Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ry View Post
Oo, also.. any idea typically when i'd need to look into fixing up my brakes/mag ride as a normal driver who doesn't drive the car toooo hard and doesn't track? Around what mile range and how much would the costs be? If you'd know! Ty.
There is a good thread on here asking 1LE owners what mileage they are at. I think that may be a good thread to start asking some of the higher mileage owners. My M3 had magride, and I think some people had to replace at 30K, while others double that.

I would not think it is near that often with the 6th Gen cars, but only time will tell. These are the sorts of things I worry about. All this great tech has to break sometime lol, what will it cost out of warranty?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #16
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
LOL, after owning an M3 I have a completely different view of ownership costs.

The Camaro is a very affordable V8 sports car to own and maintain. Costs above a 'normal' car would be incremental as Laststandard pointed out. More oil, more tire, more brakes. You would pay for these things on any car, just a slight uptick for performance versions of those things.

Well worth it for the joy of driving a V8 I think, and likely lower than you fear.
This was comforting to read. Before I got the Camaro, I was leaning towards an F80 M3 lol. Thanks for the insight!
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #17
greg0ry

Quote:
There is a good thread on here asking 1LE owners what mileage they are at. I think that may be a good thread to start asking some of the higher mileage owners. My M3 had magride, and I think some people had to replace at 30K, while others double that.

I would not think it is near that often with the 6th Gen cars, but only time will tell. These are the sorts of things I worry about. All this great tech has to break sometime lol, what will it cost out of warranty?
Okay, I found that thread. Thank you & yup... lol
Old 10-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #18
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Honestly, I got my SS 1LE vs a turbo because I was shocked at how affordable it is for what it is, and price wasn't much more vs a custom ordered turbo 1LE.

Running this kind of car used to cost an arm and a leg, heck I remember spending big $ on 205/55/16s back in the early 90's on my Eagle Talon TSi. And big brembos used to cost a FORTUNE, thousands of $, and thousands more to replace parts.

Now I just got a new set of tires for $730 on tire rack, powerstop brake pads are super cheap and a fine choice for street driving (not for track though). Front rotors are still fairly expensive, but that's really the only part of the car that isn't relatively affordable, at least for what it is.

And compared to German cars, it's very affordable. I think it'a amazing to get a car like the Camaro SS 1LE for under $50k, and not have to pay big$ to run it either. Also, I'm averaging 20 mpg in a near 500 hp car, that's awesome. An old-school carburated motor with a big cam making similar power may never see 10 mpg. Many years ago I built a supercharged big-block near trying to keep it "economical" with a small cam and "only" 550 hp, still got 10 mpg everywhere.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #19
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

BMW uses a proprietary system and not the BWI system. These cars use BWI's Delphi-Developed MagneRide system:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MagneRide

You can't really compare the two because of the induction methods etc.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #20
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
My 1LE has no more cost to maintain than my wifes Colorado. Except.... Tires, Tires are not cheap on these compared to say a Prius. I'm sure when its time to replace those six piston rotors and brakes, there might be some added cost there. However, currently... Cost of ownership has been very very affordable (other than gas, I keep my foot in it, I burn through gas!)

I do not track my car. If that helps.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #21
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cldgin2 View Post
My 1LE has no more cost to maintain than my wifes Colorado. Except.... Tires, Tires are not cheap on these compared to say a Prius. I'm sure when its time to replace those six piston rotors and brakes, there might be some added cost there. However, currently... Cost of ownership has been very very affordable (other than gas, I keep my foot in it, I burn through gas!)

I do not track my car. If that helps.
It helps a lot, thank you! Gas is a given, haha. Damn tires though lol. I'm looking into some all seasons with good tread life and decent performance cuz I like to hit the canyons a bit.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:48 AM   #22
greg0ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Honestly, I got my SS 1LE vs a turbo because I was shocked at how affordable it is for what it is, and price wasn't much more vs a custom ordered turbo 1LE.

Running this kind of car used to cost an arm and a leg, heck I remember spending big $ on 205/55/16s back in the early 90's on my Eagle Talon TSi. And big brembos used to cost a FORTUNE, thousands of $, and thousands more to replace parts.

Now I just got a new set of tires for $730 on tire rack, powerstop brake pads are super cheap and a fine choice for street driving (not for track though). Front rotors are still fairly expensive, but that's really the only part of the car that isn't relatively affordable, at least for what it is.

And compared to German cars, it's very affordable. I think it'a amazing to get a car like the Camaro SS 1LE for under $50k, and not have to pay big$ to run it either. Also, I'm averaging 20 mpg in a near 500 hp car, that's awesome. An old-school carburated motor with a big cam making similar power may never see 10 mpg. Many years ago I built a supercharged big-block near trying to keep it "economical" with a small cam and "only" 550 hp, still got 10 mpg everywhere.

Thanks for the insight! Hey, what kind of tires did you get and what size?? the $730 ones.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:39 PM   #23
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg0ry View Post
Thanks for the insight! Hey, what kind of tires did you get and what size?? the $730 ones.
That was a 2015 production inventory closeout for the factory Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 on tirerack. They're sold out of the rear tires but you can still order the front ones for ~$187 apiece. Just got a pair last week.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:12 PM   #24
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
It will be minimal and remember the depreciation hit is way worse, that is throwing money away. I never understood the people who sold perfectly good paid off Tahoe's when gas peaked in 2007/8, and bought a new V6 suv justifying it with gas mileage. Think total cost of ownership. Maybe a bit more for tires, but they are not that badly priced... Enjoy it and in the long run you bank account will be happier too. NeverDie was spot on...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #25
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Tires are the only expensive issue with these cars. If you track it, you'll rip through them and possibly brakes. If you don't track it, brakes should be fine for quite some time. The oil change cost me $50 for the oil, my dealer charges me $5 for the AC Delco filter and $14 in labor to change it. Hard to beat that. If you expect 20-30,000 miles out of tires you'll be upset.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #26
greg0ry

Thank you everyone, for all the awesome info. I learned that the expenses come quick and more only if one tracks the car and such, which i don't (for now). I'm def keeping the car. So in love with it. I don't mind the gas, I knew what I was in for in regards to that, haha. Tires I can deal with too! Thank youuuuu!
Old 10-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #27
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_junkie View Post
That was a 2015 production inventory closeout for the factory Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 on tirerack. They're sold out of the rear tires but you can still order the front ones for ~$187 apiece. Just got a pair last week.
Yup, the tires most got were late 2016 production though.

They have been going on and off sale for along time now, so rears might be back at some point.

Also, if you're a USAA member you can get a set for about $925 installed at your local Goodyear tire shop, you pay through the USAA website. Only $100 or so more vs the discounted Tire Rack tires. You have to buy them installed though.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #28
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
^ Thanks for that USAA reminder. I wish they did something for non 1LE owners, but then again I wouldn't want those terrible Goodyear runflats that mine came with ever again.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote