#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #43
fradaj

Drives: RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Don't think the name is the problem, the price tag is.

The Z/28 is a cool car but at 76K it is out of my price range. I think the 1LE could become a worthy Z/28 with lower weight, LT1, 7 or 8 speed trans and magnetic shocks.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #44
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
I'm not getting why the ZL1 gets hated on in the 5th Gen it still gives the 700HP Hellcat a run for it's money and wins often enough with a competent driver. Do we really need 700HP in a camaro of course not but even i'd like to see it from the factory to the sales floor. Leave the poor Z/28 out of the equation entirely it's a great car thats been trashed to many times, i think they'd be better off just leaving it out for a generation or using it as a closing build a year or two before the next generation came out. As for engines we all wanna see a 460HP V6 from the factory if that comes out before full release of the V8 you know you'll get your 700HP engine gift they won't let the V6 even with FI to close to an NA V8 from the factory.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:11 PM   #45
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Don't think the name is the problem, the price tag is.
I know price was an issue. People dont understand what the Z/28 has that makes it worth the money.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #46
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I know price was an issue. People dont understand what the Z/28 has that makes it worth the money.
Chevy knowingly built the Z/28 for the few people that did understand. I've said before I would have bought a LS7 1LE type Z/28 but couldn't make the CCB, 305 square combo work for me. Chevy built a legacy car with no expectation of it being a volume car that I would like. Kudos to them for being so hardcore.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #47
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Chevy knowingly built the Z/28 for the few people that did understand. I've said before I would have bought a LS7 1LE type Z/28 but couldn't make the CCB, 305 square combo work for me. Chevy built a legacy car with no expectation of it being a volume car that I would like. Kudos to them for being so hardcore.
THIS‼️⬆️⬆️⬆️

I also think if for the swan song of the current gen cars GM would offer a 427 version of the CAMARO SS, that would be grand for the average Camaro enthusiast. Affordable straight line factory hp, ala the 427 Corvette convertible.

It serves a different audience at a lower price point but is still exclusive enough not to impact corporate epa numbers and not take away anything from the Z/28's halo standing in the lineup. Use this to deplete any of the remaining LS7's that's not needed for factory warranty work or parts sales for another special model with some balls.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 02-24-2015 at 12:07 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 PM   #48
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Maybe it will be the ZL1 first, here's an announcement on a twin-turbo V8 for the CTS.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...twin-turbo-v8/
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #49
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
How exactly did the CCB's and 305's not work for you...i'm just curious.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 04:06 PM   #50
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
How exactly did the CCB's and 305's not work for you...i'm just curious.
They made it too rich for me and a waste to drive anywhere but the track. As mentioned before, I would have preferred the Z/28 be a volume oriented car priced in the mid 50s. Chevy made it a halo car instead and positioned it to sell in limited numbers.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #51
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I absolutely love the Z/28 in its current form and I hope the next gen is similarly focused and not diluted down to appeal to a wider audience. That being said, Chevy needs to offer a hotter traditional street brawler to take on the 392 scat packs and the like that fit inbetween the standard SS and the higher hp cars for the 1/4 guy's who don't like to make turns except at the end of the strip to access the return lane at the turn off.

Tags
gt350, gt500, z/28, zl1