Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #15
cam765

Drives: 2019 SS
I am not convinced that the pretensioner deployment has anything to do with this with regards to a software issue, although it is possible the deployment did some damage to the underside of the seat. It is tempting to assume a poor connection from removing and installing the seats. It may be worthwhile to check the large under seat connector for any bent pins in the male side of the connector.

I checked the repair manual, and here is how the seat HVAC system works: "The driver and passenger heated and vented seat switches are located near the HVAC controls on the center stack. The BCM is the heated and vented seat system master. It monitors heated/vented seat switch activations to determine user requested operating mode. Based on the requested operating mode, the BCM sends a LIN Bus serial data message to the front seat heating control module how to drive the self-regulated heating pads or ventilation motors. The BCM also controls the indicators used to provide the operator with feedback as to the operating status of the system. With each press of the switch, the system will cycle through High, Medium, Low, and then back to Off again. The BCM also controls the seat temperature and mode indicators, via the serial data line, used to provide the operator with feedback as to the operating status of the system."

So, the BCM and front seat heating control module are the other likely issues. I would be interested in the front seat heating control module. I pulled up the diagram for where it is located below. This is located under the passenger seat (controls both the driver and passenger seat). I would start with an inspection of this. Look for damage to the wiring, connector, the module itself including any burnt material...

https://ibb.co/jVQG6wr
cam765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:55 PM   #16
Jarek

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
This is the hint that I was looking for cam765 especially as I was wondering why both seats were affected but if 1 module controls both this makes sense now.
Also thank you for providing the diagram!

Will check the module tomorrow and will let you know the outcome.
Jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #17
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
I think you need to BCM reflash. That was my point with the Recaro story - sorry I wasn't more clear. My point was that with the Recaro seats, you can plug them in with everything powered up and connected, but they still won't work without a BCM reflash. I think you need the same BCM reflash for your stock seats to work if you can't find anything unplugged.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:31 AM   #18
Jarek

Thank you Geoff
But if there was no change of seats why would the BCM need to be re-flashed?
I suspect disconnected plug or mechanical damage here (when seats were taken out for tensioner repair).
Old 07-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #19
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek View Post
Thank you Geoff
But if there was no change of seats why would the BCM need to be re-flashed?
I suspect disconnected plug or mechanical damage here (when seats were taken out for tensioner repair).
I think they had to re-flash for the pre-tensioner, so maybe that is when it got screwed up. Definitely look for bent plugs and pins first though.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #20
Jarek

Will do!
Question is which module controls seat-belts and should be cleared after tensioner fix - SDM or BCM?

Last edited by Jarek; 07-23-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:38 PM   #21
Jarek

Hello,
I have checked the module under the passenger's seat but (un)fortunately it was connected and without visible damage.
Attaching photos.
Seems that next step will be a bit more detailed diagnostic of SDM and BCM and re-flash.
Any other ideas?

BTW I have noticed that similar module under the driver's seat is missing the one plug (central one of the 3 plugs) but I assume that's by design, right?
Attached Images

Last edited by Jarek; 07-29-2021 at 03:05 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:27 AM   #22
cam765

Interesting find, I will have to think further on this. As this sometimes seems to go, you begin to wonder how much more you can check.

For your last question: below is a diagram for the driver seat. I assume you are referencing the #5 part? This is the K40D - seat memory control module. This module has 5 connectors (X1, X2, X3, X5, and X6). So it sounds like there is presumably an X4 connector that is not there by design.

Name:  delete 2.png
Views: 1378
Size:  391.9 KB
Old 07-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #23
Jarek

Hi cam765
Yes, it is the #5 but not sure what is the number of connector which is missing (if it is X4) I can only mark it in the picture (like I did above).
So you are saying it is ok that there is no plug there, right?

Last edited by Jarek; 07-30-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
cam765

Yes, I would guess that there should not be a plug there. The service manual doesn't show a whole lot, other than the description of each of the 5 connectors. But I am not sure which one corresponds to the actual module.

X1 - 2 way connector, L-GY* (2 occupied)
X2 - 6 way connector, BLACK (3 occupied)
X3 - 12 way connector, L-GY* (8 occupied)
X4 - does not exist
X5 - 26 way connector, BLACK (13 occupied)
X6 - 20 way connector, GRAY (3 occupied)

*L-GY means light gray possibly?

Anyways, looking more closely at this module in the driver's seat, it is responsible for primarily the motors in the seat, etc. It has nothing to do with seat heating and cooling.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #25
cam765

I would not recommend this yet, but if there was some sort of failure in the front seat heating control module you took apart from the passenger seat, it looks fairly cheap. There is a used one listed on eBay for $40 USD or best offer, but I suppose shipping internationally would probably double the price. But if that is the issue, it should not be ridiculously expensive to fix.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16488500055...grnJA#shpCntId
Old 07-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #26
Jarek

Hi cam765
Thank you for understanding - yes, shipment can be a pain
However I will start with detailed diagnosis to check if the problem is with the passenger seat control module or the Climate Control panel or maybe it is connected to lack of SDM re-flash (and SDM fix will solve this issue as well).
Once I have a culprit then I will scan the local market for used parts (people are importing a lot of salvage for US - some are repaired like mine, others go for spare parts).

Last edited by Jarek; 07-31-2021 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:24 PM   #27
raidaru

Drives: 2SS
Keep us updated, I'm in the same position as u are, bought salvage SS, fixed it , seats heating&vent not working, everything else works, no codes,etc..........I kinda gave up, didn't find jack anywhere.......
raidaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 01:42 AM   #28
Jarek

Hi raidaru
No worries I will give an update once I find the root-cause and solution

Last edited by Jarek; 08-02-2021 at 07:23 AM.