Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #15
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
The stock tires are what they are. They are wide tires with not as much tread depth. Just as one would drive slower and with more caution in a snow condition, one should adjust with the ZL1 and GYSC3 tires in the wet. Wet and cold makes it a bit more touchy. Exercise restraint and caution. Reduce speed and allow for greater braking distances.

I live in South Louisiana and rain can be a nearly daily thing, at times. In summer, we have pop-up showers nearly every afternoon. I still drive my car. I just exercise a degree of caution.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:12 AM   #16
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
No. Stock tires are deadly in rain. Mine tried to kill me at 75F in light rain (hydroplaned at 2 weeks and 500 miles). And again at 80F in heavy rain (at 3000 miles).

At 40F and rain, forget it. They will be hockey pucks on black ice.

Spend the big $ on some MPS4S and be done with it. Sell the OEMs to a track day junkie to recoup some (or all) of the premium.
Agreed
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:50 AM   #17
IrocTodd

Drives: 18hyperbluzl1/22C8
I took a trip with mine same day I took delivery with like 2miles on her to go upstate NY on 87n hit some bad august thunderstorms at night at like 75ish it was super bad in the rain just about crashed car. had to slow down to around 45 or so till I felt like I wasn't hydroplaning in very heavy rain could barely see in front of me with no highway lighting wasn't a good feeling scared the crap out of me. I figured the tires would be bad in the rain but not that bad. needless to say that was the only time the car was in the rain.
IrocTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:04 AM   #18
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Agree Lafourche1!!��
Old 02-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #19
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
No. Stock tires are deadly in rain. Mine tried to kill me at 75F in light rain (hydroplaned at 2 weeks and 500 miles). And again at 80F in heavy rain (at 3000 miles).

Spend the big $ on some MPS4S and be done with it. Sell the OEMs to a track day junkie to recoup some (or all) of the premium.
I second this. I'm in Florida as well. When I bought my previous SS 1LE, I quickly realized, after an ass pucker moment, that the SC3's are treacherous in the type of rain we get down here. I won't even do the speed limit on a highway in anything more than light rain.

If you're new to these tires, just take it slow until you see how they do in the rain.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
Swift016

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Best advice !!!
The GY 3r’s hydroplane at 50 mph on a shiny wet surface...doesnt have to be standing water... I’ve been racing open wheel cars on slicks for 30 years and almost crashed my 1le twice driving 20 miles home from the dealer...I ordered the Michelin’s as soon as I got home !

The 3’s May not be as bad as the 3r’s....

Stay safe,
Bill
Swift016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #21
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No the 3s aren’t as bad as the 3Rs because of a tad more tread but still dangerous in real rainy conditions!
Old 02-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #22
Pantherzl1

Drives: 2019 Camaro zl1
I don't go over 55 in heavy rain. I hydroplaned many times, be cautious.
Pantherzl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:45 PM   #23
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
I'll just add that any tires with 285 / 305mm contact patches will hydroplane. Just because they say Michelin on the side of the tire does not magically suspend the laws of physics. This is just like saying that I have snow tires so I drive the speed limit under any condition and I don't care if it is ice and snow covered roads. The issue with the certainty of a crash isn't that the snow tires were faulty, it was the driver not adjusting to the conditions.

Frankly, if you are driving highway speed limits in driving rains, you are on the wrong side of the odds. Stopping distances can easily double. Emergency lane change maneuvers are far more tricky at 70MPH on a wet surface
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #24
BobZL1

Drives: 18 Stingray,19 ZL1
Stock tires are terrible in the rain.
BobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:57 PM   #25
69pro-touring

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
GY Supercar 3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
The stock tires are what they are. They are wide tires with not as much tread depth. Just as one would drive slower and with more caution in a snow condition, one should adjust with the ZL1 and GYSC3 tires in the wet. Wet and cold makes it a bit more touchy. Exercise restraint and caution. Reduce speed and allow for greater braking distances.

I live in South Louisiana and rain can be a nearly daily thing, at times. In summer, we have pop-up showers nearly every afternoon. I still drive my car. I just exercise a degree of caution.
^This. I now have PS4S for a street set of tires, which have some advantages over the SC3's - mainly improved wet traction, better wear, and a very noticeable improvement in road noise (IMO). I keep the SC3's for track days/autox as they easily outperform the PS4S especially once there is any heat in them.

As far as wet traction with the SC3's, its not great but if you drive smart you'll be just fine. I was once caught in torrential rain during a road trip for almost two hours in the pitch dark on unfamiliar mountain highways - plenty of areas of standing water and the tires made it through just fine. All you need to do is reduce your speed and drive carefully - don't expect the tires to handle like its a warm summer day. When they're at the end of their life after a lot of track time, the limits of wet traction will be more pronounced. I can't speak on the 3R's, no experience with them but I would assume they would be worse.
69pro-touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:39 AM   #26
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafourche1 View Post
I'll just add that any tires with 285 / 305mm contact patches will hydroplane. Just because they say Michelin on the side of the tire does not magically suspend the laws of physics. This is just like saying that I have snow tires so I drive the speed limit under any condition and I don't care if it is ice and snow covered roads. The issue with the certainty of a crash isn't that the snow tires were faulty, it was the driver not adjusting to the conditions.

Frankly, if you are driving highway speed limits in driving rains, you are on the wrong side of the odds. Stopping distances can easily double. Emergency lane change maneuvers are far more tricky at 70MPH on a wet surface
When my SC3’s wore out, I replaced them with PS4S’s. DRAMATICALLY better in rain.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote