Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 06-29-2021, 06:43 AM   #155
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
they could've put the engine in the moon rover first and it would still be a truck engine. even the ls family has distinctive truck heads and cams that never appeared in cars. lots of low end tq, low rpm ceiling and no past peak power is not a "high performance" car engine. it is historically a recipe found in truck and van stuff.

the term "truck motor" goes far beyond the lt and ls families. it extends to all makes that followed the same model for a truck engine. it's not news.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:35 AM   #156
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
they could've put the engine in the moon rover first and it would still be a truck engine. even the ls family has distinctive truck heads and cams that never appeared in cars. lots of low end tq, low rpm ceiling and no past peak power is not a "high performance" car engine. it is historically a recipe found in truck and van stuff.

the term "truck motor" goes far beyond the lt and ls families. it extends to all makes that followed the same model for a truck engine. it's not news.
I'm not seeing how any of this is a bad thing or anything to criticize GM for. I'm not saying that you're criticizing GM. I'm saying that somehow the Ford trolls came here with what they thought was some bombshell info. I couldn't care less if the LT4 or LT1 is the exact same as a truck engine or if it literally is a truck engine. That thing is effing awesome and is arguably one of the best powerplants among modern vehicles and has the best bang for the buck and kept production costs to a minimum and powers vehicles that are utterly destroying anything Ford can come up with regardless of how many years, renditions, PP versions (PP1, PP2, PP2.5, PP7.12), CF wheels, or any other gimmicks they have. LOL!! Truck engine all the way!!

BTW, my truck engine in my ZL1 is being transported to the shop next week for the stage 4 package to be installed!! And when all is said and done I'll be looking to eat up some GT500s!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:45 AM   #157
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

Very interesting, I also noticed that the lap time of the Corvette C8 Z51 at LS per MT's Best driver's car performed by Randy Pobst is slower than the one previously posted by the 2017 Camaro SS1LE. That's amazing for the 6th gen Camaro
Corvette C8 Z51: 1:37.83
Camaro SS1LE: 1:37.77
Both of them on Summer street tires

The SS1LE can lap faster than the C8 Z51 but it wouldn't be faster than the also N.A. C7 Grand Sport.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #158
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

Here I share you some great videos that I was able to find of a Shelby GT350 VS a 6th gen Camaro SS1LE.

Seems that on long straights the Shelby gets away but the Camaro SS1LE is always able to catch up on the curves.

https://youtu.be/oS_IExYTrXA
https://youtu.be/bzHYD7GOMho
https://youtu.be/wku_FA69Kmk
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #159
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post

This truck engine has
  • Direct injection, 2000 psi fuel system
  • Variable valve timing
  • Domed 11.5:1 aluminum pistons with a scooped pre-chamber area to ”enhance initial combustion”.
  • Forged connecting rods
  • Forged steel crankshaft
  • 6-cross-bolted main caps
  • Oil-spray piston cooling
  • Equal length exhaust manifold runners
It's advanced, economical and has a better powerband for street applications. Pony/Muscle/Track cars. Camaro dominates track

I'm always struck by Coyote / Voodoo reviews that extol their high rpm capability. They are weak at the bottom. Take the Coyote power curve, shift it to the left 1500 rpm and lay it over the LT1.

LT1 hits the rev limit sooner but is also alive sooner. You have to work to keep the Coyote in its powerband.

The LTI "available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere)"

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 06-29-2021 at 10:39 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #160
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
1st SBC went into the Vette and Bel Air

https://www.motortrend.com/news/smal...ugh-the-years/
Old 06-29-2021, 11:59 AM   #161
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
And my lips never moved.
See I pay attention to those little bits of info as they trickle out lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #162
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If the LS and LT are truck motors, so are the Mod and Coyotes. 2 valve, 3 valve, 4 valve, 4.6, 5.4 and 5.0 all appeared in trucks or SUVs. It wasn’t until recently did those engines rev any higher than their LS counterparts.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #163
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
oh i agree the LT1 is the best na v8 available, hands down. i'm not crazy about DI and boosted motors as i am not a fan of gasoline or spraying meth.

i do a lot of chimping around on weekends with other cars. you guys can say what you want about the coyote motor being weak and soft down low. the cars still perform.

i can't honestly say the mach 1 was aimed directly at the 1LE. idk what they're doing with the car. it appears to be more of a vanity move than anything. it doesn't fit anywhere given the price:equipment.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #164
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
This truck engine has
  • Direct injection, 2000 psi fuel system
  • Variable valve timing
  • Domed 11.5:1 aluminum pistons with a scooped pre-chamber area to ”enhance initial combustion”.
  • Forged connecting rods
  • Forged steel crankshaft
  • 6-cross-bolted main caps
  • Oil-spray piston cooling
  • Equal length exhaust manifold runners
It's advanced, economical and has a better powerband for street applications. Pony/Muscle/Track cars. Camaro dominates track

I'm always struck by Coyote / Voodoo reviews that extol their high rpm capability. They are weak at the bottom. Take the Coyote power curve, shift it to the left 1500 rpm and lay it over the LT1.

LT1 hits the rev limit sooner but is also alive sooner. You have to work to keep the Coyote in its powerband.

The LTI "available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere)"
The LT1 is a very good engine, obviously, with modern tech. The Gen 3 Coyote is also a very good engine and pretty strong across the midrange up to 7500 rpm. The power band is surprisingly wide - I'd say from 3500 to 7500 rpm. Especially 4k and above.

High rpm is a hallmark of exotic engines. Think Lamborghini, Ferrari, and up to the extreme like Indy cars, F1, etc. A Coyote approaching 7500 rpm sounds pretty great, and is fun to take up there. It was also kind of cool to know that at 5000 rpm I was only 2/3 of the way to redline.

The Gen 3 Coyote has much more midrange torque than earlier Coyotes. With the A10 and 3.55s it was quite fun.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:29 AM   #165
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
It's a truck engine! It's a truck engine! It's a truck engine!

What does that even mean? How does that enter into any objective evaluation of a power plant? If it's got a great power band, with good power and torque, with a lot of tech, I wouldn't care if they put it in the Oscar Mayer hot dog vehicle.

I certainly enjoy revving out a motor to 7,500 rpm, but I still believe, from the old days, that revs for torque is no bargain on the street,
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #166
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
It's a truck engine! It's a truck engine! It's a truck engine!

What does that even mean?
Absolutely nothing.
Quote:
How does that enter into any objective evaluation of a power plant?
It's a very logical and realistic argument for those who were on the losing side and getting their tails kicked for years and having to pay more money for slower cars with less options that even when you upgrade by 2-3 tiers still could at best just barely beat the lower tiered competition.

Quote:
If it's got a great power band, with good power and torque, with a lot of tech, I wouldn't care if they put it in the Oscar Mayer hot dog vehicle.
The competition prefers engines that drink a quart of oil and catch on fire...anything as long as they think it isn't a "truck" engine.
Quote:
I certainly enjoy revving out a motor to 7,500 rpm, but I still believe, from the old days, that revs for torque is no bargain on the street,
Well most people with common sense agree with you. But we're not up against people with common sense. We're up against people who paid $5K-$15K extra for the GT350, got toasted by the SLE, paid $15K extra for a GT350R just to match the SLE, paid $10K+ extra for the GT500 and are getting beat by the ZL1, then paid who knows how much extra for the CF version just to still get their asses kicked by cheap, less powerful "truck" engines.

Imagine what GM could do if they made actual performance engines instead of "truck" engines.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:53 PM   #167
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
….
Imagine what GM could do if they made actual performance engines instead of "truck" engines.
That just needed repeating.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #168
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, comparison, mach 1, performance, price