#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #1
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Test Drove a new GT 350 today !

I was passing a local ford dealership in my chevelle today and saw a white with blue stripes 350 out front, So I went back to just look at it. Walked over and here comes out a salesman, I will make you a great deal he says, No I'm just looking ! He gets the keys and says start it up, then says pull it out. We went for a 5-6 miles out, he told me to step in it, but I wouldn't. Anyway I noticed it rides harder then a ZL1/1le and man the brakes were grabby, maybe my 4 wheel disc slotted and drill brakes were just subpar, but I said thank you for the ride, and showed him all my downloads of a ZL1 1le hyper blue that I plan on getting. Nice guy for sure ! and the sticker was 61K, but I gotta have a ZL1 1le, I'm about to be debt free, and want to wait a year longer at least. But I must admit I looked at the riverside blue today on a base camaro and its crap for a blue color. So a left over or a garnett red is for me. Hyper blue ZL1, Slate Bue crew max tundra, and future hyper blue chevelle would make me blue with envy ! I'm jealous of you guys for sure !
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
I was passing a local ford dealership in my chevelle today and saw a white with blue stripes 350 out front, So I went back to just look at it. Walked over and here comes out a salesman, I will make you a great deal he says, No I'm just looking ! He gets the keys and says start it up, then says pull it out. We went for a 5-6 miles out, he told me to step in it, but I wouldn't. Anyway I noticed it rides harder then a ZL1/1le and man the brakes were grabby, maybe my 4 wheel disc slotted and drill brakes were just subpar, but I said thank you for the ride, and showed him all my downloads of a ZL1 1le hyper blue that I plan on getting. Nice guy for sure ! and the sticker was 61K, but I gotta have a ZL1 1le, I'm about to be debt free, and want to wait a year longer at least. But I must admit I looked at the riverside blue today on a base camaro and its crap for a blue color. So a left over or a garnett red is for me. Hyper blue ZL1, Slate Bue crew max tundra, and future hyper blue chevelle would make me blue with envy ! I'm jealous of you guys for sure !
Before I bought my zl1 1le I was searching hard for a GT 350R. Didn't buy one because I refuse to pay over MSRP for any car.

During my search for the Shelby, I was also eyeballing the zl1 1le, watched hundreds of hours of videos on YouTube and read everything I could.

Similar experience to yours, I drove past my local Chevy dealership and they had a zl1 1le parked outside. It was a company car so it had like 4k miles on it. I ended up test driving it, as soon as I started it I knew I was in trouble and was probably going to buy it. Sounded amazing !!!

after the test drive and taking the on and off ramps on the highway at ridiculous speeds and the car feeling like it was on rails I new it was going to be mine. You wont be disappointed when you get yours.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that there is a car out there with a stiffer ride than the zl1 1le. I feel bad for those Shelby owners.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 AM   #3
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post

Haha, no way in hell did you drive the GT350. Because in no world is the ride "harder". NOT EVEN CLOSE. If anything, the GT350 rides like a freaking yacht on water compared to the Zl1/1LE. If you are going to do some kind of review, at least get it right. I just bought a GT350 and it is HANDS down a way better ride than the Zl1 1LE and it's a touch softer than the Zl1 as well. I know. I own both.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
Johnjan

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
You are making the right choice! I had a GT350. Every time I drove it I couldn't wait to get out of it. No torque, worst clutch feel in history, buzzy at all RPMs, and an exhaust note that might as well have been finger nails on a chalkboard.

Traded for a 2018 ZL1 M6 and love every minute behind the wheel.
Johnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Haha, no way in hell did you drive the GT350. Because in no world is the ride "harder". NOT EVEN CLOSE. If anything, the GT350 rides like a freaking yacht on water compared to the Zl1/1LE. If you are going to do some kind of review, at least get it right. I just bought a GT350 and it is HANDS down a way better ride than the Zl1 1LE and it's a touch softer than the Zl1 as well. I know. I own both.
X2
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Yeah I’ve had a 350 and no way is it firmer than this ZL1-1LE lol. Idk what could even be wrong with it to make it ride that rough.

Brakes are very grabby though and how bout that motor taking a big ole nap til 4k??
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Either that or he hasn't driven a ZL1 1LE yet.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
LOL I was going to reply with the same. I've driven the GT350 both R and non-R and it's not even close. At all.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Possible, but then why make the comparison?
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #10
Lethal Z
American Gearhead!!

Drives: ZL1 1LE/GT350/Ford RS/Gen 2 Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Yeah I’ve had a 350 and no way is it firmer than this ZL1-1LE lol. Idk what could even be wrong with it to make it ride that rough.

Brakes are very grabby though and how bout that motor taking a big ole nap til 4k??
I think most people that don't appreciate a GT350 just didn't get enough seat time. It took me awhile to reprogram my brain to stop shifting at 3-4k since that's what every other V8 powerband normally is that I've owned. Once I started to shift above 6k and use the remaining 2K of RPMs, it changed everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I'd bet both.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #11
vy427

Drives: '21 ZL1 A10 Convertible
If the GT350 is driven in sport or track mode, or in normal mode with the suspension manually set to the sport setting, the ride is very firm (i.e., over bumps you will bounce around in your seat). Whether it’s more firm than a ZLE, that I don’t know since I haven’t driven one. In normal mode, however, the ride is firm but not punishing. It’s a very noticeable difference compared to the sport or track suspension setting. (Note: if in sport or track mode, one can manually change the suspension setting down one notch to normal or sport respectively.)

Last edited by vy427; 12-12-2018 at 10:15 AM.
vy427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #12
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
I have read so many "tales" about the daily driving of a ZL1 1LE and how rough it is. I have not driven one but my older 2014 Mustang GT had an adjustable Ford Racing suspension on it and it was was very stiff.

My new Tacoma PRO is the stiffest truck I have every owned with the Fox Racing shocks on it as my daily driver. THAT is a stiff ride.

The GT350 I owned was soft compared to the PRO.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #13
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal Z View Post
I think most people that don't appreciate a GT350 just didn't get enough seat time. It took me awhile to reprogram my brain to stop shifting at 3-4k since that's what every other V8 powerband normally is that I've owned. Once I started to shift above 6k and use the remaining 2K of RPMs, it changed everything.
yeah, when i first got mine i really thought i was winding her out at 6k lol. i understood more why it was the way it was once i got to experience it on track.

but for the street, which is my main use, i am enjoying this torque so much
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Idk what could even be wrong with it to make it ride that rough.

Unless the transport spacers were not removed from the springs.
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote