Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 04-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #15
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
Tell them you want it done on a 4 post lift.
The dealer drove mine up on a ramp for low cars like the Corvette. No frame lift at all.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
500 mile change is not required for a 2019 which comes with 0W40

Type of oil used at the factory such as break-in oil is the only reason to change at 500 and I do believe the manual calls for it on the 2018.

Good to get at least your free ones on record at the dealership. And don't forget the rear end.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #17
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
1) Request a 4 post/drive on lift/alignment rack oil change job. Ask to watch the job or ask the service manager to make sure they take extra good care of it. Get plastic covers for the seat and steering wheel and paper for the floor (good dealers do this automatically). Don't be afraid to take your car to a Cadillac dealership! Cadillac dealers can do everything Chevy dealers can but usually have better staff and often include plastic protection for the interior. Lastly, specify no wash.

or

2) Change it yourself but keep record of all of the items...Receipts for the oil and filter for sure. Document everything, put it in a little file jacket, and keep it in your desk. Chances are you'll never need it. But if you do, GM will honor it as long as you use the correct oil and filter.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #18
recontango

Drives: 2018 ZR1
Thanks everyone for the insight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Past: 2017 Challenger T/A 392, 2015 Challenger SRT 392, 2010 Camaro Synergy Green
recontango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #19
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
not going to beat a dead horse. but I did mine at 500ish miles, then again at 1500, from there on out its once a year for me. I normally put on about 2K a year or so. I'd much rather "waste" money and have peace of mind. so continue what you were thinking on doing.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:55 PM   #20
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Unless you are tracking you do not need to change the factory oil at 500 miles.
I believe the recommended method is, do not track before the first oil change at 500, then you can track to your hearts content, but if tracking regularly, change oil every 1500 miles. If you are not doing this, then, please, please do not change your factory oil at 500 miles. At best it is a pointless waste of time, at worst it will impede normal break-in. Modern synthetic oil can and does prolong or foul up normal break-in. The car is designed to be driven and broken in on the factory oil, and not change that oil until 5000 miles. Changing oil at 500, and at 1500, before your break in is even completed, is not "cheap insurance" or "peace of mind". It's paranoia. I'm pretty sure the only way your warranty could be voided over questionable oil maintenance would be if your engine suffers an oiling related failure and they look and find that your oil is super old and obviously had not been changed ever. Then yes, you'd be screwed and you would deserve it for failing to change your oil and that's why the failure happened in the first place. This idea that GM is going after people or voiding warranties because you didn't have them change your oil, is more paranoia. Has this actually happened to anyone? I've never seen it.

Last edited by protovack; 04-26-2019 at 12:09 AM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:49 PM   #21
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Unless you are tracking you do not need to change the factory oil at 500 miles.
I believe the recommended method is, do not track before the first oil change at 500, then you can track to your hearts content, but if tracking regularly, change oil every 1500 miles. If you are not doing this, then, please, please do not change your factory oil at 500 miles. At best it is a pointless waste of time, at worst it will impede normal break-in. Modern synthetic oil can and does prolong or foul up normal break-in. The car is designed to be driven and broken in on the factory oil, and not change that oil until 5000 miles. Changing oil at 500, and at 1500, before your break in is even completed, is not "cheap insurance" or "peace of mind". It's paranoia. I'm pretty sure the only way your warranty could be voided over questionable oil maintenance would be if your engine suffers an oiling related failure and they look and find that your oil is super old and obviously had not been changed ever. Then yes, you'd be screwed and you would deserve it for failing to change your oil and that's why the failure happened in the first place. This idea that GM is going after people or voiding warranties because you didn't have them change your oil, is more paranoia. Has this actually happened to anyone? I've never seen it.
Just to clarify, GM has stopped using "break in oil" ages ago. As such they have been filling vehicles with whatever std oil is recommended. Camaro is no different. 5W30 until 2018 and 0W40 starting with 2019.

The motor is broken in after 500 miles. The idea to change oil (and filter!) then, is to get rid of any metal junk, if any (like many here i did my first change then).
Track Preparation doc recommends this interval.

The requirement of 1500 miles for full break in is due to E-LSD - not motor. Only then it is permitted to track a car (after diff fluid change).

It seems like 5 track days plus any mild DD in between is a good limit on oil, based on posted analysis reports. This equates to about 50% life left, but may vary.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:16 PM   #22
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
^^^
People continue to claim a 500 mile oil change is beneficial, but if that was true, the manual would say that right?

The only mention of a 500 mile oil change is when you are tracking. The reason, I presume, is thermal breakdown of the oil, and the only way to achieve oil temps in that range is on the track. Even highly spirited driving on the street is extremely unlikely to produce oil temperatures that would lead to thermal breakdown with modern synthetic oil.

Does anyone know if the oil they seated the rings with at the factory, is drained off and replaced before leaving the factory? I'm pretty sure it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, engineering people. But say you have two solid metal parts rubbing against each other, with a film of oil between them with metal flakes in it. What are the chances that those flakes are going to introduce new damage to the walls of the metal parts? To me that chance appears to be zero, because I would expect any forces would destroy or deform the flake itself far before any damage is dealt to the actual parts.

Last edited by protovack; 04-28-2019 at 11:33 PM.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:04 AM   #23
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
^^^
People continue to claim a 500 mile oil change is beneficial, but if that was true, the manual would say that right?

The only mention of a 500 mile oil change is when you are tracking. The reason, I presume, is thermal breakdown of the oil, and the only way to achieve oil temps in that range is on the track. Even highly spirited driving on the street is extremely unlikely to produce oil temperatures that would lead to thermal breakdown with modern synthetic oil.

Does anyone know if the oil they seated the rings with at the factory, is drained off and replaced before leaving the factory? I'm pretty sure it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, engineering people. But say you have two solid metal parts rubbing against each other, with a film of oil between them with metal flakes in it. What are the chances that those flakes are going to introduce new damage to the walls of the metal parts? To me that chance appears to be zero, because I would expect any forces would destroy or deform the flake itself far before any damage is dealt to the actual parts.
If metal particles in a motor didnt matter, then oil FILTERS would not exist. Neither would MAGNETIC plugs in all fluid compartments like a diff.

I am willing to bet that more engines let go during cold start ups vs on race tracks. There is a reason why frequent starts, stop and go traffic, dusty conditions, etc are considered SEVERE duty by oil manufactures.

I have no idea why there is no oil mileage mentioned (not even 5000 miles btw) in Break In procedure, other than RPM and other restrictions for the first 1500 miles.

The 500 miles is mentioned in a Track Prep hand out, but that's not track specific per se, as one is not permitted to track until after 1500 miles when ELSD gets broken in.
And the language used does not suggest this early change is track specific, but rather a part of a regular break in.

Either way, since the manual doesnt explicitly state to change oil as part of a break in procedure, you're covered even if you just wait until your oil monitor says "change oil soon", or one year, whichever comes first.

But personally, i like getting any possible crap out as quickly as possible and as such 500 miles sounds like a good idea. To me Cheers!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #24
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
While we're on the subject of changing oil and eLSD.
I'm planing on tracking my car soon however, being that I don't know what the previous owner did or didn't do as far as fluid changes go, I would like to change the fluids before I track the car.

I'm confused as to the eLSD and rear diff fluid changes.
Are these fluids the same or are they different?
I looked in the manual and there's only a GM p/n for the rear diff fluid.
Is there an aftermarket fluid that is being used for both the eLSD and rear diff? Redline, RP, Amsoil etc...

Also, since I haven't been under the car yet, is there a drain plug for the eLSD and rear diff, or is it drained like old school and remove the cover?
New Gasket needed?

I have the motor and trans oil, but after reading some of the posts here, it seems like I better change the eLSD and rear diff.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #25
TrackClub

Ovrkll: when folks refer to ediff, or elsd, or diff fluid changes it really means the main diff "pumpkin" and not the true e-diff, which sits above it. Change "pumpkin" fluid only and ensure to clean the plugs. Get ready for sludge to come out I use fluid as recommended in the manual part wise. I change it every 5 track days or so. Hope this helps. Cheers!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #26
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ovrkll: when folks refer to ediff, or elsd, or diff fluid changes it really means the main diff "pumpkin" and not the true e-diff, which sits above it. Change "pumpkin" fluid only and ensure to clean the plugs. Get ready for sludge to come out I use fluid as recommended in the manual part wise. I change it every 5 track days or so. Hope this helps. Cheers!
Thank you very much TrackClub!
My car is at the dealership now for a Suspension System Service, second time in for that, so when I pick it up, I'll get some diff fluid...pumpkin juice!