Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
TBAtilidk

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS 6M HBM
43,000 MI Service

New owner of a used 2SS and I'm taking it in for it's first service since I have taken ownership in Feb 2019. This is my 1st experience with having a vehicle serviced by a dealership as I did all the work on my previous Mustang.

My question is what should I expect to pay bill-wise when I receive the dealership's notes? Also, I bought jack pads but have not had the opportunity to install them. Is there a high risk of improper lifting taking place? I've heard there was an issue with dealerships causing frame damage to these cars due to jacking up in the wrong places.

Main issues I am taking the car in for:

Starter overheating issue (2016 MY did not receive heat wrap on the starters like the 17-19 MY did)
Rear diff groan. I'm not sure what can be done here but I have heard about the flush
11% Oil Life left on the gauge reading (I know, I have procrastinated far too long) - Should I trust a dealership to perform the oil change accurately?

A little info on the car: 2016 2SS 6SP MRC with 43,000 miles No bumper to bumper warranty so I'm expecting to foot the bill for the starter. I have a powertrain warranty alive until 2021 or 60K miles.

If anyone has experience with Carl Black Chevrolet of Nashville, TN let me know.
TBAtilidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Don't worry about the oil, it should be fine unless it's over on age. Good modern oil can last a year. Most dealerships have online service appointments so you can just go to their site and see what everything costs. There hasn't been widespread dealer jacking issues lately, but I would still put the lift points on ASAP if you already have them, just that we need to check the rockers when we pick up the car is stupid enough.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
TBAtilidk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
Don't worry about the oil, it should be fine unless it's over on age. Good modern oil can last a year. Most dealerships have online service appointments so you can just go to their site and see what everything costs. There hasn't been widespread dealer jacking issues lately, but I would still put the lift points on ASAP if you already have them, just that we need to check the rockers when we pick up the car is stupid enough.
Good to know. I dropped it off this morning. Dealer told me he hasn't heard anything about the starter issue I'm having so I think they're going to charge me full service + a new starter
Old 04-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
TBAtilidk

Update on starter: Dealer said they didn't find an issue with the starter but that the battery was low. Any thoughts on this? How is this when the car is a DD and it's never shown signs of battery going out?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Batteries are notably poor, replace it. It is easy to test your battery. Get a voltmeter and put it across the terminals. Have somebody crank the car and watch the voltage. If your below 9.6 volts when cranking then the battery is gone. While your at it once the car starts cycle through all of the accessories including the heated seats , rear defroster , lights of course , etc. Make sure the Alternator maintains 13 Volts or more.

I wouldn't worry about the oil at 11%. I have gone with the oil meter now on my last 5 or 6 cars and well above 100K miles. Modern oil is that good and don't forget you have 10 qts of oil in the Camaro. Oil mileage is really about the acids that break it down from combustion, blow by, etc. If you wanted to get even more mileage out of your oil a catch can is going to cut down on those acids.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote