Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #29
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
It's just amazing how you can do a conversion. Everything basically from the b-pillars forward has to be reverse engineered, flipped backward and upside down.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #30
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
Wow! Nice work!!
Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #31
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
How did you guys address the Camaro only being safety reinforced on the LHD side of the A-pillar/subframe forming? The Camaro fails the new passenger side overlap test, which would be a driver side overlap test for Oz. Prior to a year or two ago, no such test existed here, so carmakers only reinforced the area that needed it to pass crash tests.

I would not want to take a RHD converted Camaro onto a track.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #32
Camaro6.com.au

Drives: 2 x 2016 2SS Camaros & 2015 Camaro
Yes, parts for the Euro Camaro can be had, only one part made the cut for us though: The Euro reverse light in the bumper.
Rear amber indicators, change the bulb and wiring, add an ECU that does the 'fast flash' feature only on the indicators (not Euro Camaro), don't need fold in mirrors to be legal here, RHD headlights, not needed, the OEM LHD pass easily. The radio tunes just fine, and the Euro SatNav is no good here either, it has European mapping, we are in Australia! But we solved that as well....not bad for a small business......Thanks for the kudos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazzy View Post
Also surprised you cannot source parts from the Euro Camaro. It is sold here in UK in limited numbers. I have a 2018 model
It has amber rear indicators, rear fog light, larger wing mirrors that fold in, side proximity alert, right hand drive headlights, a radio that tunes into our frequencies and a sat nav that works in all European countries...all straight from the factory

Chevvy have therefore done a lot of the ground work

OK we still only get them in left hand drive here but we are permitted to drive lhd cars of any age without issue here in UK

Always amazing how you manage to do these conversion so well...never understood how you manage to reverse the dashboard and controls so cleanly and tidily. Very impressive work ...but must add quite some cost to the car

As for Chevvy not making a RHD version...I suppose there is good and bad in that. Mustangs are rather commonplace here now and I saw quite a few in Oz too last time I was there.. so its sort of lost its unique "American" image somewhat. As an everyday sight Mustangs are just not quite so special anymore

Camaro however are still extremely rare here in UK...you rarely see them...Thats a big plus for many drivers
That must appeal to drivers in Oz too and help soften the blow of the conversion cost
Camaro6.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #33
Camaro6.com.au

If you do a CAD analysis, it would come back fine, plus they have different crash testing parameters here to America.

Doesn't matter anyway, they have been crash tested here in RHD form and they pass no problem. Can't say the Mustang fared as well in RHD when first introduced here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
How did you guys address the Camaro only being safety reinforced on the LHD side of the A-pillar/subframe forming? The Camaro fails the new passenger side overlap test, which would be a driver side overlap test for Oz. Prior to a year or two ago, no such test existed here, so carmakers only reinforced the area that needed it to pass crash tests.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #34
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post

That's a deciding factor for tracking a car? Seems like a disproportionate assessment of risk. If that's such a concern, do you ban passengers from driving with you on the street?

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #35
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
Nice job on the conversion. Does GM step up and help you with the dashboards, wiring and such?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 AM   #36
Camaro6.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt fe2o3 View Post
Nice job on the conversion. Does GM step up and help you with the dashboards, wiring and such?

Absolutely not! They (GM) don't want to know about it.
thanks for the kudos.

Also try buying them new for export....not easy!

We do everything in-house, plastic injection molding, dashboards, ECU modules sometimes, wiring, HVAC etc as we have since 1989 all here in Sydney. Cool huh?
Old 09-25-2018, 02:05 AM   #37
Camaro6.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
That's a deciding factor for tracking a car? Seems like a disproportionate assessment of risk. If that's such a concern, do you ban passengers from driving with you on the street?

Nigel

Agree. We did do GEN 3 & GEN 4 Vipers to RHD also, did an SRT10 ACR, had 750HP, he drove it on the street as well as raced it and still does, at racetracks (roundy-round).
This is it:
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2018, 02:24 AM   #38
matt fe2o3

Dude that's wicked - great talent. I don't even want to guess what an SS would cost down there.

Really cool.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:49 AM   #39
matt fe2o3

Double post here - but what is really nice is that tear down photo with the front clip off. guys like me that just have a 2SS will never see it like that - unless there's a collision repair (God forbid). It's nice to see what's going on.

Sydney's a nice place. I have an Aprilia riding buddy (we are Aprilia riders) down there and my wife and I really enjoyed it. We used to go to the Welcome Hotel in Rozelle for dinner and drinks but it's been almost 15 years now.

Keep up the good work - love the production photos!
Old 09-25-2018, 07:49 AM   #40
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Very impressive!
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #41
Bad Anvil Garage

Drives: 2000 GMPPSV SS & 2017 ILE SS
Man.... seems like it would be easier to just get everyone to start driving on the RIGHT side of the road!
Bad Anvil Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #42
Camaro6.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Anvil Garage View Post
Man.... seems like it would be easier to just get everyone to start driving on the RIGHT side of the road!

Yes, the steering wheel is on the RIGHT (hand) side!

Tags
drive, hand, rhd