Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #421
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Any product that contains wax or a synthetic will cause water beading on paint.

Just because it beads up doesn't mean that it's protected against acidic things (bug splatter, bird bombs), or mineral deposits (calcium or lime from hard water, salt from roads). These things can cause etching in your clear coat.

The level of protection your LSP provides is far more important then how it beads up when wet.
Beads lead to water spots. Mike Phillips always says he does not understand why anyone wants beads of water on their paint.

Some of the newer LSP are specifically made for water spots, such as CarPro Gliss.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #422
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
A major advantage of the rinseless method is not needing to be near a hose. If there's access to a hose and you're worried about grit, hose off first, then do the rinseless. It'll still save the time of not rinsing at the end and you still have the advantage of a very light touch vs. a conventional scrub - best of both worlds. (See Glen, someone here DID try to convince him.)
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 AM   #423
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I thought about going rinseless, but still have some doubts. I'd have to inspect a car up close before I trust it.

I think if I lived in an apartment, I'd be more willing to take a chance.

So far, I'm enjoying my Sat. morning two-bucket wash workout. Who knows, that might change in the future.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #424
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
If done right with the right MF towel, the chances are slim. You are never going to eliminate all potentials for scratches, just a fact of life. The few scratches that I get are not even noticeable, except to me in certain lighting conditions, and they come out real easy when I strip and polish the car once a year.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #425
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
I have a house with a hose and a driveway, so if I have to wash it, I'll do it the old fashioned way but with two buckets. Lol

IF I have to wash it. I only drive it when it is dry and sunny. At most it may get some dust or pollen on it. I'll just dust it off with a California car duster then an occasional wipe down with diluted rinseless instead of spray detailer since the rinsless actually lifts any particles away.
Cgocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:27 PM   #426
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Rinseless has gotten me through the winter better than I ever have. Any potential scratches are much less of an issue than the abuse the car wash did.

Everytime it rained I washed with rinseless and the cars look great. Carwashs are out
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #427
kodiakk

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Ok guys, here ya go. I live in northern Canada and my biggest problem is bug smash staining the clear coat. I desperately need help on how to get this off. Have tried lots but not working. HELP
kodiakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #428
Stig eh

Drives: 2017 SS 50th Jan 17 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakk View Post
Ok guys, here ya go. I live in northern Canada and my biggest problem is bug smash staining the clear coat. I desperately need help on how to get this off. Have tried lots but not working. HELP
Auto obsessed has some really great bug remover spray on for 30 seconds a few of us Corvette guys just discovered this, I might get the name of it later it was on sale for about 30 bucks Canuck and the wife liked it for her Mustang

Stig eh

https://www.autoobsessed.com/product...-remover-500ml

Last edited by Stig eh; 08-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Stig eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:19 PM   #429
Speak99

Drives: Camaro 2020 2SS VERT
Hi Glen, i almost spent all day reading your posts, my question: how would you incorporate washing your fabric top in your rinse less wash?
Speak99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #430
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speak99 View Post
Hi Glen, i almost spent all day reading your posts, my question: how would you incorporate washing your fabric top in your rinse less wash?
Ive done plenty of ONR rinse less washes on my dads 2020 Mustang GT. Same exact process as a car that isn't a convertible. You're just wiping the convertible top and cleans it nicely. I've had no issues at all and top comes out looking fantastic!
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #431
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgocifer View Post
I've read all the articles, threads, and watched the videos. I still don't trust it. If there is any grit or dust on the paint, I just don't see how plopping some wet towels on there and wiping won't rub swirls and scratches onto the paint. Even that guy with his method and juice says he doesn't care about swirls too much.

I do.
I agree. I have never and will never use a rinseless wash. There is simply no ounce of my belief that says a rinseless wash is fine and will not harm the car in some way or another. A quick (spot) wipe with a detail spray is fine, but this rinseless wash is
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #432
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I agree. I have never and will never use a rinseless wash. There is simply no ounce of my belief that says a rinseless wash is fine and will not harm the car in some way or another. A quick (spot) wipe with a detail spray is fine, but this rinseless wash is
OnR is amazing stuff and science behind it. I've been using it since 2016 and haven't looked back. Zero issues with swirls/scratches.

I'm more worried using car soap and water Lol.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #433
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgenSix View Post
OnR is amazing stuff and science behind it. I've been using it since 2016 and haven't looked back. Zero issues with swirls/scratches.

I'm more worried using car soap and water Lol.

Do you have any photos of your paint, in the sun, etc.? I would love to be proved wrong, but I just can't believe it . I would also assume that we all have different levels of "dirty" for our cars? For example, it looks like you are in Cali... which has many areas of concrete playgrounds. I know in the cities, from what I've seen, the vehicles don't seem to get the same level of dirty as what I see around home.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #434
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Blanket statements can be ..... well.... not good for your car's paint, if you don't understand that different cities have different weather patterns, that can cause you to increase your workload, if you just blindly follow someone's internet post.

When someone thinks soap & water can damage your car's paint, while rinseless washes won't, well.... I dunno what to think.
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote