Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #1
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th edition
Amsoil or LS30?

So There still seems to be alot of different Thoughts on Oil for a cammed car.
Im leaning to Amsoil or LS30. Pros cons on either?
I was about to pull the trigger on Amsoil, but I called a local rep and he is selling to me the same price I can get online as a preferred customer.
So I asked if he got a discount on shipping, he said it would be the same shipping charges. He wanted me to order it from him so he got the credit too. So why would I order through a local rep and not just buy direct. Kinda pissed me off and now i've started to question their practices at Amsoil.

So now I'm leaning more towards the LS30.
Thoughts on which is better?
GVA 45TH 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
So are you concerned about price, shipping or what is best for a cammed LS engine?
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

I want whats best for a cammed LS engine.
The shipping/price thing was just a concern over business practices.
From what I see on their site.
Amsoil gives a discount on shipping on orders over $100 or a discount for preferred customers, but not both.
I can order the oil without the help of a local dealer, and end up getting it for the same price. So why would I use them to get it, what is the incentive?

Anyway, i've read about Amsoil and LS30 being the top 2 for cammed LS3s. A couple of others as well, I seen that you recommend redline but I don't know enough about them or what kind to get. I don't want a race oil, but a street oil. I still have CATs as its a daily but do drag the car once a year.
What Should I get?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
todd69gs

Drives: 2014 Crystal Red 1LE 2SS
Here's the way it was explained to me. Zrod is excellent for a car that sits and is not a dd because of the anti corrosion additives. If you dd and are not concerned about this then the Amsoil sig series oil will do just fine, although the zrod does have a little higher zinc/phosphorus content.
As far as ordering...my amsoil contact told me to become a preferred member and order direct. So that's what I do.
todd69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:36 PM   #5
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Both are good. After my cam install, I went with BR30 for breakin and LS30 after that. LS30 is geared towards the LS series engines...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
AGM 1LE

Drives: 14 SS/ 1LE
I have been using LS30 since my cam install. I buy it by the case
AGM 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
LS30 on Amazon Prime, 2 day shipping free
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Nothing but good luck with LS30. Been using it since the first oil change. 4 cams later driven hard and a DD everything looks good. I don't run cats but I have heard from others it hurts them. Take it for what it's worth.
I would not run anything different unless I had no other choice.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:47 PM   #9
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Thanks guys I went with Amsoil for now, still worried a bit about fouling the CATs.
Plus I ordered back on the 6th before everyone chimed in. LOL
Anyone have issues with the higher ZDPP in LS30 affecting the sniffer part of emisions testing?
Old 11-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
Scotty D2014

Drives: 2014 SS1-1le Crystal red metallic
I was going to ask that same question .
Scotty D2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #11
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVA 45TH 2SS View Post
Thanks guys I went with Amsoil for now, still worried a bit about fouling the CATs.
Plus I ordered back on the 6th before everyone chimed in. LOL
Anyone have issues with the higher ZDPP in LS30 affecting the sniffer part of emisions testing?
I get inspected without cats here.... If you pick the correct inspection station where they don't do a visual you have nothing to worry about as long as you don't have a CEL. With cats you should be good to go.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
The benefit of a Amsoil dealer is that he has it in stock. If he doesnt stock it just get a prefered account. Amsoil dealers get it at the same price you can get it for. Anyone can be a dealer. You want ZRod 10w30 for a cammed car. both are good oils. ZRod is not just for cars sitting around. It has additives that work well if your car is stored but it is meant for any car that needs the added ZDDP as with a cammed car. DD or not. It will not harm your cats.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
GVA 45TH 2SS
KNGTFALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
The benefit of a Amsoil dealer is that he has it in stock. If he doesnt stock it just get a prefered account. Amsoil dealers get it at the same price you can get it for. Anyone can be a dealer. You want ZRod 10w30 for a cammed car. both are good oils. ZRod is not just for cars sitting around. It has additives that work well if your car is stored but it is meant for any car that needs the added ZDDP as with a cammed car. DD or not. It will not harm your cats.
I thought the ZDDP would affect the CATs.

I still run CATs and use a Lenient inspection station, but they still run the sniffer test. I hope the higher levels of Zinc wont fail me.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I don't think it will.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote