Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
My spot-free wash setup with references to all parts

I put together a spot-free rig and although I've only used it 3 times so far, it seems to work quite well. Some of the pieces like the foam cannon and stubby wand were on recommendations found here, so thanks for those.

The basic components of my system are an electric pressure washer, a resin based deionization system, a stubby wand and a foam cannon. There's a few other minor pieces needed to bring it all together. Most of the components you can get on Amazon and the links are at the end of this post. There's a few other misc pieces I picked up at the hardware store like a piece of flat steel, some 3/4" conduit clamps, and a garden hose Y valve.

Some may ask how many washes will I get out of such a small deionizer and the answer is I don't know. I do like using it because it mounts nicely on the pressure washer and makes the whole rig far more portable. You can read the reviews on Amazon as others are doing the same thing with it. You can either buy replacement cartridges or can buy the bags of resin and refill. The latter option makes it just as cheap as any other system, but you'll be refilling more often. If you are washing several vehicles several times per month, you might want a bigger system. I think this one will serve my needs quite well.

One thing I figured out right away is the stubby wand doesn't mount on the Sun Joe pressure washer hose either directly or with the quick disconnect. Although both use a M22 connection, most gas pressure washers are 14mm and many electrics are 15mm. So the adapter I found on ebay makes it work.

The Y valve on the output of the deionizer isn't necessary, but it's handy if you want to bypass the pressure washer and want deionized water to fill up buckets, or for a quick rinse.

I've tried 3 different shampoos and the one that works the best so far is the Chemical Guys one linked at the end. It makes high quality thick foam that really sticks to the vehicle well.

Electric pressure washer

Resin deionization system

Male garden hose adapter for deionization system

Female garden hose adapter for deionization system

High pressure quick connect

Three foot hose

Garden hose quick connects

Car wash shampoo

Stubby wand

M22 adapter to connect stubby wand (only needed for some electric power washers)

Foam canon

Last edited by dfwcowboy; 07-01-2018 at 01:22 PM.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
The deion system is much cheaper than any I have ever seen. I will be interested to hear how many washes you get per refill. It seems like $10+ per wash on consumer products is normal. A pro system costs more to setup but the per wash cost is much lower.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
The deion system is much cheaper than any I have ever seen. I will be interested to hear how many washes you get per refill. It seems like $10+ per wash on consumer products is normal. A pro system costs more to setup but the per wash cost is much lower.

I'm not sure how the cost per wash will be lower assuming the same resin is being used for both. X amount of resin will soften Y amount of water regardless of which system is used to drive the water through it. The difference will be how often you'll need to refill.

I have a TDS meter somewhere. I probably should start testing it before each wash.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
KirkH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
I'm not sure how the cost per wash will be lower assuming the same resin is being used for both. X amount of resin will soften Y amount of water regardless of which system is used to drive the water through it. The difference will be how often you'll need to refill.

I have a TDS meter somewhere. I probably should start testing it before each wash.
My pro system was $1000 for the can and light and $230 for resin refills. I havent had to change resin yet so i don't know the per wash cost but I think it will be $1-2.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Dragging out the power washer and dealing with the water line and electric. I decided to run a pvc water line and mount my unit to the wall. My unit had a wet reel so I added an extension hose and wrap it around the whole unit. See pics below.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
dfwcowboy

I added another 25' of high pressure hose so I don't have to move the rig after I set it up.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2638_200632638
Old 07-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
KirkH

Very impressed with BOTH of your setups!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
If you check out my thread you'll see that I got 7/8 washes out of my set up. Softened water into a On The Go mixed bed tank to the pressure washer (gas 3,800 psi). The tank takes 18#'s of resin. I have now reloaded the tank and changed methodology. I am doing the initial rinse, wash, soap rinse with the pressure washer with soft water only. Then a final rinse with soft water to the tank to garden hose with sprayer on the end. Did one wash worked great. Resin will obviously last for a lot more washes this way as the amount of water through the tank is greatly reduced.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 AM   #9
dfwcowboy

The cartridges I'm using is also a mixed bed system, but this is overkill for the application. All that's needed is the removal of calcium and magnesium and you can do that with a weak base ion exchange resin which should be cheaper than mixed bed. I'm researching cheaper alternatives.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
The cartridges I'm using is also a mixed bed system, but this is overkill for the application. All that's needed is the removal of calcium and magnesium and you can do that with a weak base ion exchange resin which should be cheaper than mixed bed. I'm researching cheaper alternatives.
I was thinking same thing. All in need to remove is the sodium from the soft water.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
dfwcowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbimmer View Post
I was thinking same thing. All in need to remove is the sodium from the soft water.

If nothing else you can buy the same resin used in the Spotless system which is widely available and should provide for a few refills at least in my system. I know you can get the stuff cheaper, especially if you go with a weak base resin only vs the mixed base resin. The trick will be getting the right size spheres for the flow rate.

As far as how many washes you will get, this will greatly depend on your water source. My local supply usually has a TDS of about 200, which is average.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #12
BAMF

Drives: The Tumbler
AAAAAAAAAANNNNNDDDDD subscribed. I live in an area with very hard water and have struggled with water spots before. The idea of just using the filtered water for the final rinse is very smart.

BAMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 PM   #13
KirkH

I wonder how much spot free water you can fill into buckets from the car wash? Then use one of those bucket pressure washers to rinse. For those not washing lots of cars.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I built similar system using 4 stage RODI filtration system. Double as water source for our marine reef aquarium. I fill a 2 gallon garden sprayer for post wash rinse. Definitely not enough volume to feed a pressure washer! 1.3 gpm x 60 x 24 = 1800+ gpd. But pump up garden sprayer and give car final rinse. When done, place RO cartridge in fridge to preserve it.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote