Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #29
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMelt View Post
It won #1 because it's a nice car. The interior is killer, has the modern exterior appeal, and it's now competitive with the Camaro. So what? This thing sells because it's the superior daily driver and always will be if GM keeps the visibility poor. I'd hate to see the rage if the PP2 happens to lay down competitive track times on the 1LE.
Why do people keep saying 'interior is killer' and 'interior is nicer', it's the same exact interior as the MY'15-'17. What did they add, full digital gauge option? 'Nicer' cloth seats? I drove a PP '18 Mustang and drover a base '18 SS, both with cloth seats. The interior on the Mustang is NOT better. The quality of materials is the same. Whichever layout you prefer is subject to taste.

Come back when PP2 actually performs at the same level as a 1LE and doesn't overheat it's transmission like the '16 GT350 without the Track pack. The Mustang is a nice car, it's probably a better GT car than a Camaro, but it's still NOT a better performance car and won't be because Ford doesn't care. It's not designed for the track. They'll sells more Mustangs without having to compete with the Camaro, already proven.
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #30
metros11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
I knew I should have waited... However, the problem with new cars is that there will always be a new and better model coming.
There will always be something newer, hotter, faster... always. That's why a happy median should be the appreciation of what you already have and why you bought it in the first place.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #31
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by metros11 View Post
Why do people keep saying 'interior is killer' and 'interior is nicer', it's the same exact interior as the MY'15-'17. What did they add, full digital gauge option? 'Nicer' cloth seats? I drove a PP '18 Mustang and drover a base '18 SS, both with cloth seats. The interior on the Mustang is NOT better. The quality of materials is the same. Whichever layout you prefer is subject to taste.

Come back when PP2 actually performs at the same level as a 1LE and doesn't overheat it's transmission like the '16 GT350 without the Track pack. The Mustang is a nice car, it's probably a better GT car than a Camaro, but it's still NOT a better performance car and won't be because Ford doesn't care. It's not designed for the track. They'll sells more Mustangs without having to compete with the Camaro, already proven.
To my eyes the Mustang interior appears much more upscale, with more high end materials and with much better gap fits than the Camaro. Nearly every review I have seen or read backs that up!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #32
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
Sadly, while true this doesn't tell the whole story. With the more dated Mustang outselling Gen6 by large numbers even before Fords 2018 refresh, I for one would hope to see substantial interior upgrades in the upcoming 2019 Camaro refresh. If improvements are limited to just front and rear facias along with new wheels an A10 and possibly a cheaper decontented 1SS, the question will be if that in fact would be enough to increase sales to a level that guarantees a Gen7 Camaro down the road....Time will tell....Production has already been cut after huge give away discounts were necessary on a very large number of unsold Camaros forced a fire sale in Gen6's very first year, a time when sports cars traditionally sell at their very best. In addition since then the plant was forced to shut down 3rd shift to avoid a repeat, and by the way recent history has proven that GM is fully capable of pulling the plug on the Camaro, something Ford has yet to do since it's 1965 introduction with the Mustang! Let's hope we do in fact see a Gen7 down the road and if we do I will be shocked if GM doesn't go in a completely different direction with all new styling and a design that is much more liveable with the visibility issues fully addressed.
One reason Mustangs out sell Camaros is because they are cheaper. Well, they used to be cheaper and Chevy had a bad rap for a while because their interiors were the worst of the 3 and because visibility is supposed to be crap. Also, mustangs have the rep of being the gentleman's pony car... Camaros are edgy and cartoonish which appeals to a younger crowd supposedly.

Now that mustangs are about the same price and people aren't liking the new front ends, we will see what happens with sales. I thought Camaros out sold mustangs this last quarter?

Chevy sells enough Camaros to continue selling them. They'll at least try one more gen before they throw in the towel. Chevy kills them all in overall performance per dollar, the interiors are now very good, so they just need to market them better. Ford has nothing like the corvette or ZL1. Sure, a GT500 may be around the corner, but I'll bet the ZL1 will still kick it's butt.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #33
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
To my eyes the Mustang interior appears much more upscale, with more high end materials and with much better gap fits than the Camaro. Nearly every review I have seen or read backs that up!
To each their own. I happen to love my suede recaros, flat bottom steering wheel, shifter knob, and leather rear seats. I also like the touch screen, dash, and materials used. I hardly think the mustang is any better unless you opt for the 401A upgrade on the mustang which pushes the price close to 50 grand on a GT. No thanks. I'll stick with my $40k 1LE with the standard suede and leather.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #34
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Went to the LA auto show a few weeks ago and had a chance to sit in and play with all the coupes. In american muscle, imho Mustang was best all around, definitely better interior. Camaro number two and Challenger number three. I’m 6’1” and the Challenger fit me best by far and Camaro was tightest fit , Mustang was right in the middle. Exterior looks the Camaro ZL1 1le was the best looking from every angle but the rear could use some help especially taillights. I like the gm powertrain better than ford , especially the manual trans. Ford sticks are week.
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #35
Chazzz

I will agree that the recaros are top notch but they are aftermarket, also the suade steering wheel and shift knob are a nice touch. In general though base for base the Mustang appears more top notch to me and most reviewers. I say that as constructive criticism only in the hopes that GM continues to move the Camaro interior more upscale. I realize that we didn't buy these cars for an upscale interior, just as we didn't decide on them for practicality, back seat room, trunk space, and outward visability. In the long run though these are all areas that slow Camaro sales and add to Fords sales success
with the Mustang. I'm convinced that if we do one day see a Gen7 these issues will all be addressed and the Camaro will be a more popular and much more livable sports car as a result.

Last edited by Chazzz; 12-21-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #36
metros11

I've been looking at these cars next to each other for 3 years... I have never read a review that explicitely stated that the Mustang interior was nicer than the Camaro's. Can you provide one resource where this review was given?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:01 PM   #37
Chazzz

Quote:
I've been looking at these cars next to each other for 3 years... I have never read a review that explicitely stated that the Mustang interior was nicer than the Camaro's. Can you provide one resource where this review was given?
That is the subject of this thread. Go to cars.usnews.com scroll down to new car rankings and click on sports cars and read the reviews.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #38
TunaMelt

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

I've only sat in the premium trim and I can say with certainty that the Mustang wins interior quality when comparing the Premium and 2SS. And has the new PP2 overheated at the track? Because last I checked it isn't even out yet. Let's let ford deliver first before we imagine races in our heads. Do I think it will beat a 1LE? Nope, but I'll be tickled if Pobst manages to beat it at Laguna just so I can see the mental gymnastics from the die-hards.
TunaMelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #39
Deakins

Drives: 2017 2ss, m6
I don't need to imagine races in my head...I've locked horns with several GT350's on the road course and guess what?? I bested all but 1 of them with my SS with upgraded front brakes. The last turned identical times. Unless you're going to try and convince me that a GT PP2 is going to eclipse their halo car I'm not worried....with that said, the 350's are very nice cars that I would love to own! The GT....get outta here.
Deakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #40
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
I have respect for all decent performance cars.
I agree that Ford did add a few nice upgrades with the new Mustang refresh.
I even like the Challenger scat pack w/ the 6.7L Hemi. It’s more of a GT car, but I ain’t no racer. And it sounds meaner than the LT1 imo.

Like some of you here, I couldn’t care less what the review/media says about the competition and the comparisons.
I enjoy my ride and that’s all it matters. Heck, I would’ve been driving a GT350 had not been for the dealers marking them up like crazy.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #41
V8RWD

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deakins View Post
I don't need to imagine races in my head...I've locked horns with several GT350's on the road course and guess what?? I bested all but 1 of them with my SS with upgraded front brakes. The last turned identical times. Unless you're going to try and convince me that a GT PP2 is going to eclipse their halo car I'm not worried....with that said, the 350's are very nice cars that I would love to own! The GT....get outta here.
You do realize that if you drove the GT350, and GT350 driver was driving your car, the outcomes could be completely different.....

And IMO GT PP2 will eclipse their halo car. Because that halo car is going bye bye and making room for GT500.
V8RWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:10 PM   #42
metros11

Quote:
That is the subject of this thread. Go to cars.usnews.com scroll down to new car rankings and click on sports cars and read the reviews.
"Inside, the Mustang features more premium materials, more comfortable seats, and more trunk space than the Camaro."

That's a one sentence comparison from a source most us never heard of. Who else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaMelt View Post
And has the new PP2 overheated at the track? Because last I checked it isn't even out yet. Let's let ford deliver first before we imagine races in our heads.
Well a halo Mustang with a $15k premium over the PP2 overheated on the track, over and over and over and over... and then the owners sued. So if Ford can't deliver with their halo car, can I hypothetically call them out on NOT having coolers in the PP2? I don't see why not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater View Post
I even like the Challenger scat pack w/ the 6.7L Hemi.
6.4L...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RWD View Post
You do realize that if you drove the GT350, and GT350 driver was driving your car, the outcomes could be completely different.....

And IMO GT PP2 will eclipse their halo car. Because that halo car is going bye bye and making room for GT500.
Two points here...

1. I have yet to see a reputable publication put a non-R GT350 against an SS 1LE. From those that track these cars the consensus has been, on a short track the Camaro hangs with the GT350 due to it's torque curve, chassis, and weight advantage. On a track with longer straights the GT350 pulls ahead with it's HP advantage.

2. Ford has already said the GT350 stays in production with the GT500 coming in.