Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-29-2021, 05:49 PM   #15
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
The ZL1 1LE front calipers are bigger than the SS 1LE calipers, but yes, the piston sizes are the same. The ZL1 1LE calipers will bolt right on an SS 1LE with the correct hose and rotor. The hose may be the same though.
Old 07-29-2021, 06:53 PM   #16
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
There really aren’t any reasons why the SS 1le brakes would need to be larger. Unless you’re a pro driver I can’t see anyone getting any use out of the larger Zl1 brakes.
I think for track use it would be very important?
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #17
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Bigger caliper and rotors would be a bigger heat sink which is a good thing. Some SS 1LE owners have stressed the OE setup when they add race pads. While the additional unsprung weight would be the biggest/only negative, the bigger setup would be better at managing heat.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:54 PM   #18
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I think for track use it would be very important?
Are you tracking the car?

Probably not.

The SS 1LE brakes are very good and impressive for the car. I'm a fan of big meaty brakes, but these stoppers are pretty adequate. You just don't go putting the biggest brakes, or biggest engine, in the car for track purposes. Almost everything you add has a disadvantage associated with it and only through careful balance and planning do you actually achieve something consistently faster.

On my 2nd car, it's limited by the size of the tires (at this point). The giant SS 1LE tires have tons of grip and can use the brakes very well. If you put more power on the front of the car, then yes, you want bigger more powerful brakes, but now the entire thing weighs more and it corners faster and probably needs more support from the suspension too. Just doing bigger brakes is likely carrying around more weight all the time for very little gain.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 06:46 AM   #19
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Are you tracking the car?

Probably not.

The SS 1LE brakes are very good and impressive for the car. I'm a fan of big meaty brakes, but these stoppers are pretty adequate. You just don't go putting the biggest brakes, or biggest engine, in the car for track purposes. Almost everything you add has a disadvantage associated with it and only through careful balance and planning do you actually achieve something consistently faster.

On my 2nd car, it's limited by the size of the tires (at this point). The giant SS 1LE tires have tons of grip and can use the brakes very well. If you put more power on the front of the car, then yes, you want bigger more powerful brakes, but now the entire thing weighs more and it corners faster and probably needs more support from the suspension too. Just doing bigger brakes is likely carrying around more weight all the time for very little gain.
No Im not tracking my Camaro, I teamed up with a friend of mine that has a RUSH SR and a McLaren and I'm learning on that car. The RUSH that is, he won't let me drive the McLaren. Very different animal but never the less I have learned a lot about the importance of late braking. I agree the Stock 1LE set up has great brakes and will do the job around town. I think the Camaro is an amazing car but I would rather put a 35K car into the wall then my 70K car. But there is always room for improvement with the brakes, thats the point I was making. My ZLE brakes are perfect for what I use it for.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote