Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-03-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Public service announcement...the dangers of tailgating.

I know most of us avoid this simply to avoid getting any rock dinks & not smart to do in general, but it cost someone today.

I was in the 3/4 ton company truck on the hwy in the left lane behind a big rig going 75 & he was passing another big rig going 74.5...nothing you can do but hurry up & wait on these deals, right??

Well, what appeared to be a rather new gen6 was trying to get in the bed of my truck for some reason & didn't get a chance to see / take evasive action from a good size piece of big rig re-tread they are always tossing. (I call them gators) The rig straddled it easy & I barely cleared it...the Camaro, not so much & peeled off right away to asses the damage.

Anyway, thought I would pass it along...I was actually a little too close to the rig myself & really didn't have any room to do anything, but may have been able to save the guy behind me if I was a bit further back.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
DWillys

Drives: Truck
Apparently some people don't get this - tailgating someone doesn't make them go faster. If I'm tailgated I drive slower as I'm now braking for 2.
DWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #3
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Amazing timing on this, i was just ranting about this in the off-topic section and mentioning exactly that - if a driver is tailgating me, i have to account for them now and that decreases my 2 second gap to 3 or 4 seconds.

tailgaters listen up - I CAN'T GO FASTER THAN THE VEHICLE IN FRONT OF ME!!! Well, i'm not stupid enough to do it.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
another case for driverless cars.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
apparently we have had brainless drivers for years.driverless cars could be an improvement in that case.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
L99BEN

Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition
With tailgaters, I like to push the brake pedal just enough for the brake lights to come on but not actually slow the car, then accelerate some at the same time. Confuses them every time lol.

Past:
2022 Tesla S Plaid
2020 Shelby GT500 sold
2019 Hellcat Redeye-traded for new GT500
2019 ZL1 A10 - sold (meh)
2019 Tesla M3P
2016 Hellcat Challenger - A8 sold but never forgotten
2016 Camaro 2SS M6
2014 Mustang GT A6
2012 Mustang GT M6 "brembo" 3.73/FBO
2012 Camaro SS L99 (Wife's)
- slow
L99BEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I drive for my job everyday. I cant believe the way some people will tailgate. Common sense would dictate that if anything happens they are toast. It must never occur to them. With all the distractions these days....its scares me.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #8
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I drive for my job everyday. I cant believe the way some people will tailgate. Common sense would dictate that if anything happens they are toast. It must never occur to them. With all the distractions these days....its scares me.
Same here...300-400+ miles a day on average Mon-Fri. I could start a thread everyday on driving stupidity.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
There's tailgaters and driving in traffic. I think some people confuse the two.

I'll drive in traffic with half a car length behind the person in front of me. Maybe 1 car length if we're actually moving at speed in traffic.

That's just heavy traffic driving.

If traffic is light, there's no need to keep such a tight grouping, so i dont.

The real problem tailgators are tailgating as a form of road rage. There's rage already there and that's why they decide to do it, so everything from that point on is a bad decision and will likely lead to more bad choices. That's what causes those kinds of accidents. Driving angry.

edit: Now as far as what someone is doing to me? I don't care if someone is driving on my bumper or not. I dont control how other people drive and I dont try to. If I'm not in the wrong by driving too slow or driving in the left lane ...then it's not my problem and not my concern.

Last edited by cellsafemode; 08-03-2017 at 06:39 PM.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
viewska

Drives: Red Hot Vert
texas here, most people know how to drive, but near the cities you've got some slow people in the fast lane....

now, i dont condone it...

but i get it in the fast lane during non-traffic times
viewska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #11
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

I'll drive in traffic with half a car length behind the person in front of me. Maybe 1 car length if we're actually moving at speed in traffic.

The real problem tailgators are tailgating as a form of road rage. There's rage already there and that's why they decide to do it, so everything from that point on is a bad decision and will likely lead to more bad choices. That's what causes those kinds of accidents. Driving angry.

edit: Now as far as what someone is doing to me? I don't care if someone is driving on my bumper or not. I dont control how other people drive and I dont try to. If I'm not in the wrong by driving too slow or driving in the left lane ...then it's not my problem and not my concern.
1 car length at 65 mph...scary

how often u change your brake pads?
Old 08-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99BEN View Post
With tailgaters, I like to push the brake pedal just enough for the brake lights to come on but not actually slow the car, then accelerate some at the same time. Confuses them every time lol.
Haven't tried this in the Camaro yet, but on other cars I have pushed the hazard light button about halfway in. Lights the tail lamps solid, but not the CHMSL. Most people get the message. Some newer cars have hazard light buttons that you can't push halfway.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #13
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post

No, 1/2 car length is tail gating.
1 car length is tail gating if you are going over 5mph.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #14
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty35 View Post
No, 1/2 car length is tail gating.
1 car length is tail gating if you are going over 5mph.
yeah dangerous.

traffic safety norm is 2 seconds length between cars is min safe. at 65 MPH, that is xxxx feet. let me math for a minute.

holy crap my math...190 feet???

5280 × 65 = feet per hour, ÷ 60 minutes ÷ 60 seconds = feet per second? × 2 = 190???

5mph is 14 feet in 2 seconds.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule

Last edited by DenverTaco07; 08-03-2017 at 07:38 PM.
DenverTaco07 is offline   Reply With Quote