Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 02-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #15
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
Studded tires and chains..lol.. Obviously you have had alot of time in the hot Texas area. Nobody uses chains any more. They actually illegal to drive around with. I personally garage my car during the winter. But if you must get yourself some other shag rims and snow tires.
And BTW Boston area doesn't get that much snow on a normal winter.

Now here in Central NY we get nailed with lake effect snow , northeastern snow, and thebole Alberta clipper. By the time storma get to MA most of the time it is rain. They do get snow but not a ton
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #16
Zigg L1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Garnet Red Tintcoat A10
All that being said my daily driver is a 2018 F150 platinum edition.
Zigg L1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #17
gangof4

Drives: 2018 RS
Too long

I've been in Texas since 1979 (too long.) I grew up near Monticello, NY and I'm moving to the Albany area. They've gotten a heap of snow this winter so far.
gangof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 PM   #18
crankaholic

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Any good winter tire will work. Tirerack lists them under "performance winter/snow". Some are geared more towards snow (blizzaks) while others towards cold dry pavement traction. Size will play a big role in what's available, most manufacturers don't make them in a lot of sizes.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #19
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangof4 View Post
I've been in Texas since 1979 (too long.) I grew up near Monticello, NY and I'm moving to the Albany area. They've gotten a heap of snow this winter so far.

Bet you would be a lot happier staying in Texas. Sorry you have to leave.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:25 PM   #20
gangof4

Drives: 2018 RS
Amazing. I was in Cedar Park last week. Took my grandkids to a Toby Mac concert at the event center.
gangof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #21
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Where in New England are you moving? If you'll be near Boston, hit me up when you arrive. I'm planning the Palmer, MA track event in April, and may do a few more throughout the season.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 AM   #22
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Sottozero, Blizzaks, X-Ice 3's are all good tires but the best thing you could do is get 18" wheels and skinnier tires and it will also be easier on the wallet. For snow you want a skinny tire to get down to the pavement. That is the opposite in a mud or sand tire where you want a wide tire to get the most traction from the mud and sand and gives you a float. The 8" and 9" wheels on say a SS Camaro are not the way to go unless you don't have the money for say 7" wheels. In other words floating on snow is called a sled!!! The difference between All Season and Dedicated snows is the tread pattern but more importantly the tire compound and the winter tires are real sticky.

Most important thing is knowing how to drive. I live in a hilly area and that is the worst because you will often find areas down a hill where the road is crowned to push you off the road. Going a bit too fast in that type of situation will absolutely push you off the road especially if you hit the brakes.

I have a Diesel Silverado with all terrain tires on it with plenty of tread. I was following a BMW X-Drive 535 last week in the snow and I was in 4 wheel Hi . It was a nasty down hill with a sharp turn. I put my Silverado into manual mode and started downshifting. The BMW well it spun out and went off the road. If I didn't start downshifting and hit my brakes well I would have joined him. My kid got a good lesson in driving in the snow. We both had all season tires and 4 wheel drive or All wheel drive but the difference was in the drivers.

It is all about tires and knowing how to drive but the skinnier tires are better then wide tires. All Wheel drive and bad tires usually doesn't net you much gain.

Last edited by CoolbreezeNJ; 02-13-2019 at 07:13 AM.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #23
CoolbreezeNJ

Drives: '18 Hotwheels 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg L1 View Post
Studded tires and chains..lol.. Obviously you have had alot of time in the hot Texas area. Nobody uses chains any more. They actually illegal to drive around with. I personally garage my car during the winter. But if you must get yourself some other shag rims and snow tires.

Now here in Central NY we get nailed with lake effect snow , northeastern snow, and thebole Alberta clipper. By the time storma get to MA most of the time it is rain. They do get snow but not a ton
Careful with that Boston doesn't get a lot of snow. The City itself sitting on the coast is a little warmer. Go 15-20 miles inland and it is a different story. I'm in NWNJ and live at about 1200 ft. The difference between me and NYC could be 40" of snow a year. Even 5 miles east of me towards the coast can halve the amount of snow we get. I was born in Binghamton but then moved to Saratoga and now in NJ. We used to have to shovel our roof some years in those places but that was many years ago.
CoolbreezeNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #24
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangof4 View Post
I'm moving north later this year to the New England area and I'll be taking my 2018 RS Redline edition Camaro with me. I understand people who live there use snow tires or chains in the winter. I can't picture my car with tires chains and I doubt I can get studded tires for it. Does anyone have any experience driving their Camaro in wintry-weather (the roads would have to be plowed, of course?)
I have the stock rims with the stock 20” Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Ultra All Seasons and I have no issues in the winter. Although I drive 15 minutes to work so yeah. I personally wouldn’t buy the Goodyear’s again since for cheaper you can get a better tire.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #25
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
... I'm in NWNJ and live at about 1200 ft. The difference between me and NYC could be 40" of snow a year. Even 5 miles east of me towards the coast can halve the amount of snow we get. ...
Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods. 07821

I hate winter.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:12 AM   #26
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigg L1 View Post

Chains are not illegal to drive around with... Unless you're using them on clean pavement, lol.

The bigger issue is that most tire chains won't fit in the fenders, lol. Gotta measure clearance, first

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:48 AM   #27
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
We just need more snow to validate these theories!

285's cuz no one makes narrow wheel with enough offset to flush out ZLE.
Attached Images

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #28
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolbreezeNJ View Post
Careful with that Boston doesn't get a lot of snow. The City itself sitting on the coast is a little warmer. Go 15-20 miles inland and it is a different story. I'm in NWNJ and live at about 1200 ft. The difference between me and NYC could be 40" of snow a year. Even 5 miles east of me towards the coast can halve the amount of snow we get. I was born in Binghamton but then moved to Saratoga and now in NJ. We used to have to shovel our roof some years in those places but that was many years ago.

Boston itself can get slammed by 'Noreaster storms, which can bring up to 2' of snow (most average 12"+). In the 2014/2015 winter, we had 109" of snow. By most standards, that is a LOT of snow. We'll never come close to the lake effect snow, but for winter considerations and snow tires, we get our fair share. Certainly plenty of cold/icy days too.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote