Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 PM   #29
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
When it first came out, I liked the GT350 as much as I could for it being a Ford.

Honestly, with no bias I can say that it's kind of grown old, at least in my opinion. I get it, it's all Ford guys have had to tout for a while now but seriously...It's not fast, while the 8200 RPM redline is impressive for a modern American production car engine, it's not impressive in the world of flat plane cranks. The sound really is overrated. Once you get past the fact that oh yippee it revs to 8000, you realize it sounds like a tin can gargling marbles. Any exhaust I've heard fitted to it only makes it worse.

It's not in the same class as the regular ZL1, let alone a ZLE. Those who have them, please enjoy them. I know I'd enjoy hitting 8000 RPM with a mansmission attached. But calling it anything past a one off, special car in 2018 is kind of a stretch. And it's a stretch that's been made way too much.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #30
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
^ That's a fairly opinionated statement, though.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #31
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
When it first came out, I liked the GT350 as much as I could for it being a Ford.

Honestly, with no bias I can say that it's kind of grown old, at least in my opinion. I get it, it's all Ford guys have had to tout for a while now but seriously...It's not fast, while the 8200 RPM redline is impressive for a modern American production car engine, it's not impressive in the world of flat plane cranks. The sound really is overrated. Once you get past the fact that oh yippee it revs to 8000, you realize it sounds like a tin can gargling marbles. Any exhaust I've heard fitted to it only makes it worse.

It's not in the same class as the regular ZL1, let alone a ZLE. Those who have them, please enjoy them. I know I'd enjoy hitting 8000 RPM with a mansmission attached. But calling it anything past a one off, special car in 2018 is kind of a stretch. And it's a stretch that's been made way too much.
I have to agree with 2Much, I couldn't wait to get rid of my Mustang GT for the GT350. I loved the sound of it and the redline. But the lack of low end anything was annoying at best. It just bogged down. There were Ooo's and Aww's when I first got it because it was new. Same with the ZL1. But I have to say that the 2012 M3 4.0L V8 8250 rpm redline car I had really had a much more special car feeling then the GT350; the engine was smooth as glass never one shimmy or shake. The fit and finish was the best car I have owned. If someone gave me choice between the two and said pick one, it would be the M3.

But I am glad I have the ZL1 now.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #32
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
If one test drives a Shelby and only revs it to 4K rpm, it wasn’t a test drive.

That car wasn’t even waking up with that insane 8200 rpm redline.

Yes, all mustangs are revers and need to be wound out for fun.
That is one reason I have an LT1 under my hood. I like grunt off idle.
This is also what I thought after test driving a Mustang GT. Everyone told me "don't buy the Camaro until after you try the Mustang! The Mustang is really great, blah, blah, blah." So, I drove one.

The Mustang is a nice car and I mean no disrespect to those who like them, but holy cow, you REALLY had to put your foot into it to get much response. Once in the upper RPM range it had plenty of power, but I hated the distinct lack of torque at low RPM.

As a daily driver, you would have to choose between driving it in the "no power zone" of low RPMs, which is easily possible if you intend to stay anywhere near the speed limit, OR you drive it up in the power zone and end up with a bunch of speeding tickets or even losing your license. The Camaro, OTOH, lets you have fun with its massive torque right off idle, allowing you to have fun without immediately entering the "ticket me now" zone.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #33
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
This is also what I thought after test driving a Mustang GT. Everyone told me "don't buy the Camaro until after you try the Mustang! The Mustang is really great, blah, blah, blah." So, I drove one.

The Mustang is a nice car and I mean no disrespect to those who like them, but holy cow, you REALLY had to put your foot into it to get much response. Once in the upper RPM range it had plenty of power, but I hated the distinct lack of torque at low RPM.

As a daily driver, you would have to choose between driving it in the "no power zone" of low RPMs, which is easily possible if you intend to stay anywhere near the speed limit, OR you drive it up in the power zone and end up with a bunch of speeding tickets or even losing your license. The Camaro, OTOH, lets you have fun with its massive torque right off idle, allowing you to have fun without immediately entering the "ticket me now" zone.
There is another bad side affect to driving a high revving car that needs the upper RPM's to really move for daily driving duty as well, and that is you look like an ass and everyone gets pissed at out.

I had that issue with my 08' M3, which sounded AMAZING in the upper RPM range, BUT the general public thinks you are an ass and you get a lot of pissed off people staring at you.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #34
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
There is another bad side affect to driving a high revving car that needs the upper RPM's to really move for daily driving duty as well, and that is you look like an ass and everyone gets pissed at out.

I had that issue with my 08' M3, which sounded AMAZING in the upper RPM range, BUT the general public thinks you are an ass and you get a lot of pissed off people staring at you.
So true. I drove a GT3 around for a few days and the power is really at 4000+ and it revs to 9000 and sounds AMAZING doing it. But you get lots of looks when people hear an engine winding out to 6000+ RPM - some of the attention you definitely do not want.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #35
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
So true. I drove a GT3 around for a few days and the power is really at 4000+ and it revs to 9000 and sounds AMAZING doing it. But you get lots of looks when people hear an engine winding out to 6000+ RPM - some of the attention you definitely do not want.
Yep.

I have also noticed that people seem to get offended with rev. match too. It's even louder in mine, since I have the Corsa exhaust, but for whatever reason , people take it personal when they hear it rev. match.

I live in a complex and I try to turn rev. match off before I get into the parking lot. My complex is big and I live towards the back and have to go over like 4 speed bumps, and everytime I approach a speed bump and put the clutch in, it blips and people walking give me dirty looks, like I am revving at them.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #36
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:

Oh! I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

The Camaro is the first car that I have personally owned that gets any attention from other drivers. Am still not used to it.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #37
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Yep.

I have also noticed that people seem to get offended with rev. match too. It's even louder in mine, since I have the Corsa exhaust, but for whatever reason , people take it personal when they hear it rev. match.

I live in a complex and I try to turn rev. match off before I get into the parking lot. My complex is big and I live towards the back and have to go over like 4 speed bumps, and everytime I approach a speed bump and put the clutch in, it blips and people walking give me dirty looks, like I am revving at them.
Now that you say that, that has also happened to me a lot. People think I am trying to get attention when the RevMatch blips. I'm not, so I have to remember to turn it off.

Past Rides

Last edited by unavailablezl1; 12-14-2018 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #38
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I will haft to check the car sticker it might have had lowering springs because it dug/had some drag on the street on the front spoiler.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 AM   #39
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
I have to agree with 2Much, I couldn't wait to get rid of my Mustang GT for the GT350. I loved the sound of it and the redline. But the lack of low end anything was annoying at best. It just bogged down. There were Ooo's and Aww's when I first got it because it was new. Same with the ZL1. But I have to say that the 2012 M3 4.0L V8 8250 rpm redline car I had really had a much more special car feeling then the GT350; the engine was smooth as glass never one shimmy or shake. The fit and finish was the best car I have owned. If someone gave me choice between the two and said pick one, it would be the M3.

But I am glad I have the ZL1 now.
that's too bad BMW got rid of the V8 with the M3. That engine was a screamer!
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #40
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
that's too bad BMW got rid of the V8 with the M3. That engine was a screamer!
I drove a 328i as a loaner while the M3 was getting the alignment and such. What a dog of a car. The automatic transmission would hold a gear way to long and not upshift. I would have to at least get a M5 if I ever got another BMW. The 4.4L in that is really something. But it is 4370 lbs: not good for a track like the M3 at 3494+ lbs. I just can't have a 6cyl in a sports car, except for maybe a Porsche.

Past Rides
Old 12-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #41
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:

I agree. Not even in the same class, but I just installed a JLT intake and tuned it and it woke up big time so. The only 2 things I put the 350 over the Zl1 is handling and seats. But, it is what it is. I bought a 350 cus I wanted one. Now it's time to mod!!!! Gonna just do a solid 800 hp build and call it a day.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #42
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

In the middle between my previous '14 Camaro Zl1 and my actual '14 Corvette Stingray Z51. I test drove a brand new Shelby GT350, and this was my driving impression:

1. The exhaust sound and the 8000 rpm driving limit were mighty addictive.

2. The steering, braking, shifting driving were great.

3. Didn't felt that the car was faster compared to my 5th. gen Zl1 or my actual Stingray.

4. Suspension felt about the same (wasn't an "R") and did not had a change to test it hard on a curve, but it felt agile, it didn't had a "rough drive feeling". I had a previous '11 Mustang GT 5.0 with a modified track suspension, and can't say that it was rough compared to it.

5. The cockpit with the Recaros was great looking and seats felt great, even that the adjustment was only mechanical (no electric adjustments).

6. From the exterior the red "wine" color looked like any other Mustang, probably didn't look special, because it didn't had the center stripe.

7. I told the salesmen that they were crazy of asking 10K over MSRP for this car, after the test drive, I left very happy thinking that the driving feeling and looks of my 5th ZL1 was much better compared to the Shelby, and for that type of $ that they were asking that I would buy instead a Corvette, next thing I was driving my new Stingray Z51, both GMs were better car options compared to the Shelby GT350.

For the $ the 6th gen Camaro SS1LE and the Zl1 are better cars choices compared to the Shelby GT350. The great "R" experience its only because of its track tires, carbon light wheels and carbon brakes, that is the only thing special, compared with the superb 6th gen Camaro's platform that is better balanced even ridding on street tires.

To our BMW M3 friend. After I read what the '11 Mustang GT 5.0 track package did to the BMW M3 on the MT edition, both tested by Randy Pobst, I rush to buy that type of Mustang. I also competed at my local PCA track VS a modified M3 (V8 model), and my car was able to keep up with that car on straights and at the curves, probably my driving effort with a heavier car was higher taking it to the limits compared with the lighter BMW, until I boiled the brake fluid on my stock Brembo brakes, while driving it hard after several laps. That M3 had bigger after market brakes which were probably stronger for that type of track event.

It's amazing the way American sport cars: ( 6th. gen Camaros, C7 Corvettes, Viper ACR, Cadillac V models and Shelbys "R") can perform, compared to european sport cars that cost double or triple their price. And this is coming from a previous Porsche 911 Carrera owner (which I also toke to the track).
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 12-18-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote