Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #1
Blobby

Drives: Former Owner '16 Camaro 2LT V6 conv
Integrated exhaust manifold?

It seems that this engine has very little online presence. Hard to find any of the typical power boost suggestions. I was going to put on a set of performance exhaust manifolds, and it took about 20 min of finding nothing till I realized that it didn’t have any. I don’t know a ton about exhaust physics, but all the performance manifolds keep each cylinder separated for a couple feet. This design crams them all together almost immediately. If you had your druthers, would you keep this design or opt for the traditional manifold?
Blobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:48 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
For me it's totally fine because I'm not trying to go crazy with this motor. After all it is just a basic n/a V6
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Think like an engineer, packaging.... They use this in a lot of platform's...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
exhaust scavenging offered by tuned header lengths is probably only a significant contributor to performance when dealing with total power in the low 200hp range with specific firing order and valve timings.

our cars have variable valve timing which probably throws any kind of tuning of the exhaust lengths out of whack,,, leaving the performance benefit of headers less significant when the existing manifold at least flows enough for the motor.

i don't think the lgx is missing out when it comes to that.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
Blobby

I’ve read that the only problem with integrated manifolds is heat related and harder tuning. When they engineer that problem out, there’s nothing but good. Heats coolant/engine to operating temp faster, cheaper, more compact, lighter, cooler cat temps. I suppose all that is worth a few hp loss anyway.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #6
Blobby

Anyone have a good exhaust header design for dummies article? I’m trying to learn about them just for curiosity. I’ve found that short and long headers have their advantages, but not the ones in between. The v8 Camaro engine has a header where a pair of cylinders on either bank joins very quickly, then the resulting pair of pipes join a little later. I figured the cylinders are paired with ones that fire close to 180 deg from each other (whatever you call farthest apart) and having a full length header isn’t worth the haste.

I’ve also seen this setup on custom headers where full length headers would fit fine. Sometimes left and right bank header tubes don’t stay on the left or right before they reduce to 4 then 2 then crossover tube.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
https://youtu.be/RomuhVwRgxc

GM engineer on the integrated manifold.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
https://youtu.be/RomuhVwRgxc

GM engineer on the integrated manifold.
Great explanation about a design detail of a great engine.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobby View Post
Anyone have a good exhaust header design for dummies article? I’m trying to learn about them just for curiosity. I’ve found that short and long headers have their advantages, but not the ones in between. The v8 Camaro engine has a header where a pair of cylinders on either bank joins very quickly, then the resulting pair of pipes join a little later. I figured the cylinders are paired with ones that fire close to 180 deg from each other (whatever you call farthest apart) and having a full length header isn’t worth the haste.

I’ve also seen this setup on custom headers where full length headers would fit fine. Sometimes left and right bank header tubes don’t stay on the left or right before they reduce to 4 then 2 then crossover tube.
If you like reading this might just be what you’re looking to absorb.

https://www.musclecardiy.com/perform...haust-headers/

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote