#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-02-2021, 10:20 PM   #15
Sorange

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
Bringing back an old thread. I’m prepping for a track day and have a lot of grease coming out of the gold mesh breather. So this is nothing to worry about? It sure has made a mess of my hub.
Wondering as well as I noticed the exact same thing when I put my car into storage back in October. My B2B warranty expires next winter so wordeing if I need to have my front struts warrantied!
Sorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:09 AM   #16
JT Camaro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
time to do some investigation
JT Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #17
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I have the same seepage on both front struts. I haven't noticed anything strange when driving.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:44 AM   #18
Crushed 1LE

Drives: 2022 ZL1(FEA suspension) Rapid Blue
Noticed a clunk when applying the brakes in reverse. Passenger side rear DSSV leaking badly. Having it replaced when the weather improves.
Crushed 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #19
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I could swear I read an article about some of the struts getting too much assembly grease during assembly. And because of this excess grease this condition was normal. For some reason I thought I read about it through a Z28 link.
I never noticed anything on mine last I had it on the hoist. Sucks that it’s winter here and my car is put away cause I would like to look at it again.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #20
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushed 1LE View Post
Noticed a clunk when applying the brakes in reverse. Passenger side rear DSSV leaking badly. Having it replaced when the weather improves.
Probably your brake pads. Mine does it too, sometimes, if I hit the brakes hard enough while backing up.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:12 PM   #21
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
The breather leaking is most likely normal according to Chevy... as long as it's within a certain about which they say is due to excess grease being applied inside during assembly and the overage being pushed out as designed.

I have this on one strut too, clean the mess and monitor. If it doesn't come back everything is good to go.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #22
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Both my fronts were just replaced. Started like that from the gold screw and ended up leaking out so bad the fluid was everywhere especially on the inside of the wheel hub. 7K miles on the car and nearly all of them are track miles. This is a common issue. My friend checked his and they were leaking as well so he had to have them replaced.

This is more likely to get worse over time. If the are leaking get them fixed before the warranty is out. They are quite expensive. I believe they are about $1500 a strut so replacement with labor and tax is roughly 4K and an alignment will be necessary after replacement. Alignment is covered if replaced under warranty.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 10:30 PM   #23
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Check this thread for more info, including from Chevrolet:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580907

The grease coming from the brass vent is normal, GM has a bulletin on it. These struts are inverted insert dampers, the grease is not a sign that they are "blown". I have had the Z/28 DSSV's apart and they will leak grease also. They are designed very similar to the ZLE DSSVs. The excessive grease will eventually stop coming from the breather. Judging from what I saw from my DSSVs, there is plenty of grease to do the job.

I installed a set of Z/28 DSSVs on my '14 1LE. The DSSVs were brand new and at some point after use I had some grease coming out of the sintered brass vent. IIRC, I noticed this when I removed them to install lowering spring. In doing that I disassembled the front DSSVs. Primary reason in doing this was I wanted to see the bumpstop, which is inside the assembly. The fronts come apart easy. Once apart I could see how the insert works within the body. Upon reassembly, I removed the brass vent, cleaned it with BraKleen and reinstalled. I broke one of the brass vents on reassembly, but I found the same ones somewhere on the interwebs. If anyone ever breaks one of those vents, I have extra, just hit me up with a PM.

Once I cleaned the brass vent, I have not had any excess grease coming out. That has been since 2016 and I track my car heavily. No grease leaking and no problems with the DSSVs.

Last edited by cdb95z28; 01-04-2021 at 10:48 PM.
cdb95z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #24
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
Check this thread for more info, including from Chevrolet:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580907

The grease coming from the brass vent is normal, GM has a bulletin on it. These struts are inverted insert dampers, the grease is not a sign that they are "blown". I have had the Z/28 DSSV's apart and they will leak grease also. They are designed very similar to the ZLE DSSVs. The excessive grease will eventually stop coming from the breather. Judging from what I saw from my DSSVs, there is plenty of grease to do the job.

I installed a set of Z/28 DSSVs on my '14 1LE. The DSSVs were brand new and at some point after use I had some grease coming out of the sintered brass vent. IIRC, I noticed this when I removed them to install lowering spring. In doing that I disassembled the front DSSVs. Primary reason in doing this was I wanted to see the bumpstop, which is inside the assembly. The fronts come apart easy. Once apart I could see how the insert works within the body. Upon reassembly, I removed the brass vent, cleaned it with BraKleen and reinstalled. I broke one of the brass vents on reassembly, but I found the same ones somewhere on the interwebs. If anyone ever breaks one of those vents, I have extra, just hit me up with a PM.

Once I cleaned the brass vent, I have not had any excess grease coming out. That has been since 2016 and I track my car heavily. No grease leaking and no problems with the DSSVs.
Thanks for this. Now that I recall, yes I did have the thick yellowish grease out of the brass vent first. I wiped this away and never really saw it again. The fluid that was covering the bottom of the strut, suspension and the inside of the wheel hub was an oil and this seemed to be coming out the bottom nut. However that could be just where it collected due to gravity. The struts definitely needed replacing in my situation.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:26 PM   #25
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Have this yellow grease concentrating at the top inside of the passenger side wheel hub. At first I thought it might be the hub but the color and pattern look like your pics. No issues that I can tell. This corner takes a beating at COTA at the end of all of the high speed straights ending in a hairpin. Driver's side is fine.

You guys might also check your strut bolts at the hub. I had the car aligned and the shop did not get the bolts at the strut (for camber) tight enough. This has happened twice. The struts ended up loosening and wandering/flexing on turns where they connect to the knuckle. This could have put unusual lateral stress on the strut. Jack up the car and see if you can move the strut. I think that blue paint is slippery until it is scuffed off.

10,500 miles on car.