Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
nitrojedi

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS Convertible
Yes ! our cars are awesome in the winter ..

You heard it ! the 6th gen SS is awesome in the winter ..I daily drive my 2018 1SS vert and its amazing, even here in Winnipeg with crazy -40 temperatures and huge amounts of snow. I work in sales at a Chevy dealership and decided to drive my car instead of parking it, I installed some 19" rims with Michelin X-Ice 3 tires and have been blown away ever since.. The car is a tank, has crazy amounts of grip and plows right thru the snow with ease, the ride is even fantastic...much smoother and more stable then my 2014 Forester also equipped with the same tires .. Anyways its not the best for the car and I know that but for myself the juice is worth the squeeze. The cars handling is amazing, I am so used to most cars wanting to understeer on the ice so its a real treat to drive something that can hold a line even on the craziest slickest ice around , the Camaro does not understeer at all, it turns when you want it to turn, with nannies on the car just does what you need it to do ...AWESOME !!! now if we could fix a few of the creaks and rattles I would be even happier !
Attached Images

nitrojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #2
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
I concur. I have a '08 Mercedes, a '08 Pontiac G8GT and an Lincoln, and by far the best traction/yaw control I've ever driven with on my two GM vehicles.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
nitrojedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvan View Post
I concur. I have a '08 Mercedes, a '08 Pontiac G8GT and an Lincoln, and by far the best traction/yaw control I've ever driven with on my two GM vehicles.
Absolutely..GM has a great traction /yaw control system. I wonder how much more advanced the system in the Camaro is as opposed to their more pedestrian offerings like the Malibu and Cruze .

I'm 46 now but I learned to drive in a 1975 Camaro LT 4 Speed w 350, back then we didn't have winter tires or nothing, I look back and am amazed I didn't kill myself, at the time I lived in the country and was on slippery winter highways every other day with old worn tires..Back then the equivalent of adding winter tires was throwing a couple 50 lb sand bags in the trunk LOL .. Moral of the story here is that I did cut my teeth driving in a less then ideal situation, so for me this 2018SS just blows my mind...455HP and I'm getting around with no issues at all.. people even comment how good the ride is... Since we have soo much snow and its so cold the roads are really rough with rutted ice and hardpack, so the stiffer suspension on the Camaro just eats it up like nothing, my Subaru Forester gets bounced around much much worse..
Old 02-28-2019, 05:29 PM   #4
JohnsonJ

Drives: BLACK
That was a great review for a winter car. hah Definitely awesome!
JohnsonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
It handles well but the nannies are a little overbearing and forward traction is limited... however, my last car was a Subaru STi which has AWD + 3 LSDs, it's an amazing car in the snow. I'm also running 265/40/19 Pilot Alpin, so the tires aren't as good as the X-Ice in the snow but they're good, and the car handles really well on cold, dry pavement too.

We haven't had much snow around here, not to the point the roads have been really well snowpacked so I'm still waiting to get it out somewhere with some space and turn stability controls off. It lets you get a little bit sideways with TC off but not too far... not far enough for driving in the snow imo.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
I drove mine with high performance all seasons thru a bad Toledo winter especially in terms of ice. Yes we had the usual large snowfall but I've never seen ice like this year in my 19 years of driving. No issues whatsoever, and im coming from a WRX AWD that had x-ice tires on it. People see the word camaro ss and tell me "have fun driving in the winter!" In reality it's no different than any rear wheel drive car in the winter, and keep in mind 90% of BMW and Mercedes cars are RWD and a lot come with summer tires too. 455hp means zero if you can control the throttle and use the right tires. You don't even need ice mode for that. Hell the worst car I ever drove in the winter was a 2wd 1993 ford ranger with probably 120hp. To this day I don't understand how people drive 2wd trucks in the winter with no weight in the bed.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #7
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I agree. With the right tires snow isn't much of a problem. Well, that and driving sensibly.
I got caught in the storm we had in NY in November. The Conti all seasons and 2 50lb bags of ice melt in the trunk helped a lot as did the S/I mode.
Don't expect it to do as well as AWD or a 4x4 but I was impressed.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:50 AM   #8
TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert

Drives: 2016 2 SS Vert
Mine breaks loose every time I touch the gas but I would rather that then a front wheel drive car. My snows are a brand I never heard of so it might be why why it hits 4000RPM and fish tails down the road but its the most fun Ive had in winter in years. 2016 2SS Vert.
TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #9
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
I've driven mine daily for the last 3 years.
As I always tell my friends, rear wheel drive cars with winter tires are safer than front wheel drive cars with all season tires overall.
Traction is one thing, but AWD or FWD has nothing to do with stopping and cornering. (unless of course you can throttle steer - if you are that good, whatever drive probably won't matter much any way)

This car is fun and great!
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Haha...no. You people are smoking crack if you think it's a great winter car or "awesome" in the snow/ice.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #11
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnR 4ever 4ever 16 Vert View Post
Mine breaks loose every time I touch the gas but I would rather that then a front wheel drive car.
So you'd rather be in a car constantly trying to swing it's a$$ out? Also, a car that doesn't have a concentration of weight over the drive wheels? It's just a matter of time before you get on a surface that the stability control can't manage.

That literally makes no sense.

This is one of those rationalization threads where "well, I bought it, so it must be good!".

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
People are always surprised to hear that my 1LE easily blasts through snowy roads with ease. I run 18" Camaro LT wheels with Pirelli Sotozero tires.
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Haha...no. You people are smoking crack if you think it's a great winter car or "awesome" in the snow/ice.
How dare you think that a 455HP low clearance RWD sports car isn't the perfect winter transportation!

Seriously, couldn't imagine subjecting my 1LE to the massive amounts of salt they dump on the roads here.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
nitrojedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
LOL ! I would say the same thing sitting in your seat !

However I am sitting in my seat, 30 year driver in some of the nastiest winter climate and roads on the planet..I have a pretty good handle on whats good and what isn't and the Camaro does just fine, a million times better then I would have ever expected...my back end has no issue with swinging out unless I turn the traction control off .. Of course its not as good as a proper AWD with proper tires, but considering its a 455 HP RWD sports car she does amazingly well ! I find the weight balance of the car to be very good....