Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #43
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe603 View Post
What about a GT500?
your original post you mentioned next car will be a manual...everyone i see driving the 500 says something to the effect of "the dct is sooo good i just put it in D and go" ...then i cringe
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:40 AM   #44
Joe603

Drives: 2016 Dodge Charger SCAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
your original post you mentioned next car will be a manual...everyone i see driving the 500 says something to the effect of "the dct is sooo good i just put it in D and go" ...then i cringe
Wait...so the new GT500 is DCT!? No manual option? Overlooked that detail...Well, that's out!
Joe603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:06 PM   #45
jvandy50

Quote:
Wait...so the new GT500 is DCT!? No manual option? Overlooked that detail...Well, that's out!
lol yep...i was disappointed also. i'm still going to try to get some seat time in one when xtreme xperience comes back around. but i have a feeling it wont be as fun...just guessing though. i love the M6 in the zl1
Old 07-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #46
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
I get the whole manual thing, but DCT's are pretty amazing. I have had 2 cars with them now, the M3 and the Audi S4.

After being in one for a while and getting back into a manual, it feels like you are going back in the Stone Age.

I don't think of a DCT as a auto, I think of it as a clutchless manual, which it is. You can manually control it as you would a manual and the shifts are so crisp, quick, and tight. It's an amazing feeling.

My dream car is a GT3 RS with the PDK, pure SEX

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:44 PM   #47
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
The 10 speed is so good I just put it in track mode and mash the throttle, f the paddles, just more of a distraction watching a tach

GT3 RS is great but would be a waste on the street and how many people are going to drop $150k on a car, I would rather invest that money
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:49 PM   #48
passwords

Drives: 2019 ZLE, 2019 GT350R
I will say the positives posted here are not wrong (but many of the negatives about the Gt350 are-except jvandy59, he has a legitimate history that I pray I don’t experience with my R). The HUD is just amazing, rev match is amazing, the torque is amazing. And yes, the ZLE will leave the GT350R in the rear view mirror, even on my local (and almost any) road course.

Like I said before, you will be lucky to have either car, but it sounds like you have your mind made up on the ZL1. And that is a solid decision. I hope you get the car you want, and I hope you have a metric shit-ton of fun in it when you get it. Keep us all posted because we all love when a fellow enthusiast is able to get one of these cars.

Regarding the DCT in the GT500 (and the p-cars), I don’t hate the idea, and my analytical side tells me it’s better. I just have a hard time switching my brain to the idea of not having that third pedal. I will be at Track Attack in Charlotte in a little under 2 weeks and part of the day will include heel-toe exercises. Every time I get into my ZLE I think how antiquated it is to have to heel-toe while braking. And then I think about moving the clutch pedal and shifter myself and I want to punch myself in the face. I should realize the DCT is better, but I refuse to in my stubborn old age. Put me in the 3-pedal crowd, but I may have to defect at some point out of necessity.
passwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #49
SCCAForums

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro, Ford Mustang
Having recently owned the 2018 GT3 6spd Manual, and then the 2019 GT3RS... I can tell you, while the RS was quicker on the road course... the 6spd car was so much more fun to drive on the street and on the track.

If they would bring back an RS 6spd car... I might have to sell a couple toys and be back in a Porsche!

Unfortunately, for me, the 350R wasn't near as fun to drive on the street... no torque, relatively speaking.

For now, loving the ZL1 and don't believe there is a better dual purpose car for the money.

Best regards,
Dave
Old 07-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #50
jvandy50

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwords View Post
I will say the positives posted here are not wrong (but many of the negatives about the Gt350 are-except jvandy59, he has a legitimate history that I pray I don’t experience with my R). The HUD is just amazing, rev match is amazing, the torque is amazing. And yes, the ZLE will leave the GT350R in the rear view mirror, even on my local (and almost any) road course.

Like I said before, you will be lucky to have either car, but it sounds like you have your mind made up on the ZL1. And that is a solid decision. I hope you get the car you want, and I hope you have a metric shit-ton of fun in it when you get it. Keep us all posted because we all love when a fellow enthusiast is able to get one of these cars.

Regarding the DCT in the GT500 (and the p-cars), I don’t hate the idea, and my analytical side tells me it’s better. I just have a hard time switching my brain to the idea of not having that third pedal. I will be at Track Attack in Charlotte in a little under 2 weeks and part of the day will include heel-toe exercises. Every time I get into my ZLE I think how antiquated it is to have to heel-toe while braking. And then I think about moving the clutch pedal and shifter myself and I want to punch myself in the face. I should realize the DCT is better, but I refuse to in my stubborn old age. Put me in the 3-pedal crowd, but I may have to defect at some point out of necessity.
I do admit to cheating and using the Rev match feature on the ZLE, something ya can't do on the 350...so who knows, maybe I'll cheat on the clutch pedal next and enjoy the dct lol.

You will love track attack, while I haven't been to the one in Charlotte I did goto Utah, and it was a blast. Really respected what they built after that, and understood the car more...just got a bad one. Enjoy man!
Old 07-25-2020, 01:44 AM   #51
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I've had a few good DCT cars, and I loved them all. I also love shifting/clutching in my M6 ZLE. The feeling of a good DCT snapping through gears with a solid thunk like a quick clutch drop, can be very satisfying. Also the act of pulling the paddles, especially when they're mounted on the steering column and not the wheel, is enjoyable. I can't see myself enjoying just putting it in D on track, other DCT cars I drove were technically faster in D but it wasn't as enjoyable. It wouldn't feel right in a Porsche, McLaren or Ferrari, why would it feel right in a ZL1? From what I've heard you have to put it in D on track, because there are just too many gears to shift through effectively at that level of intense driving.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #52
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
I do a fair amount of AutoX with tight turns and technical elements. I have the none LE ZL1 and I am typically at least 1 second faster the the 350’s on a 70 second course. Unscientific, I know but the ZL1 does seem faster in real life, not just on the spec sheet for what that’s worth. And while faster 0-60 is fun, better agility is more fun.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #53
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
I've had a few good DCT cars, and I loved them all. I also love shifting/clutching in my M6 ZLE. The feeling of a good DCT snapping through gears with a solid thunk like a quick clutch drop, can be very satisfying. Also the act of pulling the paddles, especially when they're mounted on the steering column and not the wheel, is enjoyable. I can't see myself enjoying just putting it in D on track, other DCT cars I drove were technically faster in D but it wasn't as enjoyable. It wouldn't feel right in a Porsche, McLaren or Ferrari, why would it feel right in a ZL1? From what I've heard you have to put it in D on track, because there are just too many gears to shift through effectively at that level of intense driving.
Not to mention some incidents of the A10 Overheating on the track. The ZL1 M6 has computer aided No Lift Shift programming. I track my car and I’ve never been passed on the track because of “shift lag” or because the other car was an auto. If you haven’t played with the no lift shift you should give it a try. It’s pretty amazing.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 12:05 PM   #54
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevezx900 View Post
There is a YouTuber with a GT350R twin turbo making 1000 hp to the wheels. But only around 750 torque. Don’t know if the motor can handle that power for long but it is very interesting.
Unless you are rebuilding the entire motor from bottom end up, running higher boost on an engine that wasn't designed for it is a recipe for disaster in my book. Let's take an already unreliable engine and ramp up the stress even more. No thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
I track my car and I’ve never been passed on the track because of “shift lag” or because the other car was an auto. If you haven’t played with the no lift shift you should give it a try. It’s pretty amazing.
Wish someone would come out with an ultra short throw dog box, something you can really HAMMER. Most synchro based transmissions just don't cut it. The clutch throw in the Camaro is also a little long
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:17 PM   #55
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
ZL1. I have a friend at Ford and I used to work there too. A special low production car shouldn't have hardly any issues IMO. The GT's have tons of engine issues. The ZL1 is also to extract some substantial gains with bolt ons and a tune. It has a fantastic chassis and is all around a fast car. The GT350 might have a more liveable interior and cool sounding engine, but that's about it for me. For some reason, they hold their value too.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #56
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Buddy of mine was an early GT350 adopter, put a deposit down...special ordered the car...paid over MSRP....the whole deal. Boy did all of that end up down the shitter! Car was horrific with oil consumption, he wound up selling it an loosing his ass. They DO not hold their value better than anything else, at least the non-R models.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote