Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-14-2023, 10:16 AM   #1
Nataphen

Drives: None
Stock Spec LT4 Cam for DOD Delete and Fuel Lobe

I know “while you’re in there, put a big cam in it” is the general mindset. Not interested in that though. All I want is a cam that works with non-DOD lifters and has a larger fuel pump lobe. If my engine ever has to come apart for oil pump or lifters, I’d like to change the cam for those reasons only. No need for more power, and I just want it to behave and tune exactly as the stock cam would in VVT, VE, etc. The ramp rate has to change for non-DOD lifters as I understand it, but I’m sure a cam company can build it to act very close to stock if not perfectly. I see that BTR has offered a stock spec LT1 cam package like this, but I can’t find one for LT4 specifically. Thanks for any help.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 01:46 PM   #2
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataphen View Post
I know “while you’re in there, put a big cam in it” is the general mindset. Not interested in that though. All I want is a cam that works with non-DOD lifters and has a larger fuel pump lobe. If my engine ever has to come apart for oil pump or lifters, I’d like to change the cam for those reasons only. No need for more power, and I just want it to behave and tune exactly as the stock cam would in VVT, VE, etc. The ramp rate has to change for non-DOD lifters as I understand it, but I’m sure a cam company can build it to act very close to stock if not perfectly. I see that BTR has offered a stock spec LT1 cam package like this, but I can’t find one for LT4 specifically. Thanks for any help.
You're going to be hard pressed to find an LT4 cam with fuel lobe and DOD delete unless you request that they do a custom grind for you. I run the LT1/5 cam version that BTR makes and honestly, it's awesome over the LT4 cam and makes more power. The tune would have to be modified to make the most of it, yes, but outside of that if you are not looking for absolute optimization you could easily get away with running the OE tune on it. Again, I prefer to see someone tune it to make the absolute most of it, but that's my experience.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 02:33 PM   #3
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Yeah, I think that LT1/5 cam is the way to go if you want stock with more fuel and no lifter failure points. I imagine it would be fine on the stock tune, too. It's not that much bigger than the LT4, relatively speaking.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 04:21 PM   #4
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Yeah, I think that LT1/5 cam is the way to go if you want stock with more fuel and no lifter failure points. I imagine it would be fine on the stock tune, too. It's not that much bigger than the LT4, relatively speaking.
It's a great alternative to the DOD hardware equipped LT4 cam for sure and can make some more power over the LT4 cam when fine tuned.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that the power curve of the LT1/5 cam changes compared to the LT4 one and doesn't drop off as hard as the LT4 cam. It's definitely more stable and has more usable power throughout.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-15-2023, 09:09 AM   #5
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
i would call someone like GPI and pick their brains, and their stage 1 might fit your needs without any custom stuff, who knows. their stage 2 definitely will have the sound you seem to be avoiding and the stage 3 is def out of the question.

i'll be honest though, i think you'd love the power and beautiful noise these things make...
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 10:10 AM   #6
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
BTR big fuel LT1/86 cam is your only option outside of having a company such as Cammotion custom spec you something. The BTR also gives you a bigger fuel lobe which will increase your fuel system headroom in the event you want to switch to Ethanol fuel and or up the boost. Fueling on these engines is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

There will always be some sort of compromises with a bigger cam. Even the stage 1 stuff while they drive 90% like stock, still behave differently. Also they normally require a heavier valve spring, so you will be changing valve springs every 25-50k miles depending on the setup and usage. If you only drive the car 3k miles a year, likely not an issue. If it's a daily, then it's something to consider.

Some folks can tolerate a shaking and bucking stage 3 and claim it behaves like stock, others would think it sucks. Personally stage 1 is as large as I would go on a stock converter street car.

Keep in mind the power difference between a stage 1 and 3 cam is about 1 psi of boost. Drop 1 pulley size and you now make stage 3 cam power without taking the hit in drivability.

Also, we need to keep what I said above in perspective. I am just referencing your average enthusiast's streetcar build. Obviously in specific applications larger cams have their place.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
ZLRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
BTR big fuel LT1/86 cam is your only option outside of having a company such as Cammotion custom spec you something. The BTR also gives you a bigger fuel lobe which will increase your fuel system headroom in the event you want to switch to Ethanol fuel and or up the boost. Fueling on these engines is the biggest hurdle to overcome.

There will always be some sort of compromises with a bigger cam. Even the stage 1 stuff while they drive 90% like stock, still behave differently. Also they normally require a heavier valve spring, so you will be changing valve springs every 25-50k miles depending on the setup and usage. If you only drive the car 3k miles a year, likely not an issue. If it's a daily, then it's something to consider.

Some folks can tolerate a shaking and bucking stage 3 and claim it behaves like stock, others would think it sucks. Personally stage 1 is as large as I would go on a stock converter street car.

Keep in mind the power difference between a stage 1 and 3 cam is about 1 psi of boost. Drop 1 pulley size and you now make stage 3 cam power without taking the hit in drivability.

Also, we need to keep what I said above in perspective. I am just referencing your average enthusiast's streetcar build. Obviously in specific applications larger cams have their place.
All of this right here. An NSR cam is awesome because A. It gives you less to have to do during the build and B. Is not as hard on the valvetrain in terms of having to replace springs sooner. Keeps longevity in mind and C. It does not cause you issues with the rocker arm geometry like a higher rate valve spring causes (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly, GM did not correct the geometry issues that the LS engines had with the newer gen LT engines either).
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #8
Nataphen

I love the sound of a lopey cam for about three days, then I’m over it. I’ve just gotten to the point that I prefer smooth idle, stock valvetrain reliability, and minimal to no exhaust smell. E85 helps with the latter which is the reason I’d like the fuel lobe upgrade. My car is a manual, so the surge with a stock converter isn’t a concern. Just have turned into an old man and suck these days. Thanks for all the info. I’ll probably see what I can do about getting a custom stock spec made with a +38% fuel lobe.
Old 10-15-2023, 03:46 PM   #9
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
I love the sound of a lopey cam for about three days, then I’m over it. I’ve just gotten to the point that I prefer smooth idle, stock valvetrain reliability, and minimal to no exhaust smell. E85 helps with the latter which is the reason I’d like the fuel lobe upgrade. My car is a manual, so the surge with a stock converter isn’t a concern. Just have turned into an old man and suck these days. Thanks for all the info. I’ll probably see what I can do about getting a custom stock spec made with a +38% fuel lobe.
lol i also understand this POV, i'm just not quite there yet. i don't figure we have much more time to own stuff like this and i just had to.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 03:57 PM   #10
ZLRob

Quote:
I "ghost cammed" my car, so it sounds great and has a little lope but it maintains pretty much all the stock drivability. The cool thing is I can reset it to full stock settings and get my full smooth idle right back.

Mines a 32% lobe on the high, I use a JMS on the low and still handles full E85 with a 12% pulley. If you maintain the stock pulley it DEFINITELY will handle full E85 and then some with the setup.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-15-2023, 04:55 PM   #11
Nataphen

I have the Katech drop in dual pump for the low side for when I get there. Bolt-ons, ported blower on stock pulley ratio, and flex fuel are the only plans for me. The car is already great IMO, so another 100-150hp will be more than enough to keep me entertained. I’m going to stockpile my parts and ride the warranty out in the meantime because I’m already enjoying it every time I take it out.

I wanted to grab a manual muscle car before they weren’t an option anymore, so I jumped on this ‘23 while I could. I’m not one of the EV haters, I love tech and the torque of EVs also, I’m just a car fan in general. I’m sure that one day I’ll have a quick EV parked next to my dinosaur burner, enjoying both of their unique advantages and characteristics.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:57 PM   #12
ZLRob

Quote:
I have the Katech drop in dual pump for the low side for when I get there. Bolt-ons, ported blower on stock pulley ratio, and flex fuel are the only plans for me. The car is already great IMO, so another 100-150hp will be more than enough to keep me entertained. I’m going to stockpile my parts and ride the warranty out in the meantime because I’m already enjoying it every time I take it out.

I wanted to grab a manual muscle car before they weren’t an option anymore, so I jumped on this ‘23 while I could. I’m not one of the EV haters, I love tech and the torque of EVs also, I’m just a car fan in general. I’m sure that one day I’ll have a quick EV parked next to my dinosaur burner, enjoying both of their unique advantages and characteristics.
Oh yeah then a 30%+ lobe for the high side given your low side stuff that you already have will be absolutely more then plenty for your car for fueling and to be able to handle your ported blower.
737 HP/ 779 TQ