Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #15
Akura

Drives: ´18 ZL1 A10 Red Hot 😍
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I like the Carplay UI more than Android Auto.
+1

Akura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #16
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I'll believe this when I see it. Even with Waze on Apple Carplay, Android Auto is the superior interface, IMO,
I mean it was announced at the WWDC conference by Apple, with screenshots of both Google and Waze on Carplay - it's definitely happening as part of IOS12.

As for which is the superior system, that's a personal choice - I much prefer Apple and CarPlay myself
Old 06-08-2018, 12:16 AM   #17
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
I mean it was announced at the WWDC conference by Apple, with screenshots of both Google and Waze on Carplay - it's definitely happening as part of IOS12.

As for which is the superior system, that's a personal choice - I much prefer Apple and CarPlay myself
I suppose that's fair. You're entitled to your opinion. You don't mention whether or not you've tried both. I have (my work phone is an iPhone, so if I drive anywhere during the business day, my Android stays at my desk and I use Carplay).

For me, it is a frustrating experience. Voice recognition does not approach the same accuracy and is not nearly as "intuitive." Receiving texts and responding by voice is not as elegantly implemented and simple, I have more options for music apps. The screen reacts more quickly to my touch inputs. The phone interface screen is laid out in a way that I find more user-friendly, as is the music interface screen.

I could go on, but these are some of my real-world, albeit, subjective, observations.

Interested in how some of you others experience the two systems...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 AM   #18
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
In my experience, Apple / iOS applications are more consistent and Android applications have the potential to be better but aren’t always, depending on the phone manufacturer who implements it. For a while, my personal phone was an iPhone 4 and my work phone was an Android based Motorola Razr. My mother had an Android based Samsung. I’ll make that relevant a bit later.

The Motorola was a battery pig. I could not get through a workday on one charge, so whenever I was at my desk or in my car, it was plugged in. That sucked. The iPhone was untethered until I plugged it in when I went to bed. Also iPhone was the clear winner for apps that I needed. I am sure there were some things the Android did better, but to be totally honest, as soon as the company offered iPhones, I ditched the Motorola. It very likely may have been more of a Motorola issue than an Android issue, but fact of the matter is, that phone was all but useless to me.

As I mentioned, my mom had a Samsung Galaxy whatever number was out at the time. It seemed to have more available content than my Razr. The weird thing to me was when she asked me how to do simple things on the phone, I couldn’t do it. The way Motorola deployed Android and the way Samsung deployed Android was so different that the way I accomplished tasks on the Razr didn’t even come close to working on the Galaxy. Since then, I have been Team Apple.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 06-08-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 AM   #19
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I suppose that's fair. You're entitled to your opinion. You don't mention whether or not you've tried both. I have (my work phone is an iPhone, so if I drive anywhere during the business day, my Android stays at my desk and I use Carplay).

For me, it is a frustrating experience. Voice recognition does not approach the same accuracy and is not nearly as "intuitive." Receiving texts and responding by voice is not as elegantly implemented and simple, I have more options for music apps. The screen reacts more quickly to my touch inputs. The phone interface screen is laid out in a way that I find more user-friendly, as is the music interface screen.

I could go on, but these are some of my real-world, albeit, subjective, observations.

Interested in how some of you others experience the two systems...
My work provided me with a android phone and I have a personal iPhone, I like the iPhone much better. I always had issues with the applications not work correctly on the android phone and I won't even get into since so many manufacturers make android phones the OS update life is less then half compared to the iPhone.

That's just me.
Good to hear the update is coming to IOS12
Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #20
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Good to see Apple is allowing Waze. The routes are not always on point, but it does save me time and aggravation. As for Android Auto, can't complain. It's quick, reliable and the voice recognition has been better than expected. Can't comment on Carplay as I've never used it.

As for Android phones, you get what you pay for. Can't expect to buy one for $100-200 and get Samsung s7 or 8 performance and reliability. Of course there are exceptions like the J series which are pretty fast and reliable at the same time.

My Note 8 is easily the best phone I've ever owned.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #21
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
In my experience, Apple / iOS applications are more consistent and Android applications have the potential to be better but aren’t always, depending on the phone manufacturer who implements it. For a while, my personal phone was an iPhone 4 and my work phone was an Android based Motorola Razr. My mother had an Android based Samsung. I’ll make that relevant a bit later.

The Motorola was a battery pig. I could not get through a workday on one charge, so whenever I was at my desk or in my car, it was plugged in. That sucked. The iPhone was untethered until I plugged it in when I went to bed. Also iPhone was the clear winner for apps that I needed. I am sure there were some things the Android did better, but to be totally honest, as soon as the company offered iPhones, I ditched the Motorola. It very likely may have been more of a Motorola issue than an Android issue, but fact of the matter is, that phone was all but useless to me.

As I mentioned, my mom had a Samsung Galaxy whatever number was out at the time. It seemed to have more available content than my Razr. The weird thing to me was when she asked me how to do simple things on the phone, I couldn’t do it. The way Motorola deployed Android and the way Samsung deployed Android was so different that the way I accomplished tasks on the Razr didn’t even come close to working on the Galaxy. Since then, I have been Team Apple.
But that is why so many people like Apple, because it is very basic and simple...but it does not in any way shape or form mean better, night and day from Android. Android from a technical standpoint is a much, much better OS, and a lot of Android phones hardware wise are far superior than what Apple puts out, namely Samsung (which manufacturers a bunch of big important parts for Apple)...and yes I have been an IT technician for 20 years and this is the consensus amongst all IT support techs that work on PCs all day long.

Personally even though Apple is so simple in its OS and everything is the "same" across their lineup, I find it does not make sense when trying to find things or settings, just scratch my head sometimes when the few times I have to work on Apple devices.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #22
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Now there are some manufacturers like HTC who just totally botch Android big time...it is a train wreck, but that is the manufacturer, not the Android OS. The vanilla versions of Android or even Samsung's spin on Android over the last 2 or 3 years is very easy to use, not basic and simplistic with no meat to it like Apple's OS, but simple...the bottom line with any of these smartphones and OS's is that most people only utilize about 8% of what the device can actually do.

Personally I think Android Auto is gimmicky, or even Carplay, I only use it for navigation purposes, usually Google Maps, that is great, but otherwise, it is very gimmicky, no need to plug my phone in other than Maps.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #23
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
If you're willing to jailbreak your iPhone, there's a tweak called CarBridge that will let you project any app from the CarPlay interface.

iOS 11.4 cannot be jailbroken currently. 11.3.1's jailbreak is impending any day now, but Apple is no longer "signing" that version anymore to allow upgrades/downgrades to it. You can still load the 11.3.1 beta according to folks on Reddit as a last-ditch effort, but the signing window is expected to end on that soon too. Check out /r/jailbreak if you're interested. It's pretty busy over there right now.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #24
at7000ft

Drives: 2016 2SS
Will any Camero software update be needed for this or just the iPhone iOS 12 upgrade when available?
at7000ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #25
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by at7000ft View Post
Will any Camero software update be needed for this or just the iPhone iOS 12 upgrade when available?
Nobody can say for certain, but I'd doubt you'd need to do any updates on the MyLink side of things. That being said, I have heard of rare instances of iOS updates breaking CarPlay compatibility with some other manufacturer's (not GM) infotainment systems, which would require a minor update. CarPlay is supposed to be a protocol / standard, and in theory, so long as infotainment manufacturers adhere to its guidelines, there should be no issues. But in the real world, bugs happen, and companies are generally quick to work with Apple to fix these things to avoid unhappy customers.

Hope that explanation helps.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:11 AM   #26
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
This is a bit of a a book, so don't feel compelled to read it unless you are just interested in the perspective and experience of an Android user...

In the debate about which phone OS is superior, both have their strengths. My wife loves her iPhone. It's simple, not very customizable, so it looks and works just like her mom's phone, her sister's phone, etc., and it works reliably as a phone, camera, and text messaging platform. She does not use it for music, so she doesn't experience the considerable limitations of the IOS platform in that area or the difficulties of transferring mp3s to and from the phone/computer, beyond what iTunes allows.

I, as I mentioned in my previous post, prefer Android. I am, admittedly, a bit of a tech nerd. I can't bear using a phone that does not let me decide which installed apps appear on my screens, does not let me easily copy pictures and music directly to my computer by simply connecting via USB and dragging and dropping. iTunes is maddening to me.

When I talk to Siri, she rarely understands. I'm well educated and reasonably well spoken, with no discernible accent, yet must repeat, or try multiple variations of the same commands to get my desired result--and, more often than not, have to give up and type the text manually. No such issues with my Android...first try does the trick better than 99% of the time.

Having only a single button at the bottom of the phone to get to EVERYTHING is so frustrating! From screen lock, I have to push it so many times just to get to the phone app, it's ridiculous. When I type text messages, the suggested words are generic, not intuitive at all. My Android almost knows what I want to text before I type it. I can select any number of launchers to customize my experience, or leave it stock.

I've had the same LG V20 for years now without lock ups or app issues / failures. Very reliable, through multiple OS updates.

My two cents...I like my work iPhone. It gets the job done. My Android is...fun.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:38 AM   #27
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
PnCRedJwl2SS mentioned the two things that do irritate me about iOS. Siri does get on my nerves every now and then when I use voice commands. I’d say the accuracy rate is in the high 80s. Needs to be so close to 100% that each eff up is memorable. And sometimes AutoCorrect gets on my nerves. That happens maybe once or twice a day.

But the other issues mentioned might be from an earlier iOS setup. Transferring photos and music between my phone, my Mac, my iPad and my families devices couldn’t be easier. The AirDrop utility is awesome. And the placement of app icons on the screen is pretty much as I want them. I can group them the way I want to group them, put the apps and/or groups on whatever pages I want.

All the rest is just a matter of preference. My iPad has the one button operations system, my iPhone X has no button but operates by Facial Recognition. That operates AWESOME. If Apple can improve Siri to being as functional as FR, NOBODY would complain about Siri. I also have FR on my MicroSoft Surface. IOS FR beats the pants off of MS FR. It isn’t even close.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:52 AM   #28
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
PnCRedJwl2SS mentioned the two things that do irritate me about iOS. Siri does get on my nerves every now and then when I use voice commands. I’d say the accuracy rate is in the high 80s. Needs to be so close to 100% that each eff up is memorable. And sometimes AutoCorrect gets on my nerves. That happens maybe once or twice a day.

But the other issues mentioned might be from an earlier iOS setup. Transferring photos and music between my phone, my Mac, my iPad and my families devices couldn’t be easier. The AirDrop utility is awesome. And the placement of app icons on the screen is pretty much as I want them. I can group them the way I want to group them, put the apps and/or groups on whatever pages I want.

All the rest is just a matter of preference. My iPad has the one button operations system, my iPhone X has no button but operates by Facial Recognition. That operates AWESOME. If Apple can improve Siri to being as functional as FR, NOBODY would complain about Siri. I also have FR on my MicroSoft Surface. IOS FR beats the pants off of MS FR. It isn’t even close.
Exactly! I dont get why people complain about apples simplicity. It is that simplicity that I love. I have used BB, Samsung, and HTC to name a few and none compare to the ease of navigation I find with apple. My BB damn near drove me mad (it was a work smart phone). No buttons that would allow me to go back to the main menu, I had to swipe a very specific way which would not work every time. Hardware wise I am sure there are better set ups but nothing I have come across yet that is as easy to use. I wont be switching anytime soon. Now, why people choose this forum post to try to debate the other platforms and smart phones is beyond me. This was posted to let people know that carplay will soon have waze in the next IOS update among other features.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote