Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
J_jungy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
6th gen LT camaro harness

I own a 2016 Camaro LT. I recently bought LED headlight bulbs off eBay but when I swapped out the stock halogen bulbs with the Led bulbs, they didn’t turn on. I’m assuming it’s because I need a harness..

For those of you who have had experience swapping out stock halogen bulbs with led, could you point me into the right direction and let me know if the harness is what I require and if so, where I can buy them?

I don’t plan on swapping out the whole headlight, just the bulbs.
J_jungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_jungy View Post
I own a 2016 Camaro LT. I recently bought LED headlight bulbs off eBay but when I swapped out the stock halogen bulbs with the Led bulbs, they didn’t turn on. I’m assuming it’s because I need a harness..

For those of you who have had experience swapping out stock halogen bulbs with led, could you point me into the right direction and let me know if the harness is what I require and if so, where I can buy them?

I don’t plan on swapping out the whole headlight, just the bulbs.
They should just work, no harness is needed if you have proper LED replacements. Did your LED kit come with drivers and heatsinks for each bulb? Can you post a photo?
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
one R

Drives: 2017 1ss
I don't know what bulbs or kit you bought . But the halogen set from the basic bulbs should have no problem powering the led set up . And since it does not use that light for the day time running light you would not have any problem with the led driver going bad from low power supply. .. Some thing was probably missed
one R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #4
J_jungy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
They should just work, no harness is needed if you have proper LED replacements. Did your LED kit come with drivers and heatsinks for each bulb? Can you post a photo?
Here is the pic of the LED bulbs. I bought them off ebay for only about $40 which shipped from China... Perhaps faulty bulbs then?
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_jungy View Post
Here is the pic of the LED bulbs. I bought them off ebay for only about $40 which shipped from China... Perhaps faulty bulbs then?
Based on your pic, they should work as-is, although I must say they look very el cheapo. If neither lit up, you might want to test them separately with a 12V DC power supply, they might be just faulty units or damaged in transit.

BTW I bought rebadged Supernova V3's tested in the video below, currently selling at $60 a pair on amazon (you need two, an H11 pair for low beams and another HB3 one for high beams) and they worked like a charm. (The version I bought had aluminum cooling fins, ie passive cooling, which I personally prefer to these minuscule fans that are badly prone to rattling after a while, the tradeoff was that I could not replace all the protective covers, which runs a risk of hazing in high humidity. Didn't happen to me, though. And in the meantime I realized I couldn't live without the RS/SS eyebrow LED's and replaced the entire headlight assy, oh well.)

Last edited by arpad_m; 12-29-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: layout, typo
Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I think you have the wrong bulbs. The manual doesn't tell you the correct bulb number but looking online I see the high beams are 9005 and the low beams are H11. So converting them to LEDs should use "H10, HB3, HB3A, H12, 9040, 9045, 9140, 9145, HIR1, H1R1, 9005XS, 9005LL, 9005, 9011" according to GTR lightning Website. They have a good cross reference but I think these are the wrong bulb for high beams. Not sure why they would have a driver wiring harness. I think these are several years old because the new ones have the drivers attached to the bulb assembly. Good Luck.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:26 PM   #7
arpad_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I think you have the wrong bulbs. The manual doesn't tell you the correct bulb number but looking online I see the high beams are 9005 and the low beams are H11. So converting them to LEDs should use "H10, HB3, HB3A, H12, 9040, 9045, 9140, 9145, HIR1, H1R1, 9005XS, 9005LL, 9005, 9011" according to GTR lightning Website. They have a good cross reference but I think these are the wrong bulb for high beams. Not sure why they would have a driver wiring harness. I think these are several years old because the new ones have the drivers attached to the bulb assembly. Good Luck.
Even if the design is old, these are H11 bulbs with seemingly proper drivers.

Also, just my curiosity, but if the drivers are physically attached to the bulb assembly as opposed to being connected via a harness, how do you even fit the thing into the headlight housing? There is hardly any room, I'm not even sure these heatsinks and the cooling fan would not stick out the back. The stuff I'm seeing on amazon right now typically has separate drivers.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
J_jungy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Even if the design is old, these are H11 bulbs with seemingly proper drivers.

Also, just my curiosity, but if the drivers are physically attached to the bulb assembly as opposed to being connected via a harness, how do you even fit the thing into the headlight housing? There is hardly any room, I'm not even sure these heatsinks and the cooling fan would not stick out the back. The stuff I'm seeing on amazon right now typically has separate drivers.
First, Thank you so much for your help!! I appreciate the support and I'll have to see if they really were just faulty lights (most likeyly). I'll keep an eye out for the bulbs you recommended if they were.

As far as fitting the bulbs in the housing, luckily my sister has tiny hands, but even for her it was very difficult. And yes, the cooling fan sticks out the back so what I had to do was drill a hole in the housing cap.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Those are going to have crap output and shoot light into everyone's eyes.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harness, headlight, headlight bulb