raise the weight. I had a 350z tuned and exhaust it was damn quick and could handle.
rich2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #13
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
I had a 260Z that I bought in College. I left it home to have some work done. My sister took it for a Spin & totalled it. I didn't have Insurance on it yet - I get Zip, lost the car, lost my money, my A$$hole sister never gave me dime!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #14
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
If I were GM, I'd be more interested in the upcoming Mustang Mach 1. I'm die hard GM, but why Ford always supplies their faithful with upgraded performance models and GM gives us $2,500 sticker packages is beyond mind-numbing.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote