Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-16-2021, 04:02 PM   #43
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
It's so sad and pathetic how grown ass men looking human get their panties soiled by the sheer mention of something that's not a V8, good thing there's testosterone treatments! Might help with the bald spots too.

Aint that the truth. The worst thing about the I4/V6 Camaro is the V8 Community.

The Camaro has had a non-V8 option for 40+ years.

Yet somehow 'iT sHouLD OnLy HAVe a V8!!!!111!!'
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:23 PM   #44
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malbjey View Post
Aint that the truth. The worst thing about the I4/V6 Camaro is the V8 Community.

The Camaro has had a non-V8 option for 40+ years.

Yet somehow 'iT sHouLD OnLy HAVe a V8!!!!111!!'

That's not all of us. Just the insecure ones. We don't like blanket generalizations anymore than you do.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #45
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus1zero View Post
I think it has more to do with the cars being built around V8 engines and then them throwing in sedan engines, and on top of that, said owners of the smaller engines acting like they're the fastest thing on the road that really give the crowd a bad name.

At least that's how it is with EB/v6 mustangs.
Remember that the economy of scale is the name of the game nowadays. Almost nothing is purposely built around something anymore unless we are talking about supercars.

Camaro uses the Alpha platform, which also was shared by ATS and CTS. ATS-V used a twin-turbo V6 and was capable in its own right. So no, Camaro(or Alpha platform) isn't built around a V8.

If you really want to get down to engine heritage, V8's are pickup truck engines. Laughing at family sedan engines with a pickup truck engine is pot calling the kettle black. Heck, some of those V6 and I4T engines are in pickup trucks as well.

As for the cocky non-V8 pony car owners, you can see the same thing happening with younger crowd in general, regardless of what car they drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef-j View Post
One of my friend actually sold his car and moved out from car hobby. He didnt like how people making fun of other people’s car and just didnt like how things became after FB car group pages took over good forums.

Most FB is joke. Nothing to learn. I was gone 2 yrs from Camaro forum and im happy that its still active, not like some other car that forum actually died because of FB.
Facebook car group will never replace forums IMO. Car forums have much more depth than Facebook groups. Searching real knowledge and respectful opinions are pretty much impossible on Facebook.

Funnily enough, even the younger crowds are moving away from Facebook to Instagram. I know the latter is owned by Facebook, but it's just funny that Facebook is considered to be an "old people thing" now. I don't use Facebook much anymore myself. It's mostly shenanigans I don't want any part in.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #46
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Thanks guys, I'm actively looking for both the 6 or 4 turbo, with a 4 turbo stick being the preference.
As for the non-v8 bashing, it's in every car community in different forms. I bought a 16 Z51 vette in 16. In the Corvette community, the Corvette wave is alive and well. Drove it for 3 years, never missed a wave. Sold my 1LE in 19, then sold my Z51 and bought a 19 Z06. Missing having 2 sports cars, I bought a 96 Corvette. It was my highschool dream car. Trouble is, it's unloved in the vette community. My wife and I would take it out on a Friday night cruise, and nothing, not a God damn acknowledgment that we even existed. Take the 19 Z06 out Saturday night and other vette owners falling over themselves to make sure we saw them waving. This isn't a one time event, it happened for 4 months. Sold the 96 after I got my jollies and bought another 5th gen Camaro, but the lesson was learned. The C4 is by far the cheapest vette of all Corvette generations to date. Never held value like others did. V6/4turbo are cheaper than the V8s. Hence there's a feeling of superiority "look at me, mine's better". Who cares really? No matter what I've ever owned or own today, I've never felt inferior or superior to anybody. I buy and drive what I enjoy, not what I think somebody may think I should enjoy. Never had a 6th gen Camaro, want one now, hence I'm here asking for your advice. Any of you want to know anything about vettes, ask away. That's what forums and car culture are about, not the trolls and keyboard warriors.
Old 06-16-2021, 05:56 PM   #47
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i tried a 2006 vette with 50,000 miles on it before buying the 2015 RS i still own.it was a nice car but not built for hauling 3 grandkids once in a while.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:59 PM   #48
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
i tried a 2006 vette with 50,000 miles on it before buying the 2015 RS i still own.it was a nice car but not built for hauling 3 grandkids once in a while.
Yes Sir, vettes and more than one grandchild don't mix.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #49
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I was considering a Shock Green 2.0T 1LE, that would have been pretty kickass.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #50
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Too bad you let your 5th Gen go but I totally get it. My only concern about the 4 is longevity. As cool as the technology is that small engine is still pulling a pretty big chunk 'o weight around but I guess the engineering "experts" took that into account. I definitely like the idea of the LGX V6 with a manual trans. THAT would be a fun DD and road trip car. Your big challenge is going to be availability but things will eventually change. And I'll give you credit, at least you didn't say you're waiting for an electric model!
Old 06-16-2021, 09:36 PM   #51
LT1Zob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Too bad you let your 5th Gen go but I totally get it. My only concern about the 4 is longevity. As cool as the technology is that small engine is still pulling a pretty big chunk 'o weight around but I guess the engineering "experts" took that into account. I definitely like the idea of the LGX V6 with a manual trans. THAT would be a fun DD and road trip car. Your big challenge is going to be availability but things will eventually change. And I'll give you credit, at least you didn't say you're waiting for an electric model!
No electric for me thanks. Prices are just nuts on everything now, but that also explains my very healthy profit on my 2010. Ran across a local car buddy that knows of an original owner, 24k mile 15 LT manual. The guy apparently wants a very reasonable price vs the insanity today. But a 4th 5th gen? "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"
Seriously though, I really want a 6th gen, so unless I can't pass up his price, I'll keep looking for a 6th gen
Old 06-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #52
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Zob View Post
Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of the comments. I’m in my mid 40s and worrying about what others think about my choice of engine is laughable to me. A few brought up the premium gas, which I didn’t consider, but obviously should have being a turbo. Not that it matters much really, but good point.
My fear was hearing “stay away, lots of issues”, from you guys who know the 6th gen well, but it sounds like the i4 is a good, fun car I can DD and take on trips.
I had a 2017 2.0T that I put 40k miles on in two years before COVID hit and it sat the next six months before I sold it. I drove it daily in all weather conditions, took a lot of trips (including an 8k mile DC->Vancouver, BC->DC round trip with a ton of stops, teenage daughter with me for the DC->Vancouver portion, and 2019 SCCA Solo Nationals along the way), and heavy national autocross use. The only issue I had was the windshield washer pump failed about a year in. Gas mileage around town was typically low 20s and low 30s on the road (high 30s when I could draft for long periods).

Fun car for a daily driver. Enough power to get out of its own way, but not so much power that you feel like you can't use it often enough. Balance is amazing and makes normal turns at normal speeds more engaging than they should be. Good MPG. Mine was very cheap to insure. Dead nuts reliable. Quiet and comfy inside.

The things I didn't like specific to the 2.0T vs the V8 (dunno about V6)...

Throttle tip in and initial response was dull and delayed. When starting on a hill, I'd have to floor it momentarily and then back off the throttle to get the revs up or else it would start moving too slowly and/or stumble and lurch.

The engine/exhaust is too quiet when you're on it. I had a buddy build me a custom catback that was basically some straight pipe and a little Borla and that helped a lot, but it was still pretty quiet.

The things that aren't so great for the Camaros as daily drivers no matter what engine, the long doors if you park in lots/garages with spaces on the small side. Backing out of those spaces when there are SUVs and minivans next to you.

If you don't need to regularly put people in the back seat, it's really, really good for a daily driver, IMO.

When I bought mine, I planned on keeping it no longer than a year, but when I came up on that mark, I decided to keep it another year (and then COVID extended that a little longer). I sold it to buy a 2SS 1LE primarily because V8 noises and being pretty sure that if I didn't scratch my daily driver V8 itch now, I probably never would since every daily driver after this will probably be electric.

I've owned a lot of cars and I am certain that the 2.0T will be my most fondly remembered or very close to it.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:31 AM   #53
LT1Zob

Thank you much
Old 06-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #54
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
You think that gen 5 with the boxy look, plastic interior and front end, and heavier and slower is better than the Gen 6 v8??
The 6th gen has improvements as it should. But since the 6th gen is a complete flop sales wise and could be the gen that puts the Camaro back on the shelf while the 5th gen is one of the most successful gens of all time..you tell me. And you thinking the classic muscle car look of the 5th gen is boxy tells me all I need to know. Unless you have a1le or zl1..the 6th gen SS blends in with alot of other cars. I like the 6th gen...but the 5th gen is a hardly a flop bud.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.

Last edited by Modernmusclecar; 06-28-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #55
LT1Zob

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. Looks like I’ll be getting my 5th gen #4 next week. The 6th just wasn’t in the cards for me this time.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #56
Modernmusclecar

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpskinzhut View Post
I've owned 2 5th gens. The styling is definitely NOT as good as it gets.
Unless you own a 6th gen 1le or zl1...the plain SS is not an upgrade at all in apparence over the 5th gen.
EPS CUSTOM GRIND CAM....K@N CAI....VMAX PTB.....FRANKENSTEIN STAGE 2 HEADS ...1 7/8 STAINLESS POWER CATTED LONGTUBE HEADERS...CORSA XTREME 3 INCH CATBACK.....CIRCLE D 3800 Pro Series stall...391 gears.....Ported/modded GPI intake .Forgestar drag pack with Mickey Thompson ET street drag radials AGP PERFORMANCE DYNO TUNED. 463 WHP 428 FTLBS TORQUE.
Modernmusclecar is offline   Reply With Quote