Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #1
442DMND

Drives: 2017 SS/1LE
DO NOT SPILL ANY LIQUIDS IN THE TRUNK

Bought a large laundry detergent from Costco and somehow it ended up spilling in the trunk (container is not broken or leaking, still some left in it). Liquid got to the fuse block and possibly the battery sitting under the trunk mat with no protection (at least my 2012 SS had a liner to protect, not the 6th gen)

Dealer telling me fuse block required is in back order and can't give me a time frame of when I will get my car back. Already been a week the car is at the delaer. What can I do to get another Camaro as a loaner?
Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Well, if you have rental coverage under your insurance policy you can turn this in as a comprehensive claim if the damage is over your deductible. We see this occasionally, usually with bleach though.

The dealer likely won't give you a loaner since it is not a warranty situation.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
442DMND

Might be a stupid question but can I convince GM to make the dealer use the part from one of the cars in the lot.

I mean I understand warranty doesn't cover it and I'll have to pay out of pocket to fix but I don't see why I should be paying for a car that I can't use because the part is not available
Old 07-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #4
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442DMND View Post
Might be a stupid question but can I convince GM to make the dealer use the part from one of the cars in the lot.

I mean I understand warranty doesn't cover it and I'll have to pay out of pocket to fix but I don't see why I should be paying for a car that I can't use because the part is not available
They will never pull one from a car on the lot. You might be able to find one used though from a wrecked Camaro. Call some wrecking yards or check car-part.com
Old 07-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
442DMND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
They will never pull one from a car on the lot. You might be able to find one used though from a wrecked Camaro. Call some wrecking yards or check car-part.com
Thanks for your help man
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Quote:
Thanks for your help man
Old 07-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:

If the parts do not become avail within a reasonable amt of time (15-20 days), the service mgr can get GM to get you a loaner or if it goes longer, they can authorize a lease payment or two.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
crazydmc
ummmm

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Nightfall w/Blk Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
If the parts do not become avail within a reasonable amt of time (15-20 days), the service mgr can get GM to get you a loaner or if it goes longer, they can authorize a lease payment or two.
maybe if this was a warranty repair...

but in this case (damage repair) I don't see why dealer/GM would be obligated to do anything beyond trying to get the part as soon as possible.
crazydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydmc View Post

but in this case (damage repair) I don't see why dealer/GM would be obligated to do anything beyond trying to get the part as soon as possible.
They are not obligated. However, perfect opportunity to win a customer for life. Going above and beyond our obligations is always a good thing. People just don't expect that.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
442DMND

Quote:

I completely understand how it is not covered by warranty but it's not like there was any negligence on my part either. I bought the damn thing and it spilled in the trunk without being broken or leaking.

This is a major design issue from GM not protecting the electronics in the trunk which is where people spill all kinds of liquids from water to bleach
Old 07-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:

Nope, they'll do it if you push it. They may want 30 days to meet their criteria but they have the policy adjustment budget to do it. A serv mgr will have to push it.

Did that very job for 3 diff car mfr's in my career, and I wrote lots of checks when parts were not avail, in and out of warranty.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:07 PM   #12
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Nope, they'll do it if you push it. They may want 30 days to meet their criteria but they have the policy adjustment budget to do it. A serv mgr will have to push it.

Did that very job for 3 diff car mfr's in my career, and I wrote lots of checks when parts were not avail, in and out of warranty.
That's what I'm talking about.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
interceptor

Drives: Stock '17 2SS M6 50th - DD '99 F150
I know the horse is already out of the barn on this one, but my first investment with every car that I've gotten is one of those plastic trunk organizers. All of the liquids from the store (milk, soda, cleaners, etc) go in there - got mine at the "container store". Maybe it will help others.

interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #14
442DMND

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Sorry to hear man. Get me the part# they claim is on backorder or, did they actually say "part restriction"?. I can get you information.
EDIT:

It doesn't even matter, you have a same model year 2017. The regional manager can get the part pulled. Might take a week or two.
Would greatly appreciate any help locating one. Part number is 084081785